News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Better ride system? Only a single simulator existed before it opened. In an out of the way location.

Well there were 2 in wdw at that time...and the other was better.

I’ll grant that it seemed more exciting at the time - perhaps - but those rides were rendered 100% obsolete shortly thereafter and imho should have been replaced.

smile

I’ll grant that it seemed more exciting at the time - perhaps - but those rides were rendered 100% obsolete shortly thereafter and imho should have been replaced.

sw couldn't have been much more up my alley and the carbon copy was better lol...
- despite the appearance of eric stratton

nevertheless, bttf fop'd their soarin... HARD

Hawg G

I’m talking Disneyland. Did you expect them to build a different Star Tours in WDW just a few years after the first opened?

Magenta Panther

Replace both 😉

Now see, to me, the revamped Star Tours is a lot of fun. It's as much Star Wars as I ever wanted to see in DHS. And you aren't required to do anything. Nobody's asking you to push buttons. All you have to do is sit there and relive the coolness of the jump to light speed while C3P0 has hissy fits. And there's no indication that the adventures take place after Solo got bumped off and Luke became a grody space hermit. There's at least a chance that the happy ending of the Return of the Jedi still stands. That's good enough for me.

Movielover

Now see, to me, the revamped Star Tours is a lot of fun. It's as much Star Wars as I ever wanted to see in DHS. And you aren't required to do anything. Nobody's asking you to push buttons. All you have to do is sit there and relive the coolness of the jump to light speed while C3P0 has hissy fits. And there's no indication that the adventures take place after Solo got bumped off and Luke became a grody space hermit. There's at least a chance that the happy ending of the Return of the Jedi still stands. That's good enough for me.

Thats because Return of the Jedi hasn't happened yet. Officially Star Tours takes places before A New Hope.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The ride had R2D2 and C3P0. It did not have "many characters from the series". Batuu also has many references to the original trilogy, and has Chewie.

Don't get me wrong - I love Star Tours - but the same complaints that can be said about Batuu can be said about Star Wars, with maybe the exception of the music. Sub in Chewie for C3P0, and you have basically the same character representation of characters from the original trilogy - more on Batuu actually, as you have Yoda playing a large role in Savi's.
NO you are wrong it had many characthers: ewoks, jawas, Hammar Head , i even think ackbar and others. my original point stands. original star tours will always feel more like star tours than galaxy's edge ever will.

Dan Deesnee

So, given the public's apparently tepid response to GE on both coasts, I wonder how many ulcers are churning up at the Robert Iger Company over that proposed Star Wars Hotel...?

I would imagine they are revamping their plans and are going to incorporate some more well known characters and might even drop the whole "has to exist in this timeline thing" by the time the hotel opens.

Who in the heck will be happy spending $4,000 to hang out for 2-3 days with Rose and Rey???

TrojanUSC

So, given the public's apparently tepid response to GE on both coasts, I wonder how many ulcers are churning up at the Robert Iger Company over that proposed Star Wars Hotel...?

It's a very small hotel by all standards. In some respects, it's probably a better scale than SWGE itself, given the tepid response. However, the cost is staggering and I'd imagine there's some rethinking of the "three day cruise" type thing. Seems like the "true fans" (aka comic-con types) will think it's for kids, parents will want more out of a WDW vacation than just SWL and casual fans will get fed up with the constant immersion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a very small hotel by all standards. In some respects, it's probably a better scale than SWGE itself, given the tepid response. However, the cost is staggering and I'd imagine there's some rethinking of the "three day cruise" type thing. Seems like the "true fans" (aka comic-con types) will think it's for kids, parents will want more out of a WDW vacation than just SWL and casual fans will get fed up with the constant immersion.
I think Disney has miscalculated the amount of “true fans” still out there...as evidenced of the lack of pilgrimages to the parks on both coasts so far.

Of course parents will want more...this is a 3 day “hook” to get somebody to stay for 7 and spend $10-15,000...that’s the point all along.

Best laid plans don’t always work out for the NYSE ticker though.

RobWDW1971

But this would be the third land built, not the first.

We’ve only got one Star Wars land.

Also, just wanted to throw in that at Harry Potter, they know what magic is and celebrate it. At Star Wars, a cast member told me to not talk about lightsabers because they’re illegal. Bright suns!!!

And even worse and more incomprehensible is SWGE is like Harry Potter Land, but all the original, popular characters are not born yet, you only see the characters from Fantastic Beasts, there is no John Williams theme music, wands and magic are illegal, and the dark forces people run an abandoned, depressing land.

And then people would rationalize it and say it's amazing because the detail of the bombed out, deserted Ministry of Magic's war damage was incredible and the land is a creative success even though it is nothing like the Harry Potter Land anybody actually wants.

Last edited:

Bob Harlem

I just don't see the total immersion aspect lasting more than a year.

Mickeyboof

So what’s the point of the whole immersive billion dollar land if the land specific items are just tossed around the park?

https://.com/2019/09/photos-keyston...rs-galaxys-edge-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom