News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

RobWDW1971

My biggest travel regret was that I never experienced the experience. I could have had Romulan ale at Quark's Bar with a Klingon!!!! :arghh:

It was amazing and captured all of the fun and spirit of Star Trek. Disney is lucky it doesn't still exist as the comparisons to the abandoned, joyless SWGE would be painful. But at least we have Star Tours, the VOID Star Wars experience, and even Hyperspace Mountain to fill our Star Wars need.

planodisney

I meant actually moving around the land - the only droids not for sale with any "motion" are Rex in the cantina, the one turning the spit (like the tiny clown in the popcorn wagons) and the static ones which barely rotate their head when you push an app. Not exactly an "immersive" 14 acre Star Wars Land coming alive with moving droids.
Don’t they have an R2D2 in one of the shops as well. I know I’ve seen video of that.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It was amazing and captured all of the fun and spirit of Star Trek. Disney is lucky it doesn't still exist as the comparisons to the abandoned, joyless SWGE would be painful. But at least we have Star Tours, the VOID Star Wars experience, and even Hyperspace Mountain to fill our Star Wars need.

Which begs the question why something like the VOID isn't in SW:GE yet

planodisney

Well I’ve seen the video and it looks really cool interacting with people. If they had a for sale sign on it that would be different. Maybe they do and I didn’t see it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's why I said "not for sale". There is a $25K R2D2 model in the Droid shop you can buy. Hopefully that is not our collective standard for droids in the land.
First just a quick correction to your list - Yoda plays a major part in Savi's.

Second, there are other major elements that are in the land:

Storm Troopers
Tie Fighters
Cantina
Blue Milk
Droids
X-Wings
The Millennium Falcon
Chewie
Light Sabers
Various other ships

And yes, I think it was a very wise creative decision to base the land on an unknown planet that evoked Star Wars, but isn't as desolate as Hoth, oppressive as Tatooine, or as primitive as Endor - frankly, they used design elements from Tatooine and Endor here, and mixed it in with the elements from the Roger One marketplace.

Setting it in a specific area is also a good creative decision IMO - and setting it during the ST makes the most sense, as over time they can include elements from all trilogies. And despite what you may think, there are those who consider the ST their "Star Wars". (Hell, there are those who consider the prequels their Star Wars). That demographic is growing, your own preferences notwithstanding.

Now, can they add more elements in to make the land better? Absolutely. I'm firmly in the camp that they need to add a lot more - stunt shows; aliens wandering around the land and in the Cantina; have some OT characters that make sense (R2 and C-3PO come to mind). But that has more to do with idiotic budget cuts than it does the creative decisions regarding the land.

Steph15251

If we are using Pandora as the bar by which to judge every new land, then I think we are selling ourselves short. Pandora looks pretty, one attraction, and one visually stunning but otherwise pointless one, along with a bar, a shop, and a quick service. I'm by no means saying it's bad or not good, but it could be much better. GE seems like it has a good start...one good simulator, and assuming ROTR is great, one new mega-E dark ride. A "family-friendly" thrill ride would be a fantastic addition, and along with a TS restaurant, make the land feel whole, IMHO.

Edit to add: It's the difference between "good enough" and what used to be the "Disney Way."
A family roller co
The MGM of the 90s was a masterpiece of Imagineering. Batuu isn't a masterpiece of anything, not even marketing (LOL a Star Wars Land without any iconic characters. Great job.)
I did not think MGM when it first opened was that great

Hawg G

My biggest travel regret was that I never experienced the experience. I could have had Romulan ale at Quark's Bar with a Klingon!!!! :arghh:

I regret not eating there when I visited. I think there was a line. The Klingon character out front was easily one of the best character interactions I ever had. He was totally in character. No friendly, but would tolerate photos taken with him.

The Experience was a bit cheesy, like the show, but excellent for a one time thing. RIght down to the "normal" you ran in to in the exit hallway. And I'm sure to big Trek fans, walking on to the bridge was a BIG deal. To casual fans like me, it was still very entertaining, and VERY well done.

Jones14

True, except that in a few years everything you said goes out the window. The land was built for right now in the timeline. So what happens after 9? Will they change rise of the resistance? Because odds are Kylo won't be Kylo anymore. At best hes redemed and goes back to Ben Solo. We all know Disneys track record of updating things. So to think they are going to adjust this land every new movie or show seems way to optimistic. So while for now, this makes some sense. But when new movies and shows start showing up, and they go beyond 7, 8 and 9, it falls apart. LiKe Yoda once said, always in motion is the future.
I don’t think that’s really a concern. Vader’s been dead and redeemed for decades if you consider the latest movies to be the *current* part of the timeline, but the Star Tours sequences he appears in are set before Episode IV, so it works just fine.

Even outside of Star Wars, that’s always been one of the weird anachronisms of theme parks when it comes to IP. The Evil Queen walks around Disneyland, but the Snow White ride ends with her trying to kill you as the Old Hag. The only difference here is that instead of setting the timeline from the moment you enter the queue, they’re just doing it from the moment you enter the land now.

TalkingHead

First just a quick correction to your list - Yoda plays a major part in Savi's.

Second, there are other major elements that are in the land:

Storm Troopers
Tie Fighters
Cantina
Blue Milk
Droids
X-Wings
The Millennium Falcon
Chewie
Light Sabers
Various other ships

And yes, I think it was a very wise creative decision to base the land on an unknown planet that evoked Star Wars, but isn't as desolate as Hoth, oppressive as Tatooine, or as primitive as Endor - frankly, they used design elements from Tatooine and Endor here, and mixed it in with the elements from the Roger One marketplace.

Setting it in a specific area is also a good creative decision IMO - and setting it during the ST makes the most sense, as over time they can include elements from all trilogies. And despite what you may think, there are those who consider the ST their "Star Wars". (Hell, there are those who consider the prequels their Star Wars). That demographic is growing, your own preferences notwithstanding.

Now, can they add more elements in to make the land better? Absolutely. I'm firmly in the camp that they need to add a lot more - stunt shows; aliens wandering around the land and in the Cantina; have some OT characters that make sense (R2 and C-3PO come to mind). But that has more to do with idiotic budget cuts than it does the creative decisions regarding the land.

From a IP point of view, the land is practically designed to disappoint.

There should’ve been a Yoda AA somewhere. He would’ve been incredibly popular since there’s no walk-around character and he’s one of the most popular characters in the whole franchise.

Having a voiceover Yoda in a $200 upcharge experience is less than satisfactory.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

From a IP point of view, the land is practically designed to disappoint.

There should’ve been a Yoda AA somewhere. He would’ve been incredibly popular since there’s no walk-around character and is one of the most popular characters in the whole franchise.

Having a voiceover Yoda in a $200 upcharge experience is less than satisfactory.
A Yoda M&G similar is style to Donkey in USF would have been incredibly popular.

holiday-decorations-at-universal-studios-florida-2011-674-oi.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom