Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

S 2

The millenium falcon ride is being described as Star Tours 5.0 from what i've read, i wouldn't be surprised if both Star Tours were retired in a few years...

I dunno. Star Tours at DLR is almost as far as it gets from SWL and its staying (at least until the SWL hype is long dead).

Kamikaze

The millenium falcon ride is being described as 2.0 from what i've read, i wouldn't be surprised if both Star Tours were retired in a few years...

Remember that its still 'a few years' til SWL even opens. They won't dare close Star Tours while the SWL crowds are coming. The earliest I can see them closing Star Tours is the DL version in say 2021 or 2022, and only there because they would be able to replace it with the Iron Man attraction from HKDL, which they can't do in DHS (but maybe by then they will have a deal on the rights for FL). But 2021-2022 in Florida the 50th celebration will be going on and they won't dare close Star Tours while that is going on either. So you're looking a long, long way out for anything to happen.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Remember that its still 'a few years' til SWL even opens. They won't dare close Star Tours while the SWL crowds are coming. The earliest I can see them closing Star Tours is the DL version in say 2021 or 2022, and only there because they would be able to replace it with the Iron Man attraction from HKDL, which they can't do in DHS (but maybe by then they will have a deal on the rights for FL). But 2021-2022 in Florida the 50th celebration will be going on and they won't dare close Star Tours while that is going on either. So you're looking a long, long way out for anything to happen.

This is what is rumored. If it does get re-themed it will happen a couple years after SWL opens.

britain

Both Marvel and Star Wars belonged in the potential third gate in California. It makes zero sense for Marvel to be in the California themed park. When there's a city represented in the MCU, it's typically NYC. If I'm remembering correctly, the only films set in California are the Iron Man trilogy and Ant-Man. The Incredible Hulk, Captain America 1, Avengers 1 & 2, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man: Homecoming... and all of the Defenders shows are in NYC.

Sorry but I think Iger made the right call here. Do you spend $ 1 billion on an amazing land in a park that could use some new additions, or spend $2 billion on... essentially the same thing but now half of the price tag is going into 3rd park infrastructure (parking, ticket area, security area, transport, entrance area, berm etc etc) which will then be deemed as "a much prettier park than DCA when it opened, but it's only a half day park!"

So then the only option is spend $3 billion on doing the third park right with Star Wars, Marvel and something else, all the while DL (with its aging areas and inefficient use of RoA) and DCA could use some love. But now there's no budget left for any Fantasyland or Tomorrowland updates.

It just makes too much sense to pour a lot of money into the existing parks rather than build a third.

Kamikaze

So any word on what will happen to Launch bay? The courtyard except for Disney Junior show will be pretty empty. It's a shame we can't get the mickey ride to go there as it would make too much sense apparently.

As with Star Tours, I doubt they are going to touch Launch Bay for quite a while. The crowds at DHS are going to be out of control. The more SW options they have to offer, the better.

clemmo

As with Star Tours, I doubt they are going to touch Launch Bay for quite a while. The crowds at DHS are going to be out of control. The more SW options they have to offer, the better.
I guess that's true, I just hope they have a long term plan especially for the courtyard. Imo Mermaid seems stale and eventually wants SWL is up and under control there will be no need for Launch Bay.

Kamikaze

I guess that's true, I just hope they have a long term plan especially for the courtyard. Imo Mermaid seems stale and eventually wants SWL is up and under control there will be no need for Launch Bay.

Well, as far as we know, there isn't a plan to put something like Launch Bay into the land, so it could still serve a purpose. TDO has a lot of things to worry about, and Launch Bay doesn't need to be changed/removed so its probably not a priority.

Dan Deesnee

Almost as interesting as the thoughts about what Star Wars Land will contain and look like - what will the crowds be like? What does an "average trip" become? I've been down to WDW roughly 8 times in the past 5 years and it is interesting where people choose to spend their time. Based on people I know who go, what I read on forums etc, it seems right now, AK and DHS have been sort of the 1 day to half day max per 4-5 days spent in WDW parks for lots of people, myself and my trip group included. However, Pandora / Avatar Land and now Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land will GREATLY shift that dynamic. Think about a potential trip this way come 2020-2021:

Without Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, and Pandora it would go something like this for a 5 day trip:
2 days MK
1.5 days Epcot
1.5 days split between AK and DHS

However, after Pandora, SWL, and Toy Story Land, a 5 day trip becomes much more difficult to plan:

1 day MK(?)
1 day AK
2 days DHS (remember insane crowds, long waits, but hopefully amazing new rides and lands to explore)
1 day Epcot(?)

The issue is, many people (including myself) absolutely love the MK and we typically spend at minimum 2 days there in a 5 day trip, 3 for 7 day trips. This doesn't even factor in the parties during holidays. So someone like myself now needs to plan longer trips to see everything we want to see and do. Not that it's a bad thing, at least not for me, more to do, more time, more fun! (and more money :arghh:)

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Almost as interesting as the thoughts about what Star Wars Land will contain and look like - what will the crowds be like? What does an "average trip" become? I've been down to WDW roughly 8 times in the past 5 years and it is interesting where people choose to spend their time. Based on people I know who go, what I read on forums etc, it seems right now, AK and DHS have been sort of the 1 day to half day max per 4-5 days spent in WDW parks for lots of people, myself and my trip group included. However, Pandora / Avatar Land and now Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land will GREATLY shift that dynamic. Think about a potential trip this way come 2020-2021:

Without Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, and Pandora it would go something like this for a 5 day trip:
2 days MK
1.5 days Epcot
1.5 days split between AK and DHS

However, after Pandora, SWL, and Toy Story Land, a 5 day trip becomes much more difficult to plan:

1 day MK(?)
1 day AK
2 days DHS (remember insane crowds, long waits, but hopefully amazing new rides and lands to explore)
1 day Epcot(?)

The issue is, many people (including myself) absolutely love the MK and we typically spend at minimum 2 days there in a 5 day trip, 3 for 7 day trips. This doesn't even factor in the parties during holidays. So someone like myself now needs to plan longer trips to see everything we want to see and do. Not that it's a bad thing, at least not for me, more to do, more time, more fun! (and more money :arghh:)
I'd skip EPCOT and add an extra day onto DAK.

Dan Deesnee

For DHS? Insane. For years. Even with TSL, there still won't be enough to do with SWL open for the crowds that will be flocking there.

Another great point. DHS, even with these two new areas, probably won't have enough for those crowds to do. This could lead to some real issues. Especially if they cut the number of attractions down like (I think?) they did at Pandora.

Kamikaze

Another great point. DHS, even with these two new areas, probably won't have enough for those crowds to do. This could lead to some real issues. Especially if they cut the number of attractions down like (I think?) they did at Pandora.

Well, SWL is not being cut down from the current two. DLR wanted a third attraction, but it will end up as an expansion at both parks. Probably a huge mistake.

Kman101

Here's the problem with a Pixar Park: The Pixar movies are all over the place setting wise -- past, present, future; and with different genres. And so, a Pixar Place will have it's own MK-like separate 'lands'.... unless you do a DHS and make the park Pixar Studios. But if go that latter route, then there's no place for Disney Animated movies that might fit very well into a Pixar Park, like Inside Out or Coco. And you have the vice versa... Someone will go to "Pixar Park" and be miffed that Merida isn't there and you have to explain she's at the Disney park.

It works just fine for Fantasyland, Adventureland, Tomorrowland, etc. It's no different. Not everyone HAS to be or WILL be represented.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom