News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

ImperfectPixie

Even old-school legacy media like The Federalist is now in on that act. :oops:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/04/star-wars-land-proof-disney-lost-way/

Meanwhile, Disneyland is open until Midnight tonight and currently at 8:00pm Pacific time the wait time for Disneyland's Millennium Falcon is only posted at 25 minutes. That's the same wait time it was posted at in late June when I first went, and the line actually was only a 10 minute wait.

This wasn't how it was supposed to be.
I tend to agree with the author's take on the situation. Iger is great at acquisitions and maximizing revenue, but he has zero clue how to lead a company that (at least historically) depends so heavily on creativity. And if that video claiming that Disney used the OT characters as little as possible in order to avoid having to pay Lucas more is true, that's just yet another symptom of the above - they could be selling enough OT merch that they shouldn't need to care about paying Lucas, and if they care THAT much that they were willing to risk the future success of the IP...that's a big problem.

WildRide

Can anyone comment on wall up reservations for Oga’s? I dropped the ball ehen reservations opened up on the app and will have to try for a walk up...

How long has the wait typically been? We’ll be there November 14-18.

ToTBellHop

Can anyone comment on wall up reservations for Oga’s? I dropped the ball ehen reservations opened up on the app and will have to try for a walk up...

Set a Reservation Finder for your desired reservation. I set one a week ago for Christmas Eve and got it yesterday.

matt9112

For gunner in automatic mode, don't you have to push just one button?

I know for Engineer you have to look away for a couple seconds 3-4 times, but you could easily just sit there and not push anything.

So the rides good because i dont need to do what makes the ride interactive?
I got to ride a few times since everything has been walk on. I did manual and automatic mode as well. Theres a bunch of quattros behind these things and this is what we get?
Star wars fanatics seem to love it but normal folks meh. The que boarding area in the chess room is a nice touch (reminds me of jimmy Fallon) but the cms are frantically running around trying to get groups lined up. It seems labor intensive from a ride ops stand point.

matt9112

Thur, Sep 5, 11 AM, very hot and sunny

• TTA: Temp closed
  • MFSR: 55
  • 7DMT: 50
  • SDD / RnRC / Pan / Sommerhus / FoP / NRJ / Tink: 40
  • Speed / TSM/ Princesses / Sully / SplashM: 25
  • Safari / JC / FEA / DINO / Swirling: 20
  • TT / SpaceM / Soarin / MV3D / MincLF / M:S / MickeyEp / Ariel / Kali / Belle / BTMR / ToT: 15
  • Everything else 10 and under

Walked on RNRC 3 times
Walked on TOT 3 times both are over reported on board (maybe theres no 0)
Walked on soaring (said 20)
Waited 25 for falcon.
Waited 30 for frozen. (The only real line of day)
I did not include any EEMH stuff brcause thats not a fair comparison but walked on entire toy story land and falcon a bunch.

I have never seen the parks this empty (unless rain storm) in years.
It has been amazing and really got me thinking imagine if every park had 50% more capacity or something.

BoarderPhreak

Star Wars is just fine.

horse-with-blinders.jpg

LukeS7

We walked-up the morning of opening day, so this is probably far from the norm, but we were told it'd be 15-20 minutes and waited around 10 minutes. This was at 5:30 in the morning though, so again, very unlikely to be what is typical.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Walked on RNRC 3 times
Walked on TOT 3 times both are over reported on board (maybe theres no 0)
Walked on soaring (said 20)
Waited 25 for falcon.
Waited 30 for frozen. (The only real line of day)
I did not include any EEMH stuff brcause thats not a fair comparison but walked on entire toy story land and falcon a bunch.

I have never seen the parks this empty (unless rain storm) in years.
It has been amazing and really got me thinking imagine if every park had 50% more capacity or something.

I am hoping these light crowds hold on for a few more weeks until my trip. :)

LukeS7

IF RotR is as amazing as we all think it will be - that will have Avatar sized lines and all will be right again.
This is totally irrelevant to judging the land currently. I'm not going to base my opinion of the land on what it could be, but rather what it currently is.
If the land was the size of Hogsmeade you wouldn't be able to get in and everyone would be losing their minds.
But it's not and this is speaking hypothetically and not an established fact, so again irrelevant in forming one's opinion of the land
People's expectations (maybe even disney's) were unrealistic as to how crazy busy it was going to be.
They absolutely were and I think most people are surprised by how low the crowds have been.
But that line for RotR if it delivers is going to be loooooonnnnggg.
Again, there's zero way of knowing this. Also, that's what everyone expected for the land in its current state and we see how that went.
Regardless, as another user pointed out the other day, Disney are making bucketloads of money on spend inside the land itself.
Yes, but if crowds are this low now, that's not a good sign. Once everyone has bought robes and built a lightsaber and droid, that pool dries up. Most of the things in SWL are one-off purchases for a lot of people.
Episode 9 will arrive in December to rave reviews and do minimum $1.5 billion
The Mandalorian will catapult Disney to crazy subscriber take up with Disney+ in November
The Jedi Fallen Order game coming to consoles in the fall will be one of the biggest games of the year
All of this is pure speculation of things that haven't happened yet. Just because it's what you're expecting doesn't mean it will actually happen (again, Galaxy's Edge is a prime example of this).

RobWDW1971

This is totally irrelevant to judging the land currently. I'm not going to base my opinion of the land on what it could be, but rather what it currently is.

But it's not and this is speaking hypothetically and not an established fact, so again irrelevant in forming one's opinion of the land

They absolutely were and I think most people are surprised by how low the crowds have been.

Again, there's zero way of knowing this. Also, that's what everyone expected for the land in its current state and we see how that went.

Yes, but if crowds are this low now, that's not a good sign. Once everyone has bought robes and built a lightsaber and droid, that pool dries up. Most of the things in SWL are one-off purchases for a lot of people.

All of this is pure speculation of things that haven't happened yet. Just because it's what you're expecting doesn't mean it will actually happen (again, Galaxy's Edge is a prime example of this).

Again, there seem to be three types of reviews of SWGE:

1) Those that have been and judge it for what they actually built and those have been mostly tepid "meh" and disappointment

2) Those that have been and review not what was built but how the "future land that exists only in their mind" is going to be great.

3) Those who haven't been and still have optimism and hope.

bclane

1) Those that have been and judge it for what they actually built and those have been mostly tepid "meh" and disappointment

2) Those that have been and review not what was built but how the "future land that exists only in their mind" is going to be great.

Well don’t leave out 4) those who’ve been and love it

Yes, I hope they’ll add the stuff that was cut back in to make something already fantastic even better, but I still already love it. There are a lot of us that feel that way and have reported as such in the 6,985 SWGE related threads.

LukeS7

Well don’t leave out 4) those who’ve been and love it

Yes, I hope they’ll add the stuff that was cut back in to make something already fantastic even better, but I still already love it. There are a lot of us that feel that way and have reported as such in the 6,985 SWGE related threads.

I'm pretty sure I fall mid-way between the 1 and 4. Having gone opening day, my first impressions of it were great, but once my initial excitement wore off, I was able to analyze the land a bit more level-headed.

One example of this was the Falcon. Entering the cockpit and just being there was by and large the best part of the ride. Had it been any other IP or ship, the ride would've just been meh honestly. The thing about that is that repeat rides will not have the shock and awe of getting to sit in the Millenium Falcon, which boils it down to just being an okay simulator.

To be fair, I was only an engineer, so my opinions could change if in another position but as an avid gamer, the mission was rather dull and the fact that we had to actively rely on the suburban mother in the gunner seat in front of me who was wayyy more focused on recording her children and husband experiencing the ride than experiencing it herself was irksome.

LukeS7

I honestly think this is an unfair take on it (it here meaning the other poster's opinion). There are aspects of it that are really great, and I can totally see how people can love what's currently there.

That being said, I tend to take a more analytical stance with a lot of creative stuff (thanks photography and communications minors), so I dig a bit deeper when taking a critical look at things.

Last edited by a moderator:

bclane

I don’t see it that way. Of course I’m disappointed they didn’t give me all that what promised, but I love what they gave me. It’s kind of like if I was promised a date with Jennifer Anniston and Monica Bellucci (yes i’m old) but I only got the date with Jennifer Aniston. Trust me, I’m still gonna be a happy camper even though I’m gonna hope Monica calls me some day. 😉

Last edited by a moderator:

RobWDW1971

I don’t see it that way. Of course I’m disappointed they didn’t give me all that what promised, but I love what they gave me. It’s kind of like if I was promised a date with Jennifer Anniston and Monica Bellucci (yes i’m old) but I only got the date with Jennifer Aniston. Trust me, I’m still gonna be a happy camper even though I’m gonna hope Monica calls me some day. 😉

Agreed, unfortunately I opened the door and got Bea Arthur. :)

bclane

I'm pretty sure I fall mid-way between the 1 and 4. Having gone opening day, my first impressions of it were great, but once my initial excitement wore off, I was able to analyze the land a bit more level-headed.

One example of this was the Falcon. Entering the cockpit and just being there was by and large the best part of the ride. Had it been any other IP or ship, the ride would've just been meh honestly. The thing about that is that repeat rides will not have the shock and awe of getting to sit in the Millenium Falcon, which boils it down to just being an okay simulator.

To be fair, I was only an engineer, so my opinions could change if in another position but as an avid gamer, the mission was rather dull and the fact that we had to actively rely on the suburban mother in the gunner seat in front of me who was wayyy more focused on recording her children and husband experiencing the ride than experiencing it herself was irksome.
I’ve been in all of the positions and engineer was my least favorite. With a good crew, I still had fun though (even as an engineer) and I think that ends up being more important to me personally. When people are really into it and having fun it’s hard for me not to enjoy myself too. YMMV. Pilot is the best imo but gunner was fun too since I could watch the screen the whole time and just shoot when the targets were on the screen. It beats FoP for me but only because of nostalgia. If that is taken out of the equation, FoP is the better simulator imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom