News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

MrPromey

I meant actually moving around the land - the only droids not for sale with any "motion" are the one turning the spit (like the tiny clown in the popcorn wagons) and the static ones which barely rotate their head when you push an app. Not exactly a 14 acre Star Wars Land coming alive with moving droids.

No argument here ;)

erasure fan1

I get the criticism, but the error you've made in this comparison is that a prequel timeline cannot mention things that have yet to happen. Whereas a sequel timeline is the best place to have elements from prequels, originals, and beyond.
True, except that in a few years everything you said goes out the window. The land was built for right now in the timeline. So what happens after 9? Will they change rise of the resistance? Because odds are Kylo won't be Kylo anymore. At best hes redemed and goes back to Ben Solo. We all know Disneys track record of updating things. So to think they are going to adjust this land every new movie or show seems way to optimistic. So while for now, this makes some sense. But when new movies and shows start showing up, and they go beyond 7, 8 and 9, it falls apart. LiKe Yoda once said, always in motion is the future.

RobWDW1971

True, except that in a few years everything you said goes out the window. The land was built for right now in the timeline. So what happens after 9? Will they change rise of the resistance? Because odds are Kylo won't be Kylo anymore. At best hes redemed and goes back to Ben Solo. We all know Disneys track record of updating things. So to think they are going to adjust this land every new movie or show seems way to optimistic. So while for now, this makes some sense. But when new movies and shows start showing up, and they go beyond 7, 8 and 9, it falls apart. LiKe Yoda once said, always in motion is the future.

Exactly, it is entirely limiting for both past and future stories and characters that take place in an endless and timeless universe.

Not to mention, they built a billion dollar land where all of the core characters that are ingrained in pop culture for past 40 years are dead. Almost impossible to imagine, but here we are.

britain

They most likely will not go into the further future beyond 9. Every new project going forward will take place somewhere in the time periods we are already familiar with. So you'll still be able to buy a Batuu-ian action figure of an old republic character, a prequel character, an OT character, and a sequel character.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They most likely will not go into the further future beyond 9. Every new project going forward will take place somewhere in the time periods we are already familiar with. So you'll still be able to buy a Batuu-ian action figure of an old republic character, a prequel character, an OT character, and a sequel character.
One of the upcoming trilogies is said to take place in the future beyond Ep 9.

UNCgolf

I absolutely agree with your first 3 sentences. The last you are factually correct about as well, but I don't like it, and I don't think it's the best way. A perfect example, look at the difference in people who miss the original Epcot Center (many of us on this board), versus those who pine for the original MGM or DAK (do they even exist?). Again, you're not wrong, but that doesn't mean the company is right.

I don't know... I liked the original MGM. Maybe not on opening day, but at least the way it was in the mid-late 1990s or early 2000s (I'm kind of guessing on the time frame).

I think that park was more interesting (and certainly more thematically consistent) than the mishmash that's there now.

As for DAK, I don't think anyone needs to pine for that because it really hasn't changed. Very little has been taken away from Animal Kingdom; it's been almost entirely additions.

ColdSarsaparilla

More Timeless Star Wars?

This.

It used to be, when they used an IP on a significant upgrade, it was an IP that was already proven to be classic/timeless.

They've gotten away from that and, thus, the IP's reception may be hit and miss and/or not age well.

Case in point... Zootopia. An enjoyable and cute movie, but enough of a draw (even with sequels) to carry an entire land?! I think not.

britain

People asking for a timeless version of the land - a la Fantasyland, where Gaston might bump into the Fairy Godmother, or Elsa, or Captain Hook - are forgetting that you can't really mix and match these characters up like they're background characters at the House of Mouse.

For a kid to bump into Vader after shaking Padme's hand, and then meeting Ray...

It's a diminished experience. You're now just shaking hands with cosplayers outside of Grauman's Chinese. Sure, it's all just people in costumes, but for the young nerd (and young nerd at heart) you don't want your peas to touch your carrots!!

They have a few options on the table:

1) Just add more timeless aliens and droids. Have Greedos, Protocol droids, and Bith walking around. It won't take much to increase that OT feeling without ruining the rest of the investment.

2) Dispense with the Batuu-as-Switzerland concept. Let the citizens proudly say "May the Force be with You!" instead of cowardly muttering "Til the Spires" as they nervously look over their shoulders for Stormtroopers. Savi's can still be an undercover operation, but find a spot for Jedi Training Academy (through which manifestations of Sith Lords from times past will appear), and just never have the Stormtroopers walk over there.

3) Ramping up that even more, change the storyline to you happen to be visiting Batuu on 'Legend's Day' where heroes of the past are celebrated - this would get you some festive decorations & music going on (Yub nub!) plus some steampunky Batuu-citizens-cosplaying-as-OT-characters! Whoa - that might be too meta...

4) OR, fine, set the whole thing in the OT. That will mean a lot of animatronic redressing / reprogramming in RotR, but it's doable. Hondo could still smuggle stuff with the Falcon, he'd just talk to Alden Erinriche on the big TVs instead of Chewie.

But don't do "timeless" Star Wars Land. That's just studio-park all over again.

Last edited:

britain

One of the upcoming trilogies is said to take place in the future beyond Ep 9.

I don't believe so - Rian Johnson's is set during the known timeline but in a corner of the galaxy we've never been to before. Benioff & Weiss is rumored to be very old republic. But I could be wrong.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This.

It used to be, when they used an IP on a significant upgrade, it was an IP that was already proven to be classic/timeless.

They've gotten away from that and, thus, the IP's reception may be hit and miss and/or not age well.

Case in point... Zootopia. An enjoyable and cute movie, but enough of a draw (even with sequels) to carry an entire land?! I think not.

Wait.... Zootopia had a sequel?!?!

The_Jobu

People asking for a timeless version of the land - a la Fantasyland, where Gaston might bump into the Fairy Godmother, or Elsa, or Captain Hook - are forgetting that you can't really mix and match these characters up like they're background characters at the House of Mouse.

For a kid to bump into Vader after shaking Padme's hand, and then meeting Ray...

It's a diminished experience. You're now just shaking hands with cosplayers outside of Grauman's Chinese. Sure, it's all just people in costumes, but for the young nerd (and young nerd at heart) you don't want your peas to touch your carrots!!

They have a few options on the table:

1) Just add more timeless aliens and droids. Have Greedos, Protocol droids, and Bith walking around. It won't take much to increase that OT feeling without ruining the rest of the investment.

2) Dispense with the Batuu-as-Switzerland concept. Let the citizens proudly say "May the Force be with You!" instead of cowardly muttering "Til the Spires" as they nervously look over their shoulders for Stormtroopers. Savi's can still be an undercover operation, but find a spot for Jedi Training Academy (through which manifestations of Sith Lords from times past will appear), and just never have the Stormtroopers walk over there.

3) Ramping up that even more, change the storyline to you happen to be visiting Batuu on 'Legend's Day' where heroes of the past are celebrated - this would get you some festive decorations & music going on (Yub nub!) plus some steampunky Batuu-citizens-cosplaying-as-OT-characters! Whoa - that might be too meta...

4) OR, fine, set the whole thing in the OT. That will mean a lot of animatronic redressing / reprogramming in RotR, but it's doable. Hondo could still smuggle stuff with the Falcon, he'd just talk to Alden Erinriche on the big TVs instead of Chewie.

But don't do "timeless" Star Wars Land. That's just studio-park all over again.

And maybe slip in a few Ferengi or Borg. Could be fun!

Timmay

And maybe slip in a few Ferengi or Borg. Could be fun!
Uh, speaking of which...

Going off things I’ve seen and heard (will be there in a couple of weeks) there seems to more than a few similarities between GE and the old Star Trek: The Experience, without the story telling and on a much larger scale.

STTE had an area with “artifacts,” but with a pretty cool timeline set up. A bar, although with a full food menu. An “encounter” with a simulator ride with a really good story and effects that were amazing. Characters that interacted on a regular basis.

I’m not saying GE isn’t better...because I just don’t know without being there yet, but it does seem initially there could have been more effort overall. Just a thought.

The_Jobu

Uh, speaking of which...

Going off things I’ve seen and heard (will be there in a couple of weeks) there seems to more than a few similarities between GE and the old Star Trek: The Experience, without the story telling and on a much larger scale.

STTE had an area with “artifacts,” but with a pretty cool timeline set up. A bar, although with a full food menu. An “encounter” with a simulator ride with a really good story and effects that were amazing. Characters that interacted on a regular basis.

I’m not saying GE isn’t better...because I just don’t know without being there yet, but it does seem initially there could have been more effort overall. Just a thought.

My biggest travel regret was that I never experienced the experience. I could have had Romulan ale at Quark's Bar with a Klingon!!!! :arghh:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom