News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I really have mixed feelings about these issues. I enjoy the immersive nature of Potter, Pandora, and SW:GE, but I'm not sure I require it to enjoy these stories brought to life. I have watched Disneyland evolve since the early '60s. I was a huge Disney nerd since I was in grade school. I spent dozens of hours at the Anaheim Library once it became a depository for the Disney Archives in the early '70s.

The idea that an entire land with multiple attractions has a cohesive backstory is enjoyable to me, but not essential. I have no problem with the liberties taken with the Falcon interior. Walking up the ramp to enter the ship is just not possible--it was hard enough for the actors. The fact that the interior as filmed couldn't physically fit in the exterior shell renders any purist requirements moot for me. I wish they had done a better job with the docking ring and boarding the ship. But the size of the chess room and the corridor configuration to accommodate three cockpit boarding positions works just fine for me. I'M INSIDE THE FREAKING FALCON!!!

I think I would have been fine with a generic "Star Wars Land" that took a more generalized approach, with different attractions set in various places and times. Hell, I wish they had turned Epcot Future World into SWL and made Spaceship Earth into the Death Star--I think it would have been amazing. And they could have repurposed Body Wars into Star Tours.

My impression of SW:GE remains that it's an amazing experience and I think it will be even better when RotR opens. I'm looking forward to visiting again after everything gets settled in. The CMs need weeks, if not months, to adjust to their themed patter (this is what friends who have worked attractions have told me). The characters walking around are adjusting to doing atmosphere work instead of Meet & Greet (and it's very different for the performers). I think it will be a huge success, but I won't be surprised if there are changes that have to be made. I'm unclear as to how successful the Disney Play app will be in all this. And I wonder how well the marketplace with it's small individual stalls will handle the crowds. I think our opinions will be very different in the weeks to come--even my own, given that I have only experienced it for four hours in preview conditions, including limited crowds (which was heaven).

I'm just sorry that I'm probably not going to get to visit again any time soon (probably at least the fall). I had a great time and can't wait to do it again, over and over.

Bright Suns, friends!
I brought this over here because I have a construction related question which I think you might have some input on. Given the marketplace is small, could they effectively add a second story to any of those shops later on (say 2-3 years from now) and theme it so it blends in the background as not the interrupt the views from outside the land?

The_Mesh_Hatter

I brought this over here because I have a construction related question which I think you might have some input on. Given the marketplace is small, could they effectively add a second story to any of those shops later on (say 2-3 years from now) and theme it so it blends in the background as not the interrupt the views from outside the land?

There’s really only two proper shops in the land: the Den of Antiques and the Droid Depot. Both of those have extremely high ~20 ft ceilings. So most of that height is used for ceilings, or break rooms. Every other shop is just a stall.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There’s really only two proper shops in the land: the Den of Antiques and the Droid Depot. Both of those have extremely high ~20 ft ceilings. So most of that height is used for ceilings, or break rooms. Every other shop is just a stall.
But my question is couldn't they go upward instead of outward in order to enlarge the marketplace if they find its just too small?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I believe the shops already take up all the height the building’s have
I think you're missing my question. Yes the shops take up all the height of the buildings as currently built.

My question is now that its built couldn't they just add a second story to all shops in the marketplace, basically expanding upward instead of outward?

Yes we can say in hindsight they should have built it larger to begin with, but we are where we are. And I can see what they were going for, but too small is still too small when you have 10-15k guests in the land. So my question still stands, as I asked couldn't they just add a second story to expand the market place so all shops have an upstairs and downstairs area. They could even do it when they add the restaurant and make that two stories as well and connect the whole thing. Of course the second story would need to have a rocky exterior in order to blend in so as not to disrupt the views from outside the land.

rsm

I think you're missing my question. Yes the shops take up all the height of the buildings as currently built.

My question is now that its built couldn't they just add a second story to all shops in the marketplace, basically expanding upward instead of outward?

Yes we can say in hindsight they should have built it larger to begin with, but we are where we are. And I can see what they were going for, but too small is still too small when you have 10-15k guests in the land. So my question still stands, as I asked couldn't they just add a second story to expand the market place so all shops have an upstairs and downstairs area. They could even do it when they add the restaurant and make that two stories as well and connect the whole thing. Of course the second story would need to have a rocky exterior in order to blend in so as not to disrupt the views from outside the land.

assuming that the steel for the existing structures was not designed with a potential 2nd level in mind (which there is no evidence that it was) there would be two options - build a secondary, independently structure with independent support "legs" around/over the existing with a facade to make it look unified, OR demolish what is there and build a new two level structure. Either would require lengthy shutdown of the lower structure and closure of the surrounding area. It doesn't seem a likely solution.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
assuming that the steel for the existing structures was not designed with a potential 2nd level in mind (which there is no evidence that it was) there would be two options - build a secondary, independently structure with independent support "legs" around/over the existing with a facade to make it look unified, OR demolish what is there and build a new two level structure. Either would require lengthy shutdown of the lower structure and closure of the surrounding area. It doesn't seem a likely solution.
The point is its possible, again assuming there was no expansion in mind for a potential 2nd level when built. Who's to say, maybe in the Batuu future timeline (Phase 2/3) Black Spire Outpost had an expansion where a new restaurant with more expanded shopping areas and scenic views of the land were introduced to all who visit.

As we know the land was meant to change over time....

DanielBB8

Assuming the shops are too small, why would anyone go to the second floor? For what reason will people climb stairs for more shopping? They're better off making the shops more efficient. Since they went with the bazaar approach, they can easily sell merchandise from kiosks outside.

captveg

I suspect that there are several options for expansion. The restaurant is the obvious first step. After that, though, they could have a path past that restaurant towards more backstage space where more shops and a 3rd ride could eventually be placed, assuming they would be willing to axe more backstage buildings. (And why wouldn't they be if the land is successful enough to consider expansion?)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Assuming the shops are too small, why would anyone go to the second floor? For what reason will people climb stairs for more shopping? They're better off making the shops more efficient. Since they went with the bazaar approach, they can easily sell merchandise from kiosks outside.
I would think the answer is obvious, but guess not. So here goes...

If the shops are too small there is only so much room for guests to walk around, hence only so many ways to make it efficient. Which is why expanding to a second floor allows for more floor space and thus more room for guests to walk around and buy merch.

DLR>WDW

If you’re a Twitter addict like me and want to stay away from visual spoilers, I recommend you turn off “media previews” under the display and sound settings.

britain

There is interior expansion space already built into the existing structures. Some of the doors in the buildings currently open into empty spaces, reserved or future expansion. At least according to WDI.

Yes but I think the doors they are referring to all lead to that restaurant space.

SMLR

found this pic on Twitter, seems like they (a movie news account) posted it ahead of the embargo lol

DanielBB8

I would think the answer is obvious, but guess not. So here goes...

If the shops are too small there is only so much room for guests to walk around, hence only so many ways to make it efficient. Which is why expanding to a second floor allows for more floor space and thus more room for guests to walk around and buy merch.
Is it obvious that guests will walk to the second floor for one store? In a mall, you'll go to the second floor for all the stores that are on the second floor, but much more money will be made on the first floor. This is even more obvious. Most purchases are impulse buys that become less so once people have to think about it and make more of an effort.

What would be more efficient is for the merchandising experiences like the light saber and droid construction is done on the second floor to free up space on the first floor. Table service restaurants should also be on the second floor to free up merchandising on the first floor.

Disney has already spent tons of money on the land so perhaps they aren't thinking about increasing additional costs by adding second floors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom