News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

LukeS7

I’ve been in all of the positions and engineer was my least favorite. With a good crew, I still had fun though (even as an engineer) and I think that ends up being more important to me personally. When people are really into it and having fun it’s hard for me not to enjoy myself too. YMMV. Pilot is the best imo but gunner was fun too since I could watch the screen the whole time and just shoot when the targets were on the screen. It beats FoP for me but only because of nostalgia. If that is taken out of the equation, FoP is the better simulator imo.
I actually experienced both MF:SR and FoP for the first time on the same day (maybe 6-7 hours apart). FoP was definitely the better simulator. I really think the only thing that sets MF:SR apart from other simulators is the nostalgia factor. That being said, I feel like they could've leaned heavier into that and done a mission more connected to the mainline films rather than something more akin to the plot of Solo. It also probably doesn't help that I haven't seen Clone Wars (though I intend to once Disney+ launches)

Last edited:

bclane

I actually experienced both MF:SR and FoP on the same day (maybe 6-7 hours apart). FoP was definitely the better simulator. I really think the only thing that sets MF:SR apart from other simulators is the nostalgia factor. That being said, I feel like they could've leaned heavier into that and done a mission more connected to the mainline films rather than something more akin to the plot of Solo. It also probably doesn't help that I haven't seen Clone Wars (though I intend to once Disney+ launches)
Yeah, hopefully they constantly update it like they do for Star Tours. I’d love a new mission every year or a random sequence situation where you never know what you’re gonna get. I mostly just want to blast TIE Fighters out of the sky while flying between Star Destroyers or flying through asteroid fields (all set to John Williams music of course). But it’s still fun the way it is for me. I’m not that difficult to please to be honest. Lol!

Piebald

Can anyone comment on wall up reservations for Oga’s? I dropped the ball ehen reservations opened up on the app and will have to try for a walk up...

How long has the wait typically been? We’ll be there November 14-18.
No clue because opening week has been unusually slow with the storm. We have reservations for next weekend but went Wednesday night and walked into Ogas an hour before close.

Kman101

As we've discussed, SWGE feels very static. The MF (and other ships) should have occasional bursts of steam/vapor or water dripping here and there, to make them feel more "active." The audio ambiance also seems to be pretty lacking or too subdued.

You must have missed the loud roar of invisible ships passing above you?

The land isn't meant to have background music because it's meant to be a 'real' place we're visiting. Do you have background music in your real life?

I do agree some of these are flaws to the average person, or who's used to the typical Disney theme park land, but I actually appreciate the amount they went through for this land.

Granted it'd be better with more REAL streetmosphere. Rey and Chewie behind fences doesn't cut it. You need a Cantina band roaming around. Lots of REAL characters roaming around. Castmembers aren't cutting it and the amount of folks who whine about them being in character are why we can't have nice things.

There are flaws but this land is a 'darned if they do and darned if they don't'

I think they need to find a better middle ground between a Star Wars fanatic living their adventure and the rest of us who like well themed lands, etc.

Not saying the land is flawless. But it seems like folks are desperately (not saying you) reaching for ways to call this a failure.

durangojim

Again, there seem to be three types of reviews of SWGE:

1) Those that have been and judge it for what they actually built and those have been mostly tepid "meh" and disappointment

2) Those that have been and review not what was built but how the "future land that exists only in their mind" is going to be great.

3) Those who haven't been and still have optimism and hope.

4) Those who have been, had a ton of fun, and loved it.

BoarderPhreak

The land isn't meant to have background music because it's meant to be a 'real' place we're visiting. Do you have background music in your real life?

There is the occasional background noise like ships coming and going in the outpost, and animals in the resistance forest, yes. We've also discussed the background music earlier (or in another thread). I was talking about more street/eye level. The droids make noise, there's the occasional character(s) and ships do some stuff. But it needs more and not just sound, but motion (like the stormtroopers on the walkways).

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The Harry Potter lands at Universal are meant to be 'real' places and they have background music. There needs to be a balance between reality and creating a good theme park environment.

RobWDW1971

Yep. That was me.

I really can’t stand some people around here. I probably need a break from this site. The SWGE negativity is stifling.

That would give you more time to spend in SWGE with all of the "living and breathing" Star Wars world wandering aliens, roaming droids, interactive smugglers, scary bounty hunters, mysterious Jedi (besides Rey), and all of your favorite Star Wars characters including Dok-Andar, Oga, and Savi!

And when you're hungry you can dine in the world's FIRST Star Wars themed restaurant - themed after...wait for it...wait for it...cargo containers! That's right kids, live your Star Wars shipping logistics dreams!

Bright Suns!

This is totally irrelevant to judging the land currently. I'm not going to base my opinion of the land on what it could be, but rather what it currently is.

But it's not and this is speaking hypothetically and not an established fact, so again irrelevant in forming one's opinion of the land

They absolutely were and I think most people are surprised by how low the crowds have been.

Again, there's zero way of knowing this. Also, that's what everyone expected for the land in its current state and we see how that went.

Yes, but if crowds are this low now, that's not a good sign. Once everyone has bought robes and built a lightsaber and droid, that pool dries up. Most of the things in SWL are one-off purchases for a lot of people.

All of this is pure speculation of things that haven't happened yet. Just because it's what you're expecting doesn't mean it will actually happen (again, Galaxy's Edge is a prime example of this).

I was more commenting on this apparent fact that the Star Wars franchise is in trouble.

I’ve heard it all before.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the land as it currently is, but to suggest Disney’s direction for the saga is to blame for the footfall ‘issues’ - I’m just tired of it.

Besides, I was in Disneyland two weeks ago and the crowds were substantial both nights I was in the land. Not once did I think ‘man it’s quiet’.

I agree - we don’t know what RotR will do as far as lines once it arrives. I’m just optimistic.

There is the occasional background noise like ships coming and going in the outpost, and animals in the resistance forest, yes. We've also discussed the background music earlier (or in another thread). I was talking about more street/eye level. The droids make noise, there's the occasional character(s) and ships do some stuff. But it needs more and not just sound, but motion (like the stormtroopers on the walkways).

Agree with this. I’m sure that will come.
In my opinion the land is really good and can so easily be flat out great with a few tweaks here and there.

ToTBellHop

That would give you more time to spend in SWGE with all of the "living and breathing" Star Wars world wandering aliens, roaming droids, interactive smugglers, scary bounty hunters, mysterious Jedi (besides Rey), and all of your favorite Star Wars characters including Dok-Andar, Oga, and Savi!

And when you're hungry you can dine in the world's FIRST Star Wars themed restaurant - themed after...wait for it...wait for it...cargo containers! That's right kids, live your Star Wars shipping logistics dreams!

Bright Suns!
No need to condescendingly tell me how to feel about the place. Did that just fine myself.

Still looking for the Na’vi or huge population of scientists walking around Pandora. Also on the lookout for wandering wizards other than the scheduled entertainment in WWoHP.

TP2000

Interesting Star Wars crowd dynamic on both coasts. Does Orlando get the big influx of after-work locals on Friday like Disneyland does? Today is the first day of HalloweenTime at Disneyland, and Haunted Mansion Holiday opened today for its 2019 season. The wait times at Disneyland are mirroring those at WDW, but with some interesting changes as we begin Halloween season (still too early for my tastes!)

At 12:15pm Pacific time, Disneyland E Tickets were doing this. Notice where Haunted Mansion Holiday falls at 2,100 hourly capacity versus Falcon at 1,700 hourly capacity.

Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Star Tours, Big Thunder, Submarines - 5 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Incredicoaster, Grizzly River Run - 10 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 20 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin', Guardians of the Galaxy, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones - 25 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday (opening day!), Splash Mountain - 30 Minutes

Then look at the WDW E Ticket wait times at 3:15pm Eastern time, but still before any Friday after-work rush.

Rock N' Roller Coaster - Temporarily Closed
Tower of Terror, Soarin', Everest, Kali River Rapids, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder - 5 Minutes
Star Tours, Mission:Space, Kilimanjaro Safari, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates - 10 Minutes
Dinosaur - 15 Minutes
Test Track, Splash Mountain - 25 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 30 Minutes
Flight of Passage - 40 Minutes

What happens this evening on both coasts? Do the Orlando locals show up now that the hurricane is long gone? 🧐

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Interesting Star Wars crowd dynamic on both coasts. Does Orlando get the big influx of after-work locals on Friday like Disneyland does? Today is the first day of HalloweenTime at Disneyland, and Haunted Mansion Holiday opened today for its 2019 season. The wait times at Disneyland are mirroring those at WDW, but with some interesting changes as we begin Halloween season (still too early for my tastes!)

At 12:15pm Pacific time, Disneyland E Tickets were doing this. Notice where Haunted Mansion falls at 2,100 hourly capacity versus Falcon at 1,700 hourly capacity.

Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Star Tours, Big Thunder, Submarines - 5 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Incredicoaster, Grizzly River Run - 10 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 20 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin', Guardians of the Galaxy, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones - 25 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday (first day!), Splash Mountain - 30 Minutes

Then look at the WDW E Ticket wait times at 3:15pm Pacific time, but still before any Friday after-work rush.

Rock N' Roller Coaster - Temporarily Closed
Tower of Terror, Soarin', Everest, Kali River Rapids, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder - 5 Minutes
Star Tours, Mission:Space, Kilimanjaro Safari, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates - 10 Minutes
Dinosaur - 15 Minutes
Test Track, Splash Mountain - 25 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 30 Minutes
Flight of Passage - 40 Minutes

What happens this evening on both coasts? Do the Orlando locals show up now that the hurricane is long gone?

🤷‍♂️

Though, we should keep in mind that WDW has *a lot* of people who plan their vacation a year in advance. And a year ago, SWL wasn't supposed to open until Late Fall.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

No, but I should.

Seriously, more music in specific locations would bring a lot more to the land. Even the most gritty, realistic movies often have music accompanying them, even if it isn't "accurate". It's just something that brings emotion out in an area. Star Wars has music, some of the most brilliant ever made...there's no reason IMO why the land shouldn't have music also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom