Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

S 2

As mentioned, there's a new launch pad (circled in red). And that's why if you're in the Main Stage central hub, the fireworks appear to be going off to the right of the Chinese Theater.

View attachment 189493

I did miss that and when I heard 'launch pad' I imagined a piece of one of the new Star Wars rides instead of something related to fireworks. Very cool though, it also explains that story from last year where one crashed onto World Drive... Are there spots at Coronado Resort with nice views of this?

Slowjack

Technically 1992.
Okay, I'll bite. What are you referring to? 1992 was Splash Mountain's debut, which has a show building behind the berm--is that it? If we're talking about building an attraction in a space that was previously not used for attractions, though, I think there are more recent examples.

Kamikaze

Interesting that SWL went vertical at almost the same time as the announcement of a 2019 opening for both lands.

And people still doubt it will happen. Such intellectual laziness. Easier to regurgitate memes than to think critically obviously.

You really think 2 more years to open SWL at DLR is fast? It should be open next year, at least out there.

Okay, I'll bite. What are you referring to? 1992 was Splash Mountain's debut, which has a show building behind the berm--is that it? If we're talking about building an attraction in a space that was previously not used for attractions, though, I think there are more recent examples.

He's right. (Of course, he's Martin.) That was the last time the boundaries of a park were expanded.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I was talking about things that went outside of what was originally defined as the park boundary. For example, Avatar goes into an area that was never a guest area or even back stage, but it was an area that had always been included within the land designated for the park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes. Splash pushed the park boundary "beyond the berm"

Technically everything since was part of the park. Including Sunset.

UpAllNight

Is the perception that Star Wars' success will make Disney think "that'll do" or will the extent of the success push through further park expansion? Seems like in 2019 we might be approaching a really good park, but it still appears frustratingly a few rides and some show replacements short.

jt04

Is the perception that Star Wars' success will make Disney think "that'll do" or will the extent of the success push through further park expansion? Seems like in 2019 we might be approaching a really good park, but it still appears frustratingly a few rides and some show replacements short.

Pretty sure overwhelming demand will make expansion much more likely. Although Epcot 2.0 and MK 2.0 could help with crowd control.

doctornick

I never considered the square footage of Hollywood Studios lacking (aside from the current construction- which will in fact add a ton of walkable space to the park). The placement and quality of the attractions is another matter though. ;)

I don't agree. DHS is the smallest park at WDW and feels like the smallest park. There just isn't as much room there to walk around in and explore. Certainly, the new lands will help with this but it will still be on the small side. Most of the time, I don't care much about "expanding parks beyond current boundaries" because there's plenty of already established expansion pads within the park limits, but I do think DHS is the one WDW park that would benefit from going outside the current limits.

More importantly, though, is the layout for DHS. For pure guest flow, it would be immensely helpful if they could connect the RNR area with Animation Courtyard. The dead end on Sunset is far from ideal.

doctornick

I'm certainly worried about that. After Star Wars opens, DHS will get plenty of guests -- too many, probably, for it to properly handle -- and I'm very concerned that Disney's solution will be to just ignore the park. They won't remove Launch Bay until SW opens, so my hope is that they might approve/start a project in the Echo Lake area (replacing the stunt show) after TSL opens. If they actually start something prior to SW, then they will have to do something.

That said, WDW1974 did mention that there are plans to add Marvel (whatever they can) to DHS in the future and adding that IP does seem consistent with the current mindset of the company. Thankfully, it sounds like GotG replacing ToT is not part of those plans.

Mike S

I don't agree. DHS is the smallest park at WDW and feels like the smallest park. There just isn't as much room there to walk around in and explore. Certainly, the new lands will help with this but it will still be on the small side. Most of the time, I don't care much about "expanding parks beyond current boundaries" because there's plenty of already established expansion pads within the park limits, but I do think DHS is the one WDW park that would benefit from going outside the current limits.

More importantly, though, is the layout for DHS. For pure guest flow, it would be immensely helpful if they could connect the RNR area with Animation Courtyard. The dead end on Sunset is far from ideal.
DHS is actually bigger than MK shockingly enough.
http://disneydaybyday.com/disney-parks-from-largest-to-smallest/
Really shows the value of efficient use of space.

doctornick

roj2323

I stand corrected. I wonder how the guest accessible areas of DHS and MK compare because DHS just feels small walking around, at least to me. Obviously, the lack of attractions feeds into this perception.

Having spent 2 years in DHS and many many visits to MK I'd say MK is a little larger but not by much. When I worked at DHS it wasn't uncommon for me to walk 10+ miles in a single day so I can imagine that walking around DHS with kids can be exhausting even without crossing over your path repeatedly. Additionally even with just the addition of Toystoryland the park is going to be much larger than it was previously and once Starwarsland opens the park is going to be a workout to just get to everything once in a day. Knowing all this I can totally understand why TDO wouldn't want to expand beyond the current boundaries unless it was for something where the show building is beyond the perimeter road much like space mountain, Pirates and Splash are beyond the railroad track at MK.

Kman101

Isn't Toy Story Land technically an actual expansion on the park though? Star Wars isn't, but should have been. Should have gone in the parking lot and on Indy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
DHS is actually bigger than MK shockingly enough.
http://disneydaybyday.com/disney-parks-from-largest-to-smallest/
Really shows the value of efficient use of space.

I am not sure where they got their DHS numbers for, but even if we are generous with what is considered part of the park I only come up with 118 acres as opposed to the 154 they state.
Capture.JPG

Their MK number is a little more reasonable, here is 107 acres for MK
upload_2017-2-14_10-42-46.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am not sure where they got their DHS numbers for, but even if we are generous with what is considered part of the park I only come up with 118 acres as opposed to the 154 they state.
View attachment 189596

Their MK number is a little more reasonable, here is 107 acres for MK
View attachment 189597

To get 500 acres for AK you need to include back stage areas, Avatarland, parking and the large plot of un-developed behind Asia.

upload_2017-2-14_10-47-39.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom