News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And everyone from the prequels, Clone Wars, Rogue One, and heck even Jar Jar. You know, the Star Wars universe.

Nah, why leverage 40 years of countless great characters - we've got Hondo, we're good.

Who's up for Battu hopscotch?!
Yeah...well I usually agree with you, brother of the nights watch, except here...

The prequels were and are still trash...and the disease on Star Wars continues to feel their effects. Including here. Prequels are toxic.
Yeah...I really hope this is never seen again. It messes up a great chunk of the immersion. I can’t understand why they don’t just bring out the droids and characters. It would fix so many problems that people seem to have (and this is coming from someone who ADORES Batuu).

It almost sounds like youre serious...

How long is it gonna be before we drop this “immersion” nonsense?? A year? Five? Or until everyone forgets?

Disney built what they built...it is what it is. You are gonna like sequel land or you won’t. The die is cast.

They used the “immersive” thing as a marketing tactic for years now. They knew it wouldn’t have the most popular characters, rides would be limited and there was a lot of high priced merch and food going in. It’s not like that wasn’t mandated/predetermined.

Immersion is kinda like the great oz’s curtain on this one.

The land would be more popular - in my opinion - had they opened it before the last Johnson or solo. There’s some franchise drag at work here. It is what it is...let’s see how the other ride does and if further adjustments are made after they clean house at LFL?

RobWDW1971

Yeah...well I usually agree with you, brother of the nights watch, except here...

The prequels were and are still trash...and the disease on Star Wars continues to feel their effects. Including here. Prequels are toxic.

How long is it gonna be before we drop this “immersion” nonsense?? A year? Five? Or until everyone forgets?

Disney built what they built...it is what it is. You are gonna like sequel land or you won’t. The die is cast.

They used the “immersive” thing as a marketing tactic for years now. They knew it wouldn’t have the most popular characters, rides would be limited and there was a lot of high priced merch and food going in. It’s not like that wasn’t mandated/predetermined.

The land would be more popular - in my opinion - had they opened it before the last Johnson or solo. There’s some franchise drag at work here. It is what it is...let’s see how the other ride does and if further adjustments are made after they clean house at LFL?

People would be thrilled to see Darth Maul, Mace Windu, young Obi-Wan, and yes even Jar Jar (think of the "Meeeee so happy'" selfies). Not saying the movies are my favorites, but designing a billion dollar land that limits yourself to a small fraction of the Star Wars universe was a disastrous creative decision.

I give it 2-3 years and once Chapek and the horrible WDI team on the project move on, the park entertainment teams will take over and the lands will be blasting Star Wars music and there will be more Star Wars characters from every era roaming the land than the Star Wars Christmas Special. Trained entertainers will take over and the union merch and food and beverage employees will be freed from their painful improv shtick.

We are just going to have to live through this painful denial period like DCA 1.0.

Surferboy567

Rest Assured...I’m 100% serious about this whole immersion thing. I seriously love Batuu (although I recognize its flaws). I really do love the whole immersion concept (as yes that includes the datapad).

The land’s major problems are simple fixes...rise will fix a lot of them. But this whole hop scotch thing really does ruin the atmosphere for me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rest Assured...I’m 100% serious about this whole immersion thing. I seriously love Batuu (although I recognize its flaws). I really do love the whole immersion concept (as yes that includes the datapad).

The land’s major problems are simple fixes...rise will fix a lot of them. But this whole hop scotch thing really does ruin the atmosphere for me.
I absolutely couldn’t disagree with you more. I can’t think of a more convenient opinion from DISNEY’S perspective.

But I give you your due respect as a knowledgeable contributor...and I’ll move on.

rsm

Put a rubber rodian mask on someone for minimum wage and have THEM put down the hopscotch tape and teach kids to play. THAT is immersion. Two lightsabers per day pay for that.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Wait until the resounding thud which the NBA Experience could never equal occurs with the opening of the Star Wars Hotel aka HSS Titanic II

CinematicFusion

Kylo Ren, just before capturing a 10 year old for the crime of hop scotch.
REN, “ But this whole hop scotch thing really does ruin the atmosphere for me.”
Phew phew phew go the laser guns, John Williams music swells as the action escalates...
I think this was in one of the Bantu comics that set up history of the land.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think was is lacking from a lot of the land is the element of fun and whimsy that Disney is so good at. The old west was probably not that fun a place in real life, but Disney idealized it and made it fun. I think they did this successfully in Smugglers Run by having Hondo as the host, and with DJ RX in Oga's, but I think it's lacking in other areas.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is the land really that empty and uninteresting?
It depends who you ask...

I was actually somewhat surprised on the upside when I went to it. Thought it was a neat build. But I’m an OG Star Wars fan...and the pro Disney bloc here will tell you I’m being replaced...
...by the new fans...even though more and more evidence comes out that those fans don’t infact exist.
Case in point

TP2000

Boba Fett roaming Tomorrowland and not Star Wars Land where we are supposed to be interacting with bounty hunters....because...um...immersion...or something.

See, this is a perfect example of how WDI deserves some of the blame for this, not just Bob Chapek and accountants.

The WDI execs spent way too much time in a Glendale conference room three years ago and decided by decree that whatever "trilogy" Boba Fett is from that he can't exist on Batuu in whatever timeframe or trilogy Batuu is in.

So now you've got this nice family from British Columbia who go to Disneyland (substitute them with a nice family from Ontario for WDW) and Dad and the kids are excited to see Boba Fett in Tomorrowland. So they get their picture taken with him, standing in front of a generic mod ice cream stand with the Mickey Mouse bags hanging from the side. And the family loves the photo, high fives Boba Fett, and then wanders over to ride the Finding Nemo Submarines. Yay! Fun!

b5cadd34-84b5-470a-bb32-26a9cdad9cc2-jpeg.413694

Because somehow that actual real-world scenario playing out daily for paying Disneyland customers is better than having them pose for that same photo with Boba Fett in front of this Billion Dollar backdrop they just built????

star-wars-galaxys-edge.jpg

Or have Boba Fett stand in front of this Star Wars Land vehicle garage since there's nothing else happening there???

Star-WArs-galaxys-edge-landspeeder.jpg

That's the part where WDI deserves some of the blame here. The WDI execs overthought this, they got way too literal and nit picky. All the Star Wars characters should be found in the Star Wars Land they just built. If Boba Fett is cool enough to be on the Disneyland and WDW payrolls, he needs to be in Star Wars Land. There's nothing to be gained for the Disney Parks "brand" or overall "experience" by having the Canadian family pose with Boba Fett in front of the Mickey Mouse ice cream cart when they could be posed in front of the cliffs of Batuu instead.

At some point, someone of authority in Burbank needs to drive over to Glendale and kick out all of those Imagineers from their cushy conference rooms with the catered quinoa bowls and artisanal teas. Make them go spend a week at Disneyland and WDW and stand there and talk to actual customers. Hang out in the crummy cafeteria with the CM's eating stale chicken nuggets instead of quinoa bowls and pick their brains. Learn how a theme park actually works and what theme park customers actually want.

WDI is treating Batuu as if all the entertainment wasn't cut from the budget and as if it's the Star Wars version of Colonial Williamsburg, and that's a huge mistake. They have completely overthought this and are so far out of touch with their own consumers and their own company's operational standards that the Star Wars Land experience is suffering and the overall Disney Parks brand is being damaged.

That's just stupid of WDI to not know that. They deserve some of the blame here.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See, this is a perfect example of how WDI deserves some of the blame for this.

The WDI execs spent way too much time in a Glendale conference room three years ago and decided by decree that whatever "trilogy" Boba Fett is from that he can't exist on Batuu in whatever timeframe or trilogy Batuu is in.

So now you've got this nice family from British Columbia who go to Disneyland (substitute them with a nice family from Ontario for WDW) and Dad and the kids are excited to see Boba Fett in Tomorrowland. So they get their picture taken with him, standing in front of a generic mod ice cream stand with the Mickey Mouse bags hanging from the side. And the family loves the photo, high fives Boba Fett, and then wanders over to ride the Finding Nemo Submarines. Yay! Fun!

b5cadd34-84b5-470a-bb32-26a9cdad9cc2-jpeg.413694

Because somehow that actual real-world scenario playing out daily for paying Disneyland customers is better than having them pose for that same photo with Boba Fett in front of this Billion Dollar backdrop they just built????

star-wars-galaxys-edge.jpg

That's the part where WDI deserves some of the blame here. The WDI execs overthought this, they got way too literal and nit picky. All the Star Wars characters should be found in the Star Wars Land they just built. If Boba Fett is cool enough to be on the Disneyland and WDW payrolls, he needs to be in Star Wars Land. There's nothing to be gained for the Disney Parks "brand" or overall "experience" by having the Canadian family pose with Boba Fett in front of the Mickey Mouse ice cream cart when they could be posed in front of the cliffs of Batuu instead.

At some point, someone of authority in Burbank needs to drive over to Glendale and kick out all of those Imagineers from their cushy conference rooms with the catered quinoa bowls and artisanal teas. Make them go spend a week at Disneyland and WDW and stand there and talk to actual customers. Hang out in the crummy cafeteria with the CM's eating stale chicken nuggets instead of quinoa bowls and pick their brains. Learn how a theme park actually works and what theme park customers actually want.

WDI is treating Batuu as if all the entertainment wasn't cut from the budget and as if it's the Star Wars version of Colonial Williamsburg, and that's a huge mistake. They have completely overthought this and are so far out of touch with their own consumers and their own company's operational standards that the Star Wars Land experience is suffering and the overall Disney Parks brand is being damaged. That's just stupid of WDI to not know that.
I expect that Iger will bring Lucas back as a consultant, embrace the Original trilogy, and go hard corrective action in the parks. It may be part of his retirement routine.

I’d like for Kathy Kennedy to clean toilets at magic kingdom too...but that might be pushing it.

Mickeyboof

I mean, do we really know that it was hopscotch? Could have just been someone saying that.

I’m guessing the photo was taken at Disneyland... CMs sometimes whip out the masking tape for a nice game of Hopscotch at Disneyland. It’s really sweet on Main Street!

When Galaxy’s Edge opened at Disneyland and the crowds died overnight, there was even a hopscotch game outside the entrance to Pirates. People played as they entered the empty queue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom