News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

gmajew

Premium Member
Wow it is funny now people are complaining they donā€™t have enough meet the character.... I donā€™t want picture spots all over the place.

Sure it would be nice to have them walking and doing skits etc for entertainment but not just standing so people can wait in line for pictures.

That was the complaint about NF this was and should be more of a street art feel with them just popping up at times.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If GE had characters from all 3 trilogies walking around, would people other than EXTREME Star Wars geeks go crazy? I really doubt it.

Edit: I had a crazy idea last week. Use the same land but rotate out which "Trilogy" timeline is featured every day, have characters and MF rides from the OG trilogy, then the Solo era/just past Prequels, then the new trilogy or something. It really wouldn't be THAT hard to pull off, except for the Rise of the Resistance ride.

bubbles1812

Is the land really that empty and uninteresting?
Iā€™ll second what has already been said... No, not at all. Could some things have been done a little differently? Thereā€™s always room for improvement but having finally experienced the land for myself, the ā€˜sky is fallingā€™ crowd is a bit ridiculous in my eyes. I would encourage you to go and judge for yourself. I personally had a lot of fun.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
If GE had characters from all 3 trilogies walking around, would people other than EXTREME Star Wars geeks go crazy? I really doubt it.

They do have storm troopers lol.

In all seriousness though I still believe they will have them at one point once the story is over.

But in all honesty I donā€™t want to take a picture with someone playing Hans or Luke. No matter what never going to be close enough to be them.

Just like Potter does not have Harry etc walking around I donā€™t think we need them to make the land fun and awesome.

bubbles1812

The lights work... the music apparently malfunctioned.
This... I donā€™t really get. I feel like I watch people cry constantly on these boards about how we deserve more immersion. That we shouldnā€™t see show buildings, about sight lines, it should feel like weā€™re in the a different world, ect.

Disney tries to create more immersion by having sounds that would be realistic in a Star Wars world and then they are ripped for it. I thought the sounds were subtle to the point of not being annoying but noticeable enough that it made it fun to listen to as I walked around.

I love the music in Star Wars. I really really do. I own the original trilogy sound track, rogue oneā€™s soundtrack, and the force awakens soundtrack, but Disneyā€™s choice made sense me once I was walking in the land. It gave me a better sense of ā€˜being there.ā€™

(And if you need the Star Wars music, I guess just go stand outside Star Tours or sit in the Endor Forest. I certainly heard it enough walking by)

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
See, this is a perfect example of how WDI deserves some of the blame for this, not just Bob Chapek and accountants.

The WDI execs spent way too much time in a Glendale conference room three years ago and decided by decree that whatever "trilogy" Boba Fett is from that he can't exist on Batuu in whatever timeframe or trilogy Batuu is in.

So now you've got this nice family from British Columbia who go to Disneyland (substitute them with a nice family from Ontario for WDW) and Dad and the kids are excited to see Boba Fett in Tomorrowland. So they get their picture taken with him, standing in front of a generic mod ice cream stand with the Mickey Mouse bags hanging from the side. And the family loves the photo, high fives Boba Fett, and then wanders over to ride the Finding Nemo Submarines. Yay! Fun!

b5cadd34-84b5-470a-bb32-26a9cdad9cc2-jpeg.413694

Because somehow that actual real-world scenario playing out daily for paying Disneyland customers is better than having them pose for that same photo with Boba Fett in front of this Billion Dollar backdrop they just built????

star-wars-galaxys-edge.jpg

Or have Boba Fett stand in front of this Star Wars Land vehicle garage since there's nothing else happening there???

Star-WArs-galaxys-edge-landspeeder.jpg

That's the part where WDI deserves some of the blame here. The WDI execs overthought this, they got way too literal and nit picky. All the Star Wars characters should be found in the Star Wars Land they just built. If Boba Fett is cool enough to be on the Disneyland and WDW payrolls, he needs to be in Star Wars Land. There's nothing to be gained for the Disney Parks "brand" or overall "experience" by having the Canadian family pose with Boba Fett in front of the Mickey Mouse ice cream cart when they could be posed in front of the cliffs of Batuu instead.

At some point, someone of authority in Burbank needs to drive over to Glendale and kick out all of those Imagineers from their cushy conference rooms with the catered quinoa bowls and artisanal teas. Make them go spend a week at Disneyland and WDW and stand there and talk to actual customers. Hang out in the crummy cafeteria with the CM's eating stale chicken nuggets instead of quinoa bowls and pick their brains. Learn how a theme park actually works and what theme park customers actually want.

WDI is treating Batuu as if all the entertainment wasn't cut from the budget and as if it's the Star Wars version of Colonial Williamsburg, and that's a huge mistake. They have completely overthought this and are so far out of touch with their own consumers and their own company's operational standards that the Star Wars Land experience is suffering and the overall Disney Parks brand is being damaged.

That's just stupid of WDI to not know that. They deserve some of the blame here.
I can post random pictures too.

RobWDW1971

So, you're making the point that you'd like to have the OT characters. Noted. Good day.

So Mace Windu, Darth Maul, and Jar Jar are OT characters? OK...

It would be funnier if your repeated cut/paste actually applied to the arguments being made.

And it would be more engaging if counterarguments were being made for why it is NOT a good creative decision to create a land that could include all of the 40+ years of Star Wars characters - OT, prequels, sequels, Clone Wars, future characters, etc, etc. Can't say I'm reading many convincing arguments....

Last edited:

bubbles1812

The_Jobu

If GE had characters from all 3 trilogies walking around, would people other than EXTREME Star Wars geeks go crazy?

I dont think they'd go crazy, but to the vast majority of humanity (non Star Wars fans), I think they would have a passing familiarity with Vader or Leia actors. The equivalent of getting a photo with "the Epcot ball" to show you've been to WDW. I dont think there's much resonance with Kylo or Rey at this point (though they certainly have their fans, I'm saying compared to non Star Wars civilians).

No matter what never going to be close enough to be them.

But by this logic you shouldn't want Rey walking around, but she seems to be one of the more appreciated aspects.

Darth Snips

Just like Potter does not have Harry etc walking around I donā€™t think we need them to make the land fun and awesome.
This is a great point. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that not a single person on the planet cares about Rey (I don't think that's true, but hear me out). Let's say it is a unanimous opinion across the planet Earth that everyone would rather have Luke and Vader over Rey and Kylo. Well then, the quality of walk-around characters is at the exact same level as Harry Potter, which has exactly 0 characters.

Is GE underperforming? Absolutely it is. Why? Maybe guests don't like Smuggler's Run; maybe they find the land too expensive; maybe they find the parks as a whole too expensive; maybe they're waiting for RotR; maybe this whole thing was the perfect storm of crowds being afraid of crowds; etc, etc. Only time will tell us what's really going on. But if we all keep pointing back to trivial things like character meet-and-greets and IP awareness, I'm afraid we're gonna miss the real story here.

I don't mean to go off-topic, but speaking of "the real story", does it bother anyone else that Troy Porter and Gary Snider just continue to post here and we just play along like nothing's changed? I don't know what the truth behind that whole fiasco was, but I feel like we should all realize that some posters here have an agenda.

TP2000

I can post random pictures too.
View attachment 413748

Adorable photos! Children with Chewbacca can only be topped by children with puppies.

So are you okay with Disneyland CM's putting painter's tape down on the ground on Batuu so kids who were charged $122 per day to get in can play hopscotch? And how does hopscotch play into the story of Batuu? Or Star Wars in general? Is that okay with you?

I think its tacky and dumb, although quite telling. Am I wrong?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom