News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

TalkingHead

And how they shamelessly used the nostalgia of Han/Chewie to sell Force Awakens, Luke/Leia to sell TLJ, and now even digging up the dead Emperor and old Lando for the latest one.

Just like the ads for SWGE - most of them focus on seeing the full size MF (OT), putting the MF into hyperspace (OT), and Chewie (OT).

Clearly the marketing people know the characters that have 40+ years of nostalgia and emotional connection to the public are the selling point.

Or something called Batuu with Hondo, Oga, Savi, and Dok-Ander. Bright Suns!!!

It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic and sad.

Their trying to make “bright suns” a thing is comical.

Let’s see. “Use the Force” is one of the two or three most iconic lines in movie history.

But, nah, it’s really that thematic timeline fidelity that really sells the experience.

TalkingHead

Interesting that several TripAdvisor reviews of DHS sound underwhelmed by the Millennium Falcon ride. There are positive reviews of the land, too, but most of them are far from glowing.

If you want a laugh, read the Disney social media responses to the reviews. They read like a robot spewing Disney’s patented magical jargon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
does anyone know if it was always the plan to fill in this side area with trees and dirt ? when I was watching construction I thought it would be a guest area where you could walk around that building along that cement border. instead they filled it and there's like a faux gate that goes to nothing.

View attachment 410350View attachment 410351
Yes it was always the plan (to fill it with trees and dirt)

Bleed0range

And how they shamelessly used the nostalgia of Han/Chewie to sell Force Awakens, Luke/Leia to sell TLJ, and now even digging up the dead Emperor and old Lando for the latest one.

Just like the ads for SWGE - most of them focus on seeing the full size MF (OT), putting the MF into hyperspace (OT), and Chewie (OT).

Clearly the marketing people know the characters that have 40+ years of nostalgia and emotional connection to the public are the selling point.

Or something called Batuu with Hondo, Oga, Savi, and Dok-Ander. Bright Suns!!!

It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic and sad.

Keep in mind which actors they had open the land. Why on earth have Harrison and Mark when they aren’t even in the land? Obviously because that’s what people care about.

The low attendance to the park has nothing to do with Star Wars GE. But I think there is something to be said about people’s middling and somewhat lukewarm reception of the land. The new stuff doesn’t resonate as much. That’s clear. Maybe in 10 years the kids from now will feel that way, but most people today don’t.

And someone pointed out there’s no lightsaber fights which... I hadn’t even thought of before... but honestly having some Jedi and Sith would be cool even if it didn’t fit the timeline.

RobWDW1971

Keep in mind which actors they had open the land. Why on earth have Harrison and Mark when they aren’t even in the land? Obviously because that’s what people care about.

And someone pointed out there’s no lightsaber fights which... I hadn’t even thought of before... but honestly having some Jedi and Sith would be cool even if it didn’t fit the timeline.

And the fact we have to worry about this ridiculous specific place/moment in time when talking about using the coolest and most entertaining parts of Star Wars just shows the extent of their disastrous creative decisions.

You will know they actually believe in what they built when you see an ad that starts with Hondo saying "Hello, my friends, and welcome to the edge of the galaxy, Batuu!!!" and ends with a group of union merchandise cast members waving to the camera saying "Bright Suns!!!"

Because that is what they built, but at least the marketing people are smart enough to try to hide it.

erasure fan1

And how they shamelessly used the nostalgia of Han/Chewie to sell Force Awakens, Luke/Leia to sell TLJ, and now even digging up the dead Emperor
Yes. We are caught in this strange middle ground of, it needs to be Disney star wars but we just can't commit to it yet. Unfortunately it comes off as a half baked attempt at pleasing the OT fans.
Let’s see. “Use the Force” is one of the two or three most iconic lines in movie history.
Yea, the whole bright suns thing really confuses me when "may the force be with you" is SOOOOOOOOOO iconic. I would bet some genius PC guy at disney thought it sounded too religious.

Mickeyboof

It's a very small hotel by all standards. In some respects, it's probably a better scale than SWGE itself, given the tepid response. However, the cost is staggering and I'd imagine there's some rethinking of the "three day cruise" type thing. Seems like the "true fans" (aka comic-con types) will think it's for kids, parents will want more out of a WDW vacation than just SWL and casual fans will get fed up with the constant immersion.

Especially if the “constant immersion” is as weak and dull as the land’s immersion is.

I couldn’t imagine spending a whole 12 hour day at Star Wars Land, let alone 72 hours.

Movielover

*cough
cough

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yes. We are caught in this strange middle ground of, it needs to be Disney star wars but we just can't commit to it yet. Unfortunately it comes off as a half baked attempt at pleasing the OT fans.

Yea, the whole bright suns thing really confuses me when "may the force be with you" is SOOOOOOOOOO iconic. I would bet some genius PC guy at disney thought it sounded too religious.
No, you just don't say may the force be with you in a resistance-controlled settlement.

Although I heard that Rey will say may the force be with you, as will Vi Maradi.

Mickeyboof

No, you just don't say may the force be with you in a resistance-controlled settlement.

Although I heard that Rey will say may the force be with you, as will Vi Maradi.

My Star Wars Dreams come true, a prison yard where what you say is policed.

Disney Imagineering at it’s finest.

At least when the villains are roaming Fantasyland, the Cast Members still can say “have a magical day!”

Angry Warlock

Interesting that several TripAdvisor reviews of DHS sound underwhelmed by the Millennium Falcon ride. There are positive reviews of the land, too, but most of them are far from glowing.

If you want a laugh, read the Disney social media responses to the reviews. They read like a robot spewing Disney’s patented magical jargon.
From my experience people who enjoy an experience are in the minority of contributors on Tripadvisor. It just seems like another place for people to flock together and reinforce each others negative views.

RobWDW1971

From my experience people who enjoy an experience are in the minority of contributors on Tripadvisor. It just seems like another place for people to flock together and reinforce each others negative views.

So true, that's why Disneyland on TripAdvisor currently is 4 1/2 stars with 27K reviews and only 10% negative reviews. So much complaining!

Or maybe SWGE just sucks. You decide.

Darth Snips

It's not helping.
I have to agree with @mikejs78 on this one. I’ve already written a post about this in the RotR thread, but I think it bears repeating here.

This idea assumes that Iger is right: IP alone can determine the success or failure of an attraction. You seem to be suggesting that simply swapping out Hondo for Han Solo and Kylo for Vader would have a significant impact on the crowd levels for GE. If that’s true, why would we ever criticize Iger for simply slapping a recognizable character/movie on every ride in sight? You’re actually agreeing with Iger: the quality of an attraction is ultimately irrelevant; the main thing guests care about is the IP.

If Disney ends up throwing in some OT characters as you suggest, and that actually changes the land from underperforming to overwhelming crowds; then I will have to step back and stop complaining about Iger’s IP obsession. After all, he’d be completely validated.

I don’t know what the reason is for GE’s low crowds, but I’m not ready to simply brush it off as IP choices. I think, at the end of the day, guests will always respond to quality, not decoration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom