News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's why I did a ride vs ride evaluation. When people have shortened their trips to leave ahead of a storm that was projected to head right for Orlando, today is the last day for many who originally intended to stay the whole long weekend. Last day means do what you like the best before you have to leave. In that scenario, people are choosing rides like FoP OVER A BRAND SPANKING NEW RIDE. That was the point.
It's a bad, invalid point. You can't compare the two.

carolina_yankee

They’re.... keeping a close eye on it. As of now it’s not what was expected.

Like I’ve said Rise could bring a second wind.

Do you know if Disney expected a full rush as if the land were fully open, or did they have an expectation that just opening MFSR would result in less crowds than opening a full land? Just trying to get a sense of "what was expected." My guess, from their "Go away, you can't come here" messaging, they expected a full onslaught, which probably wasn't wise . . .

Do you also have a sense of their level of satisfaction to guest reponse to the land as it is? Publicly, they seem very pleased, but that's spin. Also just curious as to how spun it is. My guess here is most guests are satisfied while some clearly expected more/better, even from a one attraction unveiling.

Tom Morrow

Do NOT use the wait time of MFSR to gauge the crowds, popularity, and success of the land. Last night, night two, there were more people packed into the place than could even fit in Pandora or Diagon Alley.

"Why does Flight of Passage have a higher wait time?"
First and foremost, it's using Fastpass, which artificially inflates the standby line. MFSR is not using Fastpass. Second, it's basically the only big draw in Pandora. SWGE has a bunch of new experiences even without RotR open.

"Why does Hagrid's have a higher wait time?"
First, 2.5 months later and it still isn't running at full capacity. Second, it's a new ride in a nine year old land as opposed to an entirely new, giant land.

Donaldfan1934

I think we all have to accept that Disney was always likely to focus on the sequels. There's too much synergy for the executives to pass up.
It’s beyond me that some people are unable to understand this. Whether you personally think they’re good or bad movies, why would it make sense for Disney not to tie the land into their current slate of films? The fact that there’s a ludicrous and contradictory conspiracy theory out there about Disney deliberately excluding elements of the franchise created prior to the Lucasfilm sale in order to avoid giving George Lucas royalties says absolutely everything you need to about where the Star Wars fandom is at right now.
It also gives them more creative freedom IMO. Instead of having to stick with an already-,created world.
100% agreed. Those who’ve criticized this decision have straight up no understanding of how theme parks work. Unless Disney built an entire Star Wars theme park with lands devoted to each of the franchise’s major planets, there was no way they could’ve settled on a single existing planet without being extremely limited by what elements could and couldn’t be featured in their penultimate Star Wars experience.

By creating an original planet, Imagineers could pick and choose what elements of the movies they thought guests would want to partake in without contradicting existing canon. Although opinions may vary on whether or not all the right elements were implemented, it’s hard to argue that the overall idea of what they were going for was the wrong decision when they only had 14 acres to work with.

Last edited:

VaderTron

Do you know if Disney expected a full rush as if the land were fully open, or did they have an expectation that just opening MFSR would result in less crowds than opening a full land?

Here's a quote from Bob Iger:

"I would say, by the way, on the marketing expense side. Don't expect much. I'm thinking that I should just tweet, "It's opening," and that would be enough. I think we're going to end up with incredibly popular and in demand product with these two new lands. They are large. They are beautiful. They're extremely innovative. They obviously leverage the popularity of the "Star Wars" brand.

I think we're going to have absolutely no problem gaining attention for them or to them. It's not going to take much marketing to do that. That's a signal that I just sent to our parks and resorts people to keep that budget really low."

Stripes

Possibly part of that problem with this IP though is that people expect to see what they’re familiar with for such a massive IP.
The thing is, locations from the films don't translate well to a theme park experience. I think the option they went with was for the best. The Millennium Falcon exterior and interior as well as the Star Destroyer interior of ROTR should cover the "familiarity base."

The problem with this land currently really comes down to the fact that there is a standard E ticket as the anchor currently. It's akin to opening a massive King Kong land and having Skull Island be the only attraction in the land. It would feel like it's missing something, just like this land does. I really think the opening of ROTR will turn the tide.

mikejs78

Premium Member
No variables. Just which one is your "last ride/must ride" before you leave. For many, it's not in Star Wars land which is only 3 days old. That says volumes.

Yet even with the longer wait more people are riding falcon than FoP. So again, your point isn't valid.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you know if Disney expected a full rush as if the land were fully open, or did they have an expectation that just opening MFSR would result in less crowds than opening a full land? Just trying to get a sense of "what was expected." My guess, from their "Go away, you can't come here" messaging, they expected a full onslaught, which probably wasn't wise . . .

Do you also have a sense of their level of satisfaction to guest reponse to the land as it is? Publicly, they seem very pleased, but that's spin. Also just curious as to how spun it is. My guess here is most guests are satisfied while some clearly expected more/better, even from a one attraction unveiling.
Disneyland so far has been below expectations. Orlando, all current variables notwithstanding the same. Now if those expectations were unreasonably high I don’t know. Maybe. Orlando so far is certainly pointing to not needing the systems and contingencies that were presumed to be needed until October (I can’t go into details about these) - and that’s not rumour ;)

Believe me, I expected both parks to be rammed for weeks. I said as much. I’ve told UK friends to stay away from DHS. I was very surprised to see the rides wait time yesterday and today, see the pictures and videos, and to hear the land has no access control today. I was fully expecting it to be one in one out, one way in one way out, for at least a few weeks.

It is early days yet, especially in Orlando. Like I said earlier a lot of attention is being paid to both since it’s not the unequivocal slam dunk they, and I to be honest, were expecting. So far.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Episode 7 was the first new Star Wars movie in 10 years and featured a continuation of a set of movies that are almost universally adored. Of course it sold a ton more toys than the movie that came out just two years later.
I understand...but if the stories were stronger it wouldn’t be 50%

Just like 37% drop In box office isn’t “normal”

VaderTron

Yet even with the longer wait more people are riding falcon than FoP. So again, your point isn't valid.

Again, I don't know where you are getting your information. Flight of Passage has had a longer line than Smuggler's Run all afternoon. Others have even posted screen shots to prove it. Maybe you should add some counter-proofs to back up your narrative that the line is longer for MF:SR?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The thing is, locations from the films don't translate well to a theme park experience. I think the option they went with was for the best. The Millennium Falcon exterior and interior as well as the Star Destroyer interior of ROTR should cover the "familiarity base."

The problem with this land currently really comes down to the fact that there is a standard E ticket as the anchor currently. It's akin to opening a massive King Kong land and having Skull Island be the only attraction in the land. It would feel like it's missing something, just like this land does. I really think the opening of ROTR will turn the tide.
The thing is, both attractions are based on the Disney versions. They’re trying to rewrite history. Everything else notwithstanding that’s the problem I have (I know. Poor little old me.)

I still expect Rise to be fantastic. Personally it’d be even better if Vader was chasing me and not some young upstart wannabe version.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The toys for TLJ were objectively awful.
...like the characters and the movie?

(Come on...couldn’t resist)

But let’s look at this: 7 had NOTHING in the way of cool toys like empire of Jedi...that’s a must for these movies.

At least 8 tried some new ships and stuff...even if they sucked

B-Wings In 8...and ISDs...pumped for that

“If it’s broke...go back to what wasn’t”
Disneyland so far has been below expectations. Orlando, all current variables notwithstanding the same. Now if those expectations were unreasonably high I don’t know. Maybe. Orlando so far is certainly pointing to not needing the systems and contingencies that were presumed to be needed until October (I can’t go into details about these) - and that’s not rumour ;)

Believe me, I expected both parks to be rammed for weeks. I said as much. I’ve told UK friends to stay away. I was very surprised to see the rides wait time yesterday and today, see the pictures and videos, and to hear the land has no access control today. I was fully expecting it to be one in one out, one way in one way out, for at least a few weeks.

It is early days yet, especially in Orlando. Like I said earlier a lot of attention is being paid to both since it’s not the unequivocal slam dunk they, and I to be honest, were expecting. So far.
Even with the storm...shutting down the virtual queue 8 hours in “doesn’t look good”

Stripes

The thing is, both attractions are based on the Disney versions. They’re trying to rewrite history. Everything else notwithstanding that’s the problem I have (I know. Poor little old me.)

I still expect Rise to be fantastic. Personally it’d be even better if Vader was chasing me and not some young upstart wannabe version.
I definitely understand the criticism of the land being based on the new films (I don't care for them either, especially episode 8, though I do have slightly higher hopes for Episode 9 than I had a few weeks ago).

I do wish Vader, above anyone else, was part of the land but his absence doesn't hamper my enjoyment as much as I thought it would.

Kylo is annoying. As SNL labeled him, he is a punk b****.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here's a quote from Bob Iger:

"I would say, by the way, on the marketing expense side. Don't expect much. I'm thinking that I should just tweet, "It's opening," and that would be enough. I think we're going to end up with incredibly popular and in demand product with these two new lands. They are large. They are beautiful. They're extremely innovative. They obviously leverage the popularity of the "Star Wars" brand.

I think we're going to have absolutely no problem gaining attention for them or to them. It's not going to take much marketing to do that. That's a signal that I just sent to our parks and resorts people to keep that budget really low."

So “dead wrong”...ok...let’s move on.

Stop with the ROTR thing...please. This is just too pro-Disney convenient based on actual events.

And the situation worked will with avatar...one example.

It worked completely opposite with Harry Potter - which is IP driven. And even toy story land...which is the definition of mediocre.

Nice try there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They’re.... keeping a close eye on it. As of now it’s not what was expected.

Like I’ve said Rise could bring a second wind.

Well, if the attendance in DHS isn't going to leap frog over Epcot's attendance, then the boys at WDW can relax and stop adding new things to Epcot!!

Believe me, I expected both parks to be rammed for weeks. I said as much. I’ve told UK friends to stay away from DHS.

Oh, so *you're* the reason attendance is low!!

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom