News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. You're deliberately misinterpreting my post. C’mon man. I acknowledge that it isn’t meeting Disney’s expectations. Clearly, they thought it would increase bookings more than it has.

But his post was stating ‘no one wanted to go/no one is entertained.’ Which is simply not true.

That is my point, that the extreme views that it’s a complete failure on the ground don’t reflect what I observed or experienced. I enjoyed my experience even if it’s not a perfect land. But then what is?

My view on SWGE is somewhere towards the middle along the scale of pixie dust to total doom and gloom. I don’t think it’ll be a ‘abject’ failure for Disney in the long run (DHS has too much need for that), but the launch was certainly botched.

I agree with you on hyperbole...but it’s just as rampant on both sides at this point.

Here’s what ISNT hyperbole: this is an operational failure from all accounts as of right now. There has been zero evidence to indicate that it has increased attendance and therefore residual revenues at either park complex. That was the entire goal of building this...not “soft opening numbers”

Now we can wait and see what happens moving forward and maybe we see some type of springboard effect?

However it is unlikely as it looks now. No need to keep debating it, calling it a disaster, or putting makeup on it.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

So your saying that Potter land is awful too because it doesn't have any characters. Got it.
But it has locales people have seen on the screen
Exactly, if Wizarding world was no Harry, Ron, Valdomort... And you were in a made up location that was tied to fantastic beasts, I would wager people wouldn't be as high on the land either.

CinematicFusion

All I want to know is....
What did Darth Vader do to get banned from Galaxy’s Edge for life? Looks like he really wanted to fit in...

Sorry Vader... if your looking at Galaxy’s Edge on the map, you aren’t allowed in.
You have been banned for Life!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Exactly, if Wizarding world was no Harry, Ron, Valdomort... And you were in a made up location that was tied to fantastic beasts, I would wager people wouldn't be as high on the land either.
If they had opened Toy Story Land without Woody or Buzz and instead of Andys backyard it was set in a toy shop that was never in any of the movies, certain people would find any excuse to claim it truly magical and tell us how they were completely immersed in the story and were "blown away" by it and anybody who questioned Disneys decisions simply hates the company and just wants to complain.

Movielover

What did Darth Vader do to get banned from Galaxy’s Edge for life? Looks like he really wanted to fit in...

Because he is dead at the point in time in which the land is set. You knew this but yet you still have to ask pointless questions that do not bring anything further to the table. At this point we are well past being in an echo chamber when you are just screaming the same point over and over again. I would say get over it but I know you won't.

Bright Suns!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
View attachment 413866View attachment 413867
Sorry Vader... if your looking at Galaxy’s Edge on the map, you aren’t allowed in.
You have been banned for Life! View attachment 413869
Disneyland proper is just about as accurate a setting as Batu for Star Wars considering neither are recognizable locations from the movies. Technically, this is immersive imagineering and dont you dare claim otherwise!! My family would be blown away by this!!!!

CinematicFusion

Because he is dead at the point in time in which the land is set. You knew this but yet you still have to ask pointless questions that do not bring anything further to the table. At this point we are well past being in an echo chamber when you are just screaming the same point over and over again. I would say get over it but I know you won't.

Bright Suns!

Come on... you had to crack a smile a little. It was funny seeing a picture of Vader looking for Galaxy’s Edge on the map...and being sad because he can’t get in. That’s funny.

Man you are really into this hard Disney immersion sell. Good for you!

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Did the Imagineers ever stop for a second and ask "Would it be fun to spend time in an abandoned, war torn spaceport?". The idea of trying to recreate a place nobody wants to go to nor anybody finds entertaining is astounding to me.

Yup. Two o'clock in the afternoon in a hot, deserted spaceport on the edge of the galaxy is pretty boring actually.

Well done, WDI, well done.

It's sort of like Dino-Rama at AK. That is an incredibly well themed recreation of a road side carnival, but am I really going to Disney to be immersed in a road side carnival? There needs to be a balance between immersion and creating a fun experience. Do we want the Frontierland we have in MK, or do we want Westworld?

Movielover

About as pointless and stupid as The Last Jedi was... I get what your saying

Man I can not even begin to imagine what it's like to hate a movie as much as you hate TLJ. It must really burn you up inside that the movie exist. I can't fathom how much energy and self hating it must take to bring yourself to despise a piece of fictional media art. Like when you go online and see an image from the film do you just start screaming in pain or do you start to hear the Kill Bill music?

It's frankly really sad. You must feel very lonely inside with all that pain. Hopefully someone someday will take pity on what's left of your soul.

giphy.gif

RobWDW1971

It's sort of like Dino-Rama at AK. That is an incredibly well themed recreation of a road side carnival, but am I really going to Disney to be immersed in a road side carnival? There needs to be a balance between immersion and creating a fun experience. Do we want the Frontierland we have in MK, or do we want Westworld?

Exactly. I remember when Dino-Rama opened and listening to Imagineers brag about how they recreated the cracked, broken asphalt look of a road side carnival. Well done WDI, well done. SMH.

Darth Snips

I love this post...

But I can’t figure out why you like it, Mikey?? It doesn’t really tow the line that all is fine and there’s nothing wrong with abramsland or Star Wars itself...or Disney park business as a whole

It is indeed “something much more interesting at play”
I think you may have misinterpreted my post? For what it's worth, I do think that there's "nothing wrong" with Star Wars . I think the ST is doing just fine, and, more importantly, I think the future of Star Wars is in good hands. I think TRoS, the Mandolorian, and Jedi: Fallen Order will do great this fall. I think The Clone Wars' return in February will be welcomed with open arms. And I think the Cassian and Obi-Wan Disney+ projects have a LOT of potential. I wasn't trying to comment on the state of Star Wars at all.

My point was that a theme park attraction's success/failure is irrelevant to the IP's success/failure. So it doesn't matter whether GE has Vader or Kylo; guests are going to respond to the quality of the product not the brand on the packaging. That was why I listed all those examples: they were cases where there was either no IP or an IP I disliked/didn't care about. Yet those experiences played a big role in my childhood.

I also think it's too early to call GE a success or failure right now. I mean, it hasn't even been open for a month yet. @lentesta's early survey data does seem to indicate that guests aren't overly impressed with MF:SR at the moment. Maybe that's the real factor here? Maybe crowds don't deem Falcon a ride worthy of FoP-level crowds? If so, that will change soon with RotR.

By the way, this is coming from someone who adores GE. I honestly don't have any real complaints about the place. But right now, the numbers are indicating that my opinion may be the minority.

Again, only time will tell.

CinematicFusion

Man I can not even begin to imagine what it's like to hate a movie as much as you hate TLJ. It must really burn you up inside that the movie exist. I can't fathom how much energy and self hating it must take to bring yourself to despise a piece of fictional media art. Like when you go online and see an image from the film do you just start screaming in pain or do you start to hear the Kill Bill music?

It's frankly really sad. You must feel very lonely inside with all that pain. Hopefully someone someday will take pity on what's left of your soul.

giphy.gif
Yeah...Last Jedi is terrible. Is what it is. I don’t feel bad about disliking that film and it’s fun to talk about the complete waste of time that film is. But... just not on this forum...
I loved Rouge one and force awakens...not sure if that will also upset you. But those movies were fun.

Anyway, what really gets me in regards to galaxys edge is Disney and it’s stupid reasoning to ban Darth Vader.

all Vader can do is look at it on his map and wish he could join the fun.

The echo chamber is only going to get bigger...get ready.

Surferboy567

I want to direct you all to this video by RobPlays one of my favorite youtubers.

He perfectly sums up the interactive experiences at Galaxy’s Edge (namely smugglers run and datapad) it also perfectly sums up why I like them so much.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you may have misinterpreted my post? For what it's worth, I do think that there's "nothing wrong" with Star Wars . I think the ST is doing just fine, and, more importantly, I think the future of Star Wars is in good hands. I think TRoS, the Mandolorian, and Jedi: Fallen Order will do great this fall. I think The Clone Wars' return in February will be welcomed with open arms. And I think the Cassian and Obi-Wan Disney+ projects have a LOT of potential. I wasn't trying to comment on the state of Star Wars at all.

My point was that a theme park attraction's success/failure is irrelevant to the IP's success/failure. So it doesn't matter whether GE has Vader or Kylo; guests are going to respond to the quality of the product not the brand on the packaging. That was why I listed all those examples: they were cases where there was either no IP or an IP I disliked/didn't care about. Yet those experiences played a big role in my childhood.

I also think it's too early to call GE a success or failure right now. I mean, it hasn't even been open for a month yet. @lentesta's early survey data does seem to indicate that guests aren't overly impressed with MF:SR at the moment. Maybe that's the real factor here? Maybe crowds don't deem Falcon a ride worthy of FoP-level crowds? If so, that will change soon with RotR.

By the way, this is coming from someone who adores GE. I honestly don't have any real complaints about the place. But right now, the numbers are indicating that my opinion may be the minority.

Again, only time will tell.
I actually didn’t really interpret your post at all...I apologize for that.

But without “meaning it”...you still cast the common, growing doubt on parks, Star Wars, and abramsland.

It’s becoming very difficult to keep the flood water back ok the “negative” of late...just a trend

trainplane3

Yeah...Last Jedi is terrible. Is what it is. I don’t feel bad about disliking that film and it’s fun to talk about the complete waste of time that film is. But... just not on this forum...
I loved Rouge one and force awakens...not sure if that will also upset you. But those movies were fun.

Anyway, what really gets me in regards to galaxys edge is Disney and it’s stupid reasoning to ban Darth Vader.View attachment 413937
all Vader can do is look at it on his map and wish he could join the fun.

The echo chamber is only going to get bigger...get ready.
Vader is dead so now he's a spooky ghost. Spooky ghosts go in the Haunted Mansion.

CinematicFusion

Really? Because you certainly like to bring it up every chance you get!
Um...yeah exactly. I have no problem discussing my dislike of that film and my love for the others. That’s what fandom is.
We wouldn’t be on this board if we didn’t have opinions. Not everything Disney does is going to work....some will exceed expectations. Is what it is

erasure fan1

Bright Suns!
I'm sorry but you are part of that echo chamber as well. "He's dead at this point in time." "He can't be in the land, it doesn't make any sense!" It could have made all the sense in the world. People need to stop arguing that point. One simple answer would have been a force cave meet and greet or show like the jedi training. It really isn't that difficult. Time will tell what side of this argument wins. But I'm inclined to side with the land has flaws and I believe Disney will add things like Vader and a bigger OT presence. It's never a wise choice to limit your reach.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom