News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Mac Tonight

Interesting take, though I can't say I'm inclined to disagree.

"If you ever needed proof that there’s more to theme parks than rides, go visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge… assuming you can get a reservation. The newest Disneyland expansion opens today with one ride in operation, and although there’s a lot to love about Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, it’s surprisingly the least impressive part of Galaxy’s Edge."

TragicMike

It's strange seeing the juxtaposition between how masterfully Disneyland uses every acre possible to fit in as many attractions as possible and then you get a 14 acre land with (currently) only a simulator ride. It works in Florida because of all the available swampland space but it's so odd in Anaheim. Still, the shops and facade looks cool so it's not like it's a total waste.

DanielBB8

It's strange seeing the juxtaposition between how masterfully Disneyland uses every acre possible to fit in as many attractions as possible and then you get a 14 acre land with (currently) only a simulator ride. It works in Florida because of all the available swampland space but it's so odd in Anaheim. Still, the shops and facade looks cool so it's not like it's a total waste.
It is actually smaller in DHS because it doesn't have 3 entrances. It only has 2 entrances. Disneyland has the additional setback from Critter Country, which allow more breathing room. DHS has Toy Story Land that takes up an additional 11 acres that could have been expansion space for more Star Wars. Even worse is Toy Story Land has 2 rides that take up 11 acres of which one ride is the Saucers flat ride and the other is the roller coaster that spreads out to almost the rest of the land. They couldn't add at least 2 more flat rides to make it more complete.

Star Wars Land was designed for Disneyland first, then fitted into DHS. I'm sure they will make better use of space in Disneyland for exactly that reason, but they aren't ready yet for "Rise of the Resistance". They fitted a lot of shopping and dining experiences in the land. There was a discussion that Disney didn't fill out every building. More is coming. We just don't know what will come, but they have all the time in the world.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I think you are seeing results... and applying that as if it were the design consideration. Look at that whole side of the park...

Critter country... two rides
NOS... two rides
The Jungle Cruise itself takes up MASSIVE space with little return
ROA is the same.. massive space with very limited actual attraction anchoring anymore

And the ranch and FL theatre have hogged a MASSIVE swath of DL for decades. I don't think its a big deal because it's not like Disney took out 5-6 prior attractions or density and replaced it with low density. It converted space that was very low density as far as customers were concerned.

SuddenStorm

Yet another example of how much Galaxy's Edge differs from the design and standards held throughout the rest of the park.

It's not looking like the video game is gonna become the next Pirates either- so I still hold my belief that New Orleans Square is the most important and proper addition to Disneyland since opening.

Jubs

GC0bzQd.jpg

From Reddit

Rich Brownn

OMG! This is why I hate the internet sometimes. Reading comprehension sucks. I literally pointed that out in the second sentence in the post you just quoted, but that you somehow overlooked. What I said in my post:

"Yes TLJ was definitely divided by fans but critics loved it."

It's literally saying what you said I 'omitted'. I mean, seriously. How much more clearer could I say it?

And I liked how you conveniently ignored everything else in my post. ;D

Are we done here?
RT admitted the user reviews were bombed which is why they changed it. CinemaScore (which actually tracks people exiting from the movie) scored much higher as an A-

socalifornian

Knowing WDW, TDO probably saw plans with more rides and went “WOOOAAAH that’s too many for the studios”

mickEblu

I think you are seeing results... and applying that as if it were the design consideration. Look at that whole side of the park...

Critter country... two rides
NOS... two rides
The Jungle Cruise itself takes up MASSIVE space with little return
ROA is the same.. massive space with very limited actual attraction anchoring anymore

And the ranch and FL theatre have hogged a MASSIVE swath of DL for decades. I don't think its a big deal because it's not like Disney took out 5-6 prior attractions or density and replaced it with low density. It converted space that was very low density as far as customers were concerned.

Are any of those lands 14 acres though? I don’t think you can count the ROA (or TSI) as not only does it host multiple attractions but it is the centerpiece of the west side of the park and what it does for that side of the park atmospherically is immeasurable.

TROR

Just watched a video of Smuggler's Run. Something odd I noticed is that it seems like the video is designed to be as if it's only the cockpit flying and not the entire Falcon. Like there will be something to the left of the cockpit that it looks like the Falcon would run into and then it doesn't. Is this a glaring oversight?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Just watched a video of Smuggler's Run. Something odd I noticed is that it seems like the video is designed to be as if it's only the cockpit flying and not the entire Falcon. Like there will be something to the left of the cockpit that it looks like the Falcon would run into and then it doesn't. Is this a glaring oversight?
That is a good point. it does seem that way. it has to be an oversight. has to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom