Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

WhatJaneSays

Logic suggests that is impossible so I'll believe it when I see it. We've seen gross exaggerations or outright lies from Disney Marketing.

Remember Bob Iger suggesting we would be riding on a breathing banshee on Flight of Passage?

I'm not sure what part of that is impossible? The ride system was designed with this mechanic in mind, which is why it's a fleet of small semi-autonomous simulators rather than a more midsize vehicle sim like Star Tours. While high quality, real time rendering of multi-user input control for simulators has existed for a long time ... that's not 100% what this ride intends to be. The explanation to me was your route was predetermined but your actions, reaction time, and skill would determine how you preformed on the ride. You can't crash or not reach your destination, but you can marginally mess up on the way there and that can effect your ending.

Goofyernmost

Logic suggests that is impossible so I'll believe it when I see it. We've seen gross exaggerations or outright lies from Disney Marketing.

Remember Bob Iger suggesting we would be riding on a breathing banshee on Flight of Passage?
Finally, the concept of impossible comes into the discussion. I've stayed out of this because I have no inside knowledge of what is going to happen. However, it doesn't take a Masters Degree to understand that you cannot directly respond to 6 "Pilots" at the same time or even one for that matter. It has to be a guided set up, if not the same as M:S needs to be quite similar, just with different ride vehicles. If not, then I will be pleasantly surprised, but, I don't expect to be surprised.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not sure what part of that is impossible? The ride system was designed with this mechanic in mind, which is why it's a fleet of small semi-autonomous simulators rather than a more midsize vehicle sim like Star Tours. While high quality, real time rendering of multi-user input control for simulators has existed for a long time ... that's not 100% what this ride intends to be. The explanation to me was your route was predetermined but your actions, reaction time, and skill would determine how you preformed on the ride. You can't crash or not reach your destination, but you can marginally mess up on the way there and that can effect your ending.

The question is, with 6 people in the vehicle what will each person do? Not all 6 can be piloting.

*Q*

The question is, with 6 people in the vehicle what will each person do? Not all 6 can be piloting.
Well, you need one person to pilot, one person to control weapons, one person to shout profanities in an alien language, one person to hit the overhead control panel every time a system clunks out, one person to constantly freak out and quote your odds of success, and a one-man (or one-woman) committee to critique every little thing the pilot does.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
In the movies it always seem that it breaks down, someone or something(s) are chasing them, they have to attack or fire back at someone.
I'm picturing that 2 people pilot, 2 control weapons, 2 control repairs.

Maybe its like Test Track, what you do before will determine the ride? So while in the Queue, the 6 people will each do things that will control and or affect the ride. Like bringing on too much cargo or not wanting to get repairs or deciding a route that ignores a toll/ tax stop... These things you and your team decides before hand would change and affect the ride during it. Just an idea.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
While I have no inside information, if I had to guess on how the Millennium Falcon ride will work with guests actually piloting it, I would guess that it will be similar to the Pirates of the Caribbean simulator/game at Disney Quest.

For those who haven't been on it before, your simulator is made to look like the bough of a pirate ship, and you and your "crew" can freely navigate around the seas, shooting enemy ships, forts, and sea monsters with cannons along the way. The ride assigns everyone roles at the beginning, one person is the captain and everyone else is a gunner. The captain steers the boat around the sea while the gunners shoot at enemies with cannons similar to the ones on Toy Story Midway Mania. Look up a video of it if you're interested.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the Millennium Falcon ride simulators will be similar to this, except maybe with a few sections (like takeoff and landing) where the ship is on auto pilot. It'll probably have seats too, and of course be Star Wars themed. The main difference will be that the simulators will be put on the turntables that insiders have mentioned.

Capsin4

Which does not necessarily mean interacting with the controls.
There are articles out there describing the testing and test subjects scraping the walls of tunnels as they try to fly through them. I don't know why it's such a contentious issue. Control of the ship will be at least somewhat in the hands of riders. Obviously, you won't be able to stray anywhere you want, but will probably have control within some predefined scope.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1.5 acres is as much as the available walkways once all the buildings and scenery are done.

There is zero room for cabanas of that size... unless they're built into the rock face or what @marni1971 pointed out as reserved for a expansion pad within the zone.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
1.5 acres is as much as the available walkways once all the buildings and scenery are done.

There is zero room for cabanas of that size... unless they're built into the rock face or what @marni1971 pointed out as reserved for a expansion pad within the zone.
Is this a serious thing, the cabana's in SWL? Are we to believe that this new planet we are visiting has Cabana's? Yeah, no.
KingdomCabanas-11262016-5.jpg

Casper Gutman

Is this a serious thing, the cabana's in SWL? Are we to believe that this new planet we are visiting has Cabana's? Yeah, no.
KingdomCabanas-11262016-5.jpg

I believe the idea is that these cabanas will be built into the architecture of the land - rooms above the bazaar or cantina, etc. They won't be tents.

Here, I'll give Disney a guaranteed way to make sure the cabanas are always sold out: each room has a private bathroom. People will pay any amount for that. If any execs are reading this, just mail me my royalty checks.

Man, I really don't want cabanas of any sort.

ToTBellHop

I believe the idea is that these cabanas will be built into the architecture of the land - rooms above the bazaar or cantina, etc. They won't be tents.

Here, I'll give Disney a guaranteed way to make sure the cabanas are always sold out: each room has a private bathroom. People will pay any amount for that. If any execs are reading this, just mail me my royalty checks.

Man, I really don't want cabanas of any sort.
Will it be like a jail cell with the toilet just sitting there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom