Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Stripes

Paging @marni1971 @SWGalaxysEdge
Is there any truth to this? This is the first I've heard of "cancelled gift shops".

If true, it would be about the size of First Order Cargo. Just round instead of square.

Unless the shop also included the space behind this facade as well, which would make it closer to Dok-Ondar's.

It would seem that Martin's original drawing of the land had the two spaces as separate shops. Obviously changes were made.
50ede2cf-0319-40d1-8925-c5c6bc672588-jpeg.276184

Last edited:

matt9112

From the construction photos that Bioreconstruct posted on Twitter throughout the build, there are areas for future expansion. I would bet this is one of them over a cancelled gift shop. When has Disney ever cancelled a gift shop!?

They canceled the mermaid shop that would have been in NFL....

Tom Morrow

Yeah but i get to see all the places i actually know from the movies sooo...not some made up planet with a made up tie fighter for said planet.
So to everyone that feels this way, I ask - how did you enjoy the parks before the recent heavy IP saturation? Most of the original classic Disney attractions are not IP based. So Galaxy's Edge isn't a Star Wars Greatest Hits land like you wanted... why can't you enjoy it for what it is - a really good original creation with some nods to stuff you know?

This whole "I MUST be coddled by things I already know and recognize!" sentiment toward theme parks is very much a recent thing and you would not have had these complaints 10 years ago.

Last edited:

matt9112

So to everyone that feels this way, I ask - how did you enjoy the parks before the recent heavy IP saturation? Most of the original classic Disney attractions are not IP based. So Galaxy's Edge isn't a Star Wars Greatest Hits land like you wanted... why can't you enjoy it for what it is - a really good original creation with some nods to stuff you know?

This whole "I MUST be coddled by things I already know and recognize!" sentiment toward theme parks is very much a recent thing and you would not have had these complaints 10 years ago.

I would rather non IP based rides but you created an IP based attraction and than you tried to skirt the IP. You want the cake and to eat it too. You cant say here is the universe you love but....plot twist its not!

Tom Morrow

I would rather non IP based rides but you created an IP based attraction and than you tried to skirt the IP. You want the cake and to eat it too. You cant say here is the universe you love but....plot twist its not!
Star Tours, 1987:

"Why are we entering some sort of airport instead of the Death Star or Star Destroyer?"
"Why are we flying on some sight-seeing ship instead of an X-Wing or the Millennium Falcon??"
"Why is the captain some droid we've never seen before instead of C3P0 or like Han Solo?"
"Why isn't Luke Skywalker in the attraction at all??"

Genie_naughty_whispers

Star Tours, 1987:

"Why are we entering some sort of airport instead of the Death Star or Star Destroyer?"
"Why are we flying on some sight-seeing ship instead of an X-Wing or the Millennium Falcon??"
"Why is the captain some droid we've never seen before instead of C3P0 or like Han Solo?"

Sources for these quotes?

erasure fan1

Here is the big problem with your thought. Star wars iconography is greater than just about anything that I can think of. Most people expect when they hear "star wars land", there are the people, places, visuals they know and love. And your post about star tours. When it opened what did you do in the ride? THE TRENCH RUN, something just about every star wars fan dreamed of. Unlike the falcon where instead of at least doing the Kessel run, you go after coaxium. Something no one cares about. I'm sure I'll enjoy the land for what it is. But I didn't want to just enjoy it. I wanted to love it more than any land Disney has done and maybe that's just shame on me.

Joesixtoe

Here is the big problem with your thought. Star wars iconography is greater than just about anything that I can think of. Most people expect when they hear "star wars land", there are the people, places, visuals they know and love. And your post about star tours. When it opened what did you do in the ride? THE TRENCH RUN, something just about every star wars fan dreamed of. Unlike the falcon where instead of at least doing the Kessel run, you go after coaxium. Something no one cares about. I'm sure I'll enjoy the land for what it is. But I didn't want to just enjoy it. I wanted to love it more than any land Disney has done and maybe that's just shame on me.
I've got the same complaints as you.. I however can set that aside and enjoy the park for what it is. I mean walking onto the falcon is awesome, walking through doors that open like they do on the films, walking into buildings designed after those in the movies, it just is a cool experience I think, and you will like it. It's another planet on the outer rim of the galaxy and I just go with it.

Mike S

For me flying the Falcon was enough. Didn’t need to do the Kessel Run. Would’ve been nice to see Han though but I blame that more on Harrison Ford. If he was willing to do it I bet Disney would've set the land during or before Force Awakens somehow. For that they would’ve bent a little.

mergatroid

Sources for these quotes?

"Why are we entering some sort of airport instead of the Death Star or Star Destroyer?" - My pal 'Mad Gavin' after he'd had around 20 beers shortly before his arrest
"Why are we flying on some sight-seeing ship instead of an X-Wing or the Millennium Falcon??" - 'Phil the knife' who I met whilst visiting 'Mad Gavin' in prison
"Why is the captain some droid we've never seen before instead of C3P0 or like Han Solo?" - 'Mad Gavins' grandma 'Ethel' who I chatted to at 'Mad Gavins' funeral after 'Phil the knife' had a disagreement with him inside the big house and things got nasty
"Why isn't Luke Skywalker in the attraction at all??" - 'Phil the knife' as he was strapped into the chair and asked if he had any final words

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Star Tours, 1987:

No lightsabers or the force. How can Disney screw up so badly?

erasure fan1

I however can set that aside and enjoy the park for what it is. I mean walking onto the falcon is awesome
Like I said, I'm sure I will be able to enjoy the land. And I am very much looking forward to seeing the falcon. But I also fully understand why people are having issues. And I really can't argue against the issues.
For me flying the Falcon was enough. Didn’t need to do the Kessel Run.
I don't either, it was more about the decision to go with something not many really cared about over something everyone loved. And that is why star tours didn't get the same sort of backlash.

RSoxNo1

"Why are we entering some sort of airport instead of the Death Star or Star Destroyer?" - My pal 'Mad Gavin' after he'd had around 20 beers shortly before his arrest
"Why are we flying on some sight-seeing ship instead of an X-Wing or the Millennium Falcon??" - 'Phil the knife' who I met whilst visiting 'Mad Gavin' in prison
"Why is the captain some droid we've never seen before instead of C3P0 or like Han Solo?" - 'Mad Gavins' grandma 'Ethel' who I chatted to at 'Mad Gavins' funeral after 'Phil the knife' had a disagreement with him inside the big house and things got nasty
"Why isn't Luke Skywalker in the attraction at all??" - 'Phil the knife' as he was strapped into the chair and asked if he had any final words
That checks out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom