News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

mergatroid

I looked at MDE multiple times in the 6 AM hour and it was above 45 minutes for most of it. Looking at yesterday, it was at 60 minutes for the first hour.

No one is disputing that the launch didn't go as expected. They bungled several parts of the launch. I would agree with the statement that the launch was a failure. What I object to is the idea that the land is a failure just because the launch was bungled. There is still time to recover and retool and have a majorly successful land that returns on their investment. A lot depends on how well RotR is as a ride. If it's a knock your socks off kind of ride, a lot of what you said will probably happen. MF seems to be the type of ride that appeals to some, not to others. That's fine as the secondary attraction of a land, but not the primary. And to open the land without a signature attraction was a huge blunder. You're right in that they thought that just because it was SW, they'd make bank. And that didn't happen, probably because the ride is not the cutting edge/blow you away type of attraction they need. I've seen a lot of reviews that love the land, love the ride. I've also seen a fair number of reviews where people absolutely love the land, but are meh on the ride. So we will see what Rise brings to the table.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. If it's a great attraction then many will forget about the opening few months when 25% of the park wasn't operational. Hagrids looks a great ride too and in a few months time very few will think of it as the ride that had people wait 5+hours before being told "Sorry folks it's down for the day". I'm flying out tomorrow looking forward to what's open, I realise that I'll probably enjoy next year's visit more as ROTR will be open as well. At that point I'll be able to judge things better.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
With an upcoming trip, I’m routinely watching wait times. Between 6-7am? Consistently 30-50 minute wait times.
At 645 this morning the MDE indicated a wait time of 15 minutes. At 700 MDE indicated 20 minutes. I’ve been on this board for almost 15 years and have never been accused of being a liar. I don’t appreciate that and I would ask you to remove your comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timmay

At 645 this morning the MDE indicated a wait time of 15 minutes. At 700 MDE indicated 20 minutes. I’ve been on this board for almost 15 years and have never been accused of being a liar. I don’t appreciate that and I would ask you remove your comment.
Odd, since I looked at the same thing you did at 7am and clearly saw 40 minutes. My MDE must be broken. I’ll look into it. Although other people are reporting the same as I did.

durangojim

At 645 this morning the MDE indicated a wait time of 15 minutes. At 700 MDE indicated 20 minutes. I’ve been on this board for almost 15 years and have never been accused of being a liar. I don’t appreciate that and I would ask you to remove your comment.
I can tell you that from 615-645 the wait was 15 minutes. at 705 I saw it to be 65 minutes.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Odd, since I looked at the same thing you did at 7am and clearly saw 40 minutes. My MDE must be broken. I’ll look into it. Although other people are reporting the same as I did.
I can tell you that from 615-645 the wait was 15 minutes. at 705 I saw it to be 65 minutes.
The refresh timing for MDE wait times can be sporadic. It is after all an inherently unreliable and unstable app.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The refresh timing for MDE wait times can be sporadic. It is after all an inherently unreliable and unstable app.
I actually cross-checked the wait times with the API (which I've found to be more up to date and reliable than MDE, which, you're right, doesn't always refresh). It was above 45 minutes much of the hour.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
As far as EMH, I hope they get huge positive feedback on those and make a ton of money on Savi/Oga/Droid Depot, because more hours are better for the guest, don't you agree?

Those areas are not the entire park. When they open the park for EMH, they are staffing the entire park. (They are also opening MK and DAK early as well, which are also mostly empty). While yes it's great for the guests that are able to go, an empty, yet staffed park, (and for arguments sake we will says SWGE is full) It will wind up costing TDO much more than what SWGE can bring in.

What happens when TDO looses money....cuts and price increases.

mergatroid

Those areas are not the entire park. When they open the park for EMH, they are staffing the entire park. (They are also opening MK and DAK early as well, which are also mostly empty). While yes it's great for the guests that are able to go, an empty, yet staffed park, (and for arguments sake we will says SWGE is full) It will wind up costing TDO much more than what SWGE can bring in.

What happens when TDO looses money....cuts and price increases.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure not every attraction is open at 6am?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure not every attraction is open at 6am?

Hollywood Studios is fully open. DAK is open with the exception of the Safaris which open later. MK is NFL and Main Street and Tomorrow Land. I don't believe Adventure, Frontier, and Liberty Square are open.

But couple in that you have to start up and staff monorails, buses, parking, resorts, watercraft, restaurants, shops, etc. It $$ adds up.

DCLcruiser

Great point!

And it just dropped to 30 minutes. I would much rather wait in the current 30 minute line at 6pm then get up at 6am for walk-on. The indoor queue is very nicely done, especially the Honda pre-show guy, no need to rush through it.

Getting up at 6am to go to a theme park doesn't seem like a vacation, it seems like punishment. Unless you've just flown in the day before from Moscow or Istanbul and are working through a negative seven hour time change.
Quoted by the Inside-outsider 🤩

Figments Friend

Great point!

And it just dropped to 30 minutes. I would much rather wait in the current 30 minute line at 6pm then get up at 6am for walk-on. The indoor queue is very nicely done, especially the Honda pre-show guy, no need to rush through it.

Getting up at 6am to go to a theme park doesn't seem like a vacation, it seems like punishment. Unless you've just flown in the day before from Moscow or Istanbul and are working through a negative seven hour time change.

Agree, although i will admit i am considering trying the 'EXTRA Extra Magic Hours' early morning option at DHS at the end of this month when i will be down in O-Town.
It IS crazy...as i usually like to 'sleep in' while on a vacation break, but that just never seems to happen much at Walt Disney World.
Another reason why i prefer Disneyland, but that's for another thread.....

Why do it?
Well, if you are up anyway, i see it as a option to try to squeeze in some time to see the land and then leave to go over to another Park.
DHS is my least favorite WDW Park, so i typically only stay there for a couple of hours tops and then move on.
This visit i do want to check out 'Galaxy's Edge' to see the end result, despite being aware of it's many shortcomings.
Should be interesting....i'm looking forward to checking it out.

-

DCLcruiser

11:23 AM ET Today... 95 min for ToT vs. 45 min MF:SR

fullsizeoutput_1105.jpeg

Texas84

Is it possible WDW guests don't know what to do with the walk around characters? We're used to having to get in line, unlike Disneyland. I was pleasantly surprised to see two Country Bears just wandering at MK but the guests seemed confused by them. Chewy does seem to get a lot of attention though.

And BTW, what happens when a Stormtrooper takes someone away? Do they get a pin or something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom