Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Incomudro

I wonder if the Florida SWL will gain some ground on its California counterpart, since it doesn't need to be built to the earthquake codes?

Incomudro

But Florida does need to be built for Hurricane codes...

Yes, and I have absolutely no idea how those things compare. LOL
I don't know if building the same structure to hurricane codes vs earthquake codes is quicker or takes longer.
My completely uneducated guess says it's quicker.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not sure if this has been discussed, but does anyone know how different DLR and WDW's SWL will be? I know the rides are the same, but is the whole layout nearly identical? Any variation?

There should be as little variation as possible. However, the placement of the lands' entrances will be different due to park configuration. And they may need their berms and peripheral walls to be altered due to park configuration.

BD-Anaheim

The entrances and berm to SWL at Disneyland seems much more elaborate, and possibly more organic to the existing park and framework of Rivers of America. Of course, this is a necessary reality at DLP to ensure that any addition to the park does not negatively impact the brilliance of what is arguably the greatest theme park in the world. DHS has no such consideration.

For this reason, I would think that the bigger challenge exists at DLP rather than HS.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wonder if the Florida SWL will gain some ground on its California counterpart, since it doesn't need to be built to the earthquake codes?

But Florida does need to be built for Hurricane codes...
Many are quite similar.

Since WDW has the ability for their engineers to sign off on whatever they build meeting FBC it is unlikely that there will be any changes to the structures due to code issues.

ItlngrlBella

Given the implication of a shorter time, I'm guessing separate load/unload areas? Makes sense as watching 6 strangers exit the same cockpit you're about to enter would rather spoil the illusion of the experience.

But if that's the case, then it stands to reason that the last part of the queue area and first section of the exit area will need to be virtually identical. Because if it's correct that the final portion of the queue will be themed to look like you are walking through the MF, than it stands that you would need to walk back through the ship again when exiting the ride. It really wouldn't work to have all that buildup to get on the ride only to have it end by stepping into a hallway area with a sign denoting "EXIT ->" (at least not if you're going for full immersion).

Just a potential logistical detail I find interesting.

Like Star Tours, somehow I think they'd make some a situation such as enter from left, exit from right (through some "secret escape door.") It's the cheapest and most efficient option, but I'd love something more creative, out-of-the-box surprise.

Exomonia

Like Star Tours, somehow I think they'd make some a situation such as enter from left, exit from right (through some "secret escape door.") It's the cheapest and most efficient option, but I'd love something more creative, out-of-the-box surprise.
What I am also wondering is how they will attempt to solve the issue of the "vanishing" group ahead of you. That is, the group that boards before you enters the cockpit (or lets say, turns the corner which only leads directly to the cockpit)... 30 seconds later, you are called forward, potentially round some corner with only the cockpit in sight ... but the group ahead has mysteriously gone. I feel this could be the bigger issue for "immersion" breaking. I almost feel as though they need to have a fake door or something that could be argued is where the group ahead of you went... it's a weird one, and it is by no means realistically going to make me enjoy the ride any less. I just wonder how they will best deal with this!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What I am also wondering is how they will attempt to solve the issue of the "vanishing" group ahead of you. That is, the group that boards before you enters the cockpit (or lets say, turns the corner which only leads directly to the cockpit)... 30 seconds later, you are called forward, potentially round some corner with only the cockpit in sight ... but the group ahead has mysteriously gone. I feel this could be the bigger issue for "immersion" breaking. I almost feel as though they need to have a fake door or something that could be argued is where the group ahead of you went... it's a weird one, and it is by no means realistically going to make me enjoy the ride any less. I just wonder how they will best deal with this!
Each assembled group (after the first split) will be assigned to one of two carousels. I'd assume the carousel assignment will alternate between groups and so somewhat mask the problem you mention.

toolsnspools

I think some of the construction time gap will be made up while they're fine tuning the new rides. Like FoP in Pandora, it's going to take a while to work out all the kinks. Much of that can be done on the west coast, while the east coast is finishing construction, and that knowledge can be transferred to DHS.

AEfx

I think some of the construction time gap will be made up while they're fine tuning the new rides. Like FoP in Pandora, it's going to take a while to work out all the kinks. Much of that can be done on the west coast, while the east coast is finishing construction, and that knowledge can be transferred to DHS.

Someone who has more knowledge of this, like @marni1971 , would be able to tell better, but I'm presuming that one reason it seems ours is "lagging" is because much more had to be done at DLR in terms of infrastructure - even like laying power, etc. - than at the studios, due to the respective locations. If you watch a lot of the construction videos (FRESHBAKED!) you see a lot of the work that went on this fall/winter was getting basic services out there.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Tauntauns confirmed!
could be
untitled.png

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Someone who has more knowledge of this, like @marni1971 , would be able to tell better, but I'm presuming that one reason it seems ours is "lagging" is because much more had to be done at DLR in terms of infrastructure - even like laying power, etc. - than at the studios, due to the respective locations. If you watch a lot of the construction videos (FRESHBAKED!) you see a lot of the work that went on this fall/winter was getting basic services out there.
It was also my understanding that there was some legal wrangling with the local government in DL that forced them to accelerate the project.

JediMasterMatt

The project was built around Disneyland and was the offshoot of two other attempts to bring SW to the park. When the scope of the project was increased (to make it more HP-esque immersive) and bigger in scale, the thought was that Orlando could take a version of the land and attractions. When the TDO mindset came into play, the penny pinching mindset kicked into overdrive (or lightspeed) and the exact copy (it's really close now since they are digging instead of propping it up higher) was going to make its way East. It was ultimately Orlando's lack of desire to pay the continued costs of operating the 3rd attraction that broke One Disney. There was some serious discussion about not announcing SWL at D23 when they did just because of final decisions over WDW being late.

Bringing WDW into the loop slowed down the plan a bit; but, the real reason it's behind Anaheim is that it was planned to be behind DLR all along. DHS needs the rest of the park ready for the onslaught that is heading their way.

If everything goes according to plan, DLR will be doing soft openings in late 2018. If things slip, then early 2019 for them. The contractor's incentives are written to hit the stretch goals and thus far - they've been hitting their marks. RoA is coming back online in the planned window and then the focus shifts completely to the other side of the berm.

WDW's stretch goal is summer 2019; but, realistically - late 2019/early 2020 is most probable.

While outside contractors can and will be used, when crunch time comes for the final details - internal resources are focused on the West coast first. If DLR gets behind, it will impact WDW. This is another reason why I was originally told late 2018 for DLR and early 2020 for WDW.

ToTBellHop

The project was built around Disneyland and was the offshoot of two other attempts to bring SW to the park. When the scope of the project was increased (to make it more HP-esque immersive) and bigger in scale, the thought was that Orlando could take a version of the land and attractions. When the TDO mindset came into play, the penny pinching mindset kicked into overdrive (or lightspeed) and the exact copy (it's really close now since they are digging instead of propping it up higher) was going to make its way East. It was ultimately Orlando's lack of desire to pay the continued costs of operating the 3rd attraction that broke One Disney. There was some serious discussion about not announcing SWL at D23 when they did just because of final decisions over WDW being late.

Bringing WDW into the loop slowed down the plan a bit; but, the real reason it's behind Anaheim is that it was planned to be behind DLR all along. DHS needs the rest of the park ready for the onslaught that is heading their way.

If everything goes according to plan, DLR will be doing soft openings in late 2018. If things slip, then early 2019 for them. The contractor's incentives are written to hit the stretch goals and thus far - they've been hitting their marks. RoA is coming back online in the planned window and then the focus shifts completely to the other side of the berm.

WDW's stretch goal is summer 2019; but, realistically - late 2019/early 2020 is most probable.

While outside contractors can and will be used, when crunch time comes for the final details - internal resources are focused on the West coast first. If DLR gets behind, it will impact WDW. This is another reason why I was originally told late 2018 for DLR and early 2020 for WDW.
I will concur with the 2nd half of 2019 estimate for DHS. The Mickey LPS's schedule is being aligned with the SWL progress. Both lands should be able to officially open in 2019 though. Bob Iger always gets his way. Remember when Pandora opened in 2015 as announced?

AEfx

If they do open that far apart, I am curious how they do the marketing. One of the big marketing advantages they seem to have is that both coasts will have essentially the same experience. This was very effective in the video they released a month or two ago, where they were able to end it with both the DLR and WDW logos. This seemed ideal for both simplicity as well as reducing guest confusion.

RSoxNo1

I will concur with the 2nd half of 2019 estimate for DHS. The Mickey LPS's schedule is being aligned with the SWL progress. Both lands should be able to officially open in 2019 though. Bob Iger always gets his way. Remember when Pandora opened in 2015 as announced?
FWIW, the first date I ever saw was Rasulo saying 15 or 16 at the 2012 Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference (September 2012, a year after the announcement).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom