Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

LukeS7

My take on the Battuu vs existing film location debate is that it's overblown.

Guest shouldn't have to read the books, comics or download the app to get the narrative that was baked into these cuts.
I agree with both of these statements, but I do think going with an established locale could've been a better choice.
What land from the films would have been an appealing place to visit?
While not necessary "appealing" it would've been cool to walk the streets of Mos Eisley. Very similar in terms of type of location (outpost/spaceport town). We'd be able to go to the actual cantina from the films, be able to sit in a booth like the one that Han shot Greedo in, see the Falcon docked like it was the first time we saw it, and be able to use the old characters. You could have Han, Jabba, Chewie, Luke, Ben Kenobi, Vader and also be able to introduce the new characters going on a side adventure potentially if you shifted to the older versions of the original characters.

Unfortunately, Last Jedi makes fitting that last bit canonically hard as it left zero window between Force Awakens and Last Jedi for our heroes to actually develop. I really do feel that while not pretty, Mos Eisley lends itself to work perfectly for this as well as not having to be established via comics or other material that the majority of the audience will never see/read.

Mike S

I can't remember ....where did Star Tours take you when it opened originally? Are some of the original characters from the original trilogy in pre-videos? Did the ride take you to the Death Star?
If it took you to the Death Star for example, you as a child could imagine you are Luke Skywalker or with Luke Skywalker flying in the battle to save the galaxy.
You were in the universe where your favorite characters are still alive.

Or did Star Tours just take you to places with zero familiarity?

In Galaxy's edge, Disney has made sure you know the main original cast is Dead and never coming back. You will never see Darth Vader walking the streets of Galaxy's Edge. Disney has promised the paying public that.

I'm not sure that makes a difference, it might not. Maybe no one cares.

It does for one guy...me. :) Takes a lot of the magic out of the park not seeing original storm troopers walking around with Darth Vader.
...and the office I'm in, we are having a huge discussion right now. Granted, we are all older fans, but people are confused and ****ed they won't see real storm troopers with Vader inside Galaxy's Edge. They just thought it was a given.
Again, it's an office of 20... small minority in the larger scene of Star Wars fandom and we are older and non of us enjoyed The Last Jedi so need to keep my opinions in perspective.

For you, it might not matter and for many fans it doesn't matter...and that's cool. Part of being a fan, everyone will have a different opinion.

End of the day, Galaxy's Edge will be fine. The created a solid base and it will only get better from here.
And...I'm older, who really cares about the opinion of someone in their 40's?
Anecdotal but I remember reading that when Star Tours first opened it was so popular the park was open 60 hours straight.

Flash forward to Galaxy's Edge and we have attendance numbers making certain people question if it’s a flop.

SJN1279

Anecdotal but I remember reading that when Star Tours first opened it was so popular the park was open 60 hours straight.

Flash forward to Galaxy's Edge and we have attendance numbers making certain people question if it’s a flop.

If Rise of the Resistance is as good as I think it will be, the land will not be a flop.

Dunston

So many people are saying over and over again that there's nothing from the original trilogy in the location and experience... Am I the only one who remembers that you can sit in the chess room and cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, and will be boarding a Star Destroyer? Before somebody says it, yes I know the Star Destroyer is a First Order one rather than an Empire one, to which I say they are literally the same, save for how the Storm troopers look.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What made Avatar successful was the visuals, cinematography, and imagination used in creating Pandora...it was a sort of character all on it's own, and it's those visuals that people DO remember from the film.

Galaxy's Edge is a land we've never seen in a film...there's no emotional connection to it at all. There is a HUGE emotional connection to the Millennium Falcon, but it's fenced off, so we aren't even allowed to examine it closely aside from the ride....

You can't really get much more of a connection then allowing people to wander around in the "chess room" and fly the Falcon from the cockpit. Yes, there is an overall lack of connection to the OT, but the Falcon is one place where the delivered that connection.

matt9112

So many people are saying over and over again that there's nothing from the original trilogy in the location and experience... Am I the only one who remembers that you can sit in the chess room and cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, and will be boarding a Star Destroyer? Before somebody says it, yes I know the Star Destroyer is a First Order one rather than an Empire one, to which I say they are literally the same, save for how the Storm troopers look.

There not the same the emperial I and II class destroyers fell out of favor before the rise of the first order.
However you are correct the falcon is one of the only things that transcends both sets of movies. Hondo is from the animated series and is one of my favorite characters from there so thats nice but meh. Storm troopers are also not the same at all emperial troopers were recruited and pressed into service (but paid) after the clone troopers fell out. The first order appears to essentially do the child soldier route nabbing kids and brainwashing them into a soldier.

drod1985

Every Star Wars film introduces a slew of new planets. There’s nothing more “Star Wars” than introducing a new planet.

I’ve never heard a case for using an existing planet that would be logical, sensical, or more functional than Batuu - a planet tailor made to cater to both the Star Wars aesthetic and theme park utilization. As mentioned: The Falcon is the centerpiece of the land, and is an heirloom of the OT. The design language of the Troopers, Star Destroyers, etc. are all evocative enough of the OT imagery to feel like Star Wars.

It's not the aesthetic or the location that can use improvement, it's the kinetic energy throughout the land that can make it come alive. If the cut streetmosphere ever gets added back the land will gain what it needs to feel more like Star Wars.

At least that's my assessment pre-GE visit. I'm looking forward to seeing how my assessment changes after visiting Batuu in 14 days.

Dunston

There not the same the emperial I and II class destroyers fell out of favor before the rise of the first order.
However you are correct the falcon is one of the only things that transcends both sets of movies. Hondo is from the animated series and is one of my favorite characters from there so thats nice but meh. Storm troopers are also not the same at all emperial troopers were recruited and pressed into service (but paid) after the clone troopers fell out. The first order appears to essentially do the child soldier route nabbing kids and brainwashing them into a soldier.
My point was that the setting, aesthetics, and environment of a star destroyer's interior are almost identical to those of the Original Trilogy ones. I know it's not the exact same ship. The sense of "wow it's just like it was in the movies" will definitely be there with the walkers and when you're zipping through the hallways of the Destroyer.

pdude81

If they had done this as Jakku, which has a market and could easily have had some sort of cantina, then you have a clear connection to the new movies and casual fans who don't want to pay attention could have assumed it was Tatooine. Would be easy enough to "retheme" that way if they had to.

I still think it's going to be awesome when I get there, but it's odd to take the "Go big or go home" path and then start counting pennies

WDWFANSINCE81

Pandora film wise is so forgettable theres no attachment unlike star wars or cars that are both very strong memorable franchises with rich vibrant storys to tell. Nobody goes into pandora and saysays this isnt like the movie because nobody remembers it.
Lets also remember that Pandora opened with it's headliner attraction. Do you think the land would be as well received if just the River Journey opened with the quick service restaurant? Galaxy's Edge will be a success if ROTR delivers. Having been to DL...I agree the land is lifeless as it stands...cutting the stunt shows, droids and aliens was a HUGE blunder....Chappie needs to go.

drod1985

I also think NRJ is better than MFSR.

giphy.gif

the_rich

Been able to ride MFSR 4X, In my opinion Star Tours is a better experience. Yes it is dated , but it has a soul and feels alive and rooted in a galaxy far far away. I also think NRJ is better than MFSR.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. MFSR was an absolute blast and piloting the falcon was awesome. And as a plus I didn't get sick on it like i do with star tours.

ImperfectPixie

You can't really get much more of a connection then allowing people to wander around in the "chess room" and fly the Falcon from the cockpit. Yes, there is an overall lack of connection to the OT, but the Falcon is one place where the delivered that connection.
Oh, I agree...that's why I said "aside from the ride". It would be nice to be able to walk around it and actually get a decent look at the exterior though, too. I'm also wondering how much you get hurried through that room, as I know my husband would probably give a limb to be able to spend a few minutes so I can get some posed shots of him.

tallica

Oh, I agree...that's why I said "aside from the ride". It would be nice to be able to walk around it and actually get a decent look at the exterior though, too. I'm also wondering how much you get hurried through that room, as I know my husband would probably give a limb to be able to spend a few minutes so I can get some posed shots of him.
It is extremely variable, in the 4x I rode it at HS. From several minutes to less than one, also peoples interest in getting a pic sitting at the chess table ranged from everyone to practically nobody. There is about 5 groups waiting to be called to enter the cockpit, so it gets a little confusing. Plus you get grouped by colored cards and brown and orange look similar in the subdued lightning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom