News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Steph15251

I love Galaxy's edge but I don't believe ROTR is going to be the thrill ride we are looking for. This land needs a thrill ride, a good nice family..ish type coaster. Not an Everest or RnR but more like space or thunder, and I believe this land would then thrive. The land is awesome yes, but any great land needs a good "thrill" ride.... back in the day maybe not(epcot), but it seems like times have changed.
Imo ,not everything needs to be a thrill ride ,to make a land work ,also if ROTR is what they make it out to be it would be a great ride imo.

Joesixtoe

See: Hyperspace Mountain in DL. Just take that concept, purpose-build an indoor coaster for it. Done. (Hyperspace Mountain is pretty good as is, but it could be a gamechanger attraction with a few changes with a purpose-built coaster rather than the overlay.)
I was basically thinking of that ride too. For galaxy's edge an indoor coaster would suit it better than one out in the open in my opinion.

MrPromey

Bob Iger to Board of Directors:

Bob: As you know, we just completed our $4B acquisition of Lucasfilm which means we now own the entire Star Wars universe, movies, and characters. Our next step? Build a one billion dollar Star Wars Land at Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

BOD: Love it, Bob! What are you thinking?

Bob: First off, stay with me here, in my Star Wars Land we will NOT have:

Star Wars music
People saying "May the Force be with you"
Darth Vader
Yoda
C3PO
RD2D (well, we'll sell him in a store of course!)
Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia
Han Solo
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Boba Fett
The Emperor
Jabba the Hutt
Admiral Ackbar
Darth Maul
Mace Windu
The Death Star
Tatooine
Hoth
Endor
Mustafar
Naboo
Wandering aliens
Moving droids
Bounty hunters
Jedi
Ewoks
Jawa
Lightsaber fights
Or that darn Cantina Band!!!

BOD: Hahahahaha, Bob, you're awesome. Seriously, what are you going to build?

To be fair, there *are* moving droids - just not enough of 'em and moving is sort of a relative thing.

Monorail_Orange

Hasn't been that way for 30 years though. A whole park (MGM) opened with just two rides. DAK wasn't much better - it only had 3 rides in the whole park opening day. These things tend to be built out over time.
I absolutely agree with your first 3 sentences. The last you are factually correct about as well, but I don't like it, and I don't think it's the best way. A perfect example, look at the difference in people who miss the original Epcot Center (many of us on this board), versus those who pine for the original MGM or DAK (do they even exist?). Again, you're not wrong, but that doesn't mean the company is right.

Monorail_Orange

Exactly.

Also, I don't imagine they will do a coaster unless the invent a way to completely hide the tracks. They've invested too much in the land to break the illusion with ride vehicles on tracks. IMO.
Don't worry, it's not much of a stretch for them. (i.e.Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, and presumably Cosmic Rewind)

Purduevian

Exactly.

Also, I don't imagine they will do a coaster unless the invent a way to completely hide the tracks. They've invested too much in the land to break the illusion with ride vehicles on tracks. IMO.

Universal is kind of hiding it with their Donkey Kong Coaster. Imagine something similar, but a pod racer.
universal-boom-coaster-patent.png

erasure fan1

Exactly.

Hiding/disguising the track really wouldnt be that hard. And realistically, if black spire has been there for thousands of years, it could make sense for there to be some older tech. Especially being on the edge of the galaxy. There are vehicles in star wars that have wheels. Not everything floats. Disney is supposed to have the best creative minds in the world so they should be able to figure it out in my opinion.

jt04

Hiding/disguising the track really wouldnt be that hard. And realistically, if black spire has been there for thousands of years, it could make sense for there to be some older tech. Especially being on the edge of the galaxy. There are vehicles in star wars that have wheels. Not everything floats. Disney is supposed to have the best creative minds in the world so they should be able to figure it out in my opinion.

I do think there are ways to hide the track but they also need to make it seem trackless. That's the tough part. GotG looks like it is a step in the right direction.

RobWDW1971

To be fair, there *are* moving droids - just not enough of 'em and moving is sort of a relative thing.

I meant actually moving around the land - the only droids not for sale with any "motion" are Rex in the cantina, the one turning the spit (like the tiny clown in the popcorn wagons) and the static ones which barely rotate their head when you push an app. Not exactly an "immersive" 14 acre Star Wars Land coming alive with moving droids.

Last edited:

britain

Having the land based on the Sequel Trilogy is like opening the original Harry Potter Land and having it all based on Fantastic Beasts. Starring Newt, Jacob, Queenie, and Grindlewald. And setting it 70 years before Potter/Weasley/Granger are born.

I get the criticism, but the error you've made in this comparison is that a prequel timeline cannot mention things that have yet to happen. Whereas a sequel timeline is the best place to have elements from prequels, originals, and beyond.

doctornick

I love Galaxy's edge but I don't believe ROTR is going to be the thrill ride we are looking for. This land needs a thrill ride, a good nice family..ish type coaster. Not an Everest or RnR but more like space or thunder, and I believe this land would then thrive. The land is awesome yes, but any great land needs a good "thrill" ride.... back in the day maybe not(epcot), but it seems like times have changed.
Hmph. I'd argue that the planned rides are "thrilling" enough and that what the land needs more is something relaxing - like a Peoplemove type ride (a higher capacity than the animal riding one that was considered) or a proper show/theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom