Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Nope, there’s no one in the toll booths at that hour. At the TTC, the drop off is where the charter buses pick up - it’s off to the right side as you approach the TTC from the parking lot/sort of behind lost and found. You have a slightly longish walk to the start (~.7 mile).

Warm up, lol.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
If you are heading to Miami, it will take about 4 hours from Orlando. If the bus is the least expensive way I would check their schedule and go with that. You can rent a car at Orlando International and return it in Miami. You just need to make sure that the rental company has an office near where you are staying or go with the airport if that is close to where you are staying and then take a lyft to where you are staying.
I would also check into a discounted hotel room on Disney property or something in the Disney Springs area. We don't work with Airbnb so I can't help with that unfortunately.

Good luck with your adventures and with the race!

Pam

r2d2

If you end up driving, I can tell you that it’s not a stressful experience at all, and if it saves you money and logistics from taking a cab/Uber, I’d encourage you to do it. I’m a local and drive over the morning of the race. As long as you know how to get to Epcot (where I’m assuming parking will be as it’s always there), just follow the hoards in and park.

If the start is at the TTC/MK parking again, you just take a bus from Epcot to the start. There are thousands doing the same thing and plenty of CMs and volunteers to guide you. If you end up going the cab route, you can get dropped off right at the TTC (my wonderful husband serves as my Uber and kindly drops me off then goes home to take a nap :)).

Hope this helps!

Haha, lucky you... i am not sure, i assume parking at disney would be expensive no? I am still going over my options. lol just so indecisive

r2d2

Most resorts make you pay for parking, Disney doesn't. When you rent a car in the US, the gas tank is full. You have to return it with a full tank, otherwise you're charged to fill it, at a price per gallon the car rental company sets. Fill up the tank before you return the car. Some companies may charge a relocation fee if you return the car to a different location. I doubt that will happen for Miami - lots of travel between Orlando and Miami. But all this you can verify with the rental car agency. And yes, there will be taxes, but nothing near what you would pay in Canada. One other thing, US car rental companies won't rent to drivers under 25.

It's an easy drive from Orlando to Miami. You just take the Florida Turnpike. It's a toll road, so be prepared to stop and pay a couple of dollars each toll plaza.

@Figment82, does your "Uber" driver remember if they charged you to park at either Epcot or TTC for the races - or do they just wave you through?

So yes, it is pretty much the same, but definitely we have a big fee for relocation.

I might be able to find a room in Coronado Springs, still not cheap. But i think will save me from the hassle of uber, and all that jazz.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Haha, lucky you... i am not sure, i assume parking at disney would be expensive no? I am still going over my options. lol just so indecisive

If you are staying at a Disney resort, parking is free - at both the resort and the parks.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So yes, it is pretty much the same, but definitely we have a big fee for relocation.

I might be able to find a room in Coronado Springs, still not cheap. But i think will save me from the hassle of uber, and all that jazz.

That's an excellent choice. You'll be somewhat between Epcot and Magic Kingdom, resort wise. Plus, if you are flying, you will be able to take Disney's free shuttle service from the airport to your hotel.

r2d2

If you are staying at a Disney resort, parking is free - at both the resort and the parks.
Yay!! SO I booked Coronado Springs🙌🏼. And now that im staying at a resort. I won’t need to rent the car. I will just take shuttle to resort from airport.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yay!! SO I booked Coronado Springs🙌🏼. And now that im staying at a resort. I won’t need to rent the car. I will just take shuttle to resort from airport.

Yup. I'm not sure if people flying from outside the US will get the special tags to put on their checked luggage. The tags mean that Disney will collect your luggage from baggage claim and deliver it to your room. I'd email them and ask if this feature of the Magical Express will be available for you. If so, make sure your carryon will have a change of clothes and your race waiver form. I understand it may take a couple of hours for your luggage to be delivered.

r2d2

Yup. I'm not sure if people flying from outside the US will get the special tags to put on their checked luggage. The tags mean that Disney will collect your luggage from baggage claim and deliver it to your room. I'd email them and ask if this feature of the Magical Express will be available for you. If so, make sure your carryon will have a change of clothes and your race waiver form. I understand it may take a couple of hours for your luggage to be delivered.
Oh wow, thats a sweet deal.. Let me know when you find out. I wonder how many are international runners?

RunningKoen

If you were trying for perfect Kessel, word is the virtual + Dark Side Kessel will count. So guess I'm doing the virtual.
Maybe the most important question: will not running the virtual have an impact on the Kessel run? No Kessel Run '18 medal = no perfect?

Because the perfect light side will miss a year or two; so someone who has done all light and dark side races in resorts still can have a perfect status for both light and dark side yet no perfect kessel status because he or she missed out on the virtual race

Edit: slightly hypothetical, I know. Anyone who is aiming for perfect dark side, and running the dark side in '18 aswell, would be insane to not do the virtual race. But someone who isnt aware of this? somehow?

Texas84

So, signed up for the virtual Kessel Friday and ran a real half Saturday. Got another half next month so I'm covered.

Be careful with the registration. There is a separate entry for virtual + Kessel.

r2d2

So, signed up for the virtual Kessel Friday and ran a real half Saturday. Got another half next month so I'm covered.

Be careful with the registration. There is a separate entry for virtual + Kessel.
oh that's amazing. good job. I did my first 5k outdoor in -10 C (14F), i had been running indoor on treadmill, but want to switch back to outdoor ;)

LizaMarie89

Babysitting for friends while they do the 5k but I'm itching to do a 5k and get some character photos soon. Just doing the virtual half, 10k and dark side half... I've wanted that kessel for a while

RunningKoen

It was rather obvious, but is now confirmed: the virtual half marathon will cannot be used as a race for the castle to chateau challenge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom