News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Darkbeer1

...what hot water? I'm assuming the guy doesn't know, or why would he not speak up?
There's no NDA protection to describe what the problem is.

My main NDA is due to the fact I am in the group that decides on how to spend Disney's Political funds for the Southern California region, basically Anaheim and Orange County. Disney's Corporate handles the State and Federal issues, but co-mingles its local funds with the non-Disney Resort Hotels (S.O.A.R.). Multiple members of Disney sits on the board, manly Government Relations folks, but even Josh D'Amaro attends on occasion. Anything I learn there that has not been made public officially by Disney is restricted. Now, we get the long term info for planning info, and not minor details, but sometimes they will answers question and get into why certain things/problems have changed the schedule.

But from covering Disney from 1990 through 2010 as a reporter and having ties to the industry, I have met and know many CM's, some from the trenches, but mainly now senior folks, and retired folks. Folks that I have dinner with, and many here would pay good money to join us. (How is that for walking the line and not mentioning names). I have the common sense to not share what I learn from those dinners, phone calls and e-mails. So that would be the sources I will protect, and have since the 1990's.

So I post what I feel comfitable with. Sometimes I go and check with the sources to see if it is O.K., but usually go with my gut.

For example, my biggest story that broke on the AP was the story of McDonalds and Disneyland parting ways in in-park food service back in 2007. I was given a heads up from someone at TDA, but had a McDonalds person state that the contract was ending, so wrote the story based on the McDonald's source.

Many times sources want a story released, but don't want it traced back to them. Heck, I got info, but if I released it, it could have been traced, so I passed it on to another writer, and got some stories myself that way.

Now I get a lot of info from the City of Anaheim's staff, and have to be careful, as a decent amount has not yet be made public. I had that problem tonight. One of the Councilmembers was running a meeting where I was in attendance as a representive of an association, and had to watch my words when answering the council member and all those in attendance. After the meeting, one of the Planning Commissioners trapped me, and had one of the council aides trying to talk to me, but got saved by the Planning Commissioner

But the info from the city is what Disney is asking for, and is key in long term projections for the DLR. It is also helpful, as I can confirm things by hearing it from other sources.

I also have friendships with park presidents from three Theme Park Chains in SoCal, and there are only 7, if you count Raging Waters/Castle Park/Boomers (Palace). If that is counted, I would say you could say I have 4 connections, as I, through a small partnership (Irvine Lanes), lease the land to Boomers Irvine. Also have ties to Castle Park through its original owner, Bud Hurlbut. And I am not counting Disneyland, even though Josh knows me, we are not friends. Let me add I know 2 chain presidents (CF and SW), though one is stepping back a bit.

Those friendships have been earned in part with knowing to keep my mouth shut, but provide info to be shared in a small restrictive circle.

So info I get regarding Disney that I can share HAS to come from a non-Disney source, unless given permission by Public Relations per my NDA. (Similar to any outside provider, say a company that is contracted to provide ride systems to WDI.)

britain

Now, we get the long term info for planning info, and not minor details, but sometimes they will answers question and get into why certain things/problems have changed the schedule.

Could you at least say if a Tomorrowland overhaul is in the cards? Or since that's all in-berm you wouldn't be privy?

VJ

Don't forget about the improvements to the river. Everybody thought it was destroying the river and island. Instead it enhanced it and gave it a new lease on life.

You all hate the idea when it is presented and starting to be built. Once done, you typically love it. (unless it's GOTG:MB or Pixar Pier)
I cannot BELIEVE that Di$$$$$$ney would ruin WALT'S RIVER!!! I'm calling BOB EIGERSNER to report you all!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

SirWillow

I hear Disney is still having staffing issues with the new land. Cast members don't want to give up their comfortable rides for the mayhem of a new ride. That is the main reason ROTR won't open early. HR's hiring process is taking too long. It seems to take 2-3 months from the time you stumble in HR to when you are standing in front of a ride.

That seems unlikely considering what I saw and experienced when working at other parks, including at WDW. In every case I saw, working at the new ride- especially something the size of SWGE- was in high demand and considered a prestigious, and coveted, spot to get. Those employees who got the spots to open a new ride or experience (and especially the big ticket ones) were considered among the best employees because of some of the demands of opening a new ride, and who doesn't want to be considered among the best?

When I was at BGT, SDC and several times at WDW I saw employees/ CM's disappointed and upset they didn't get selected to open a new ride/ area. And with something with the "coolness" factor of Star Wars, I can't imagine that it is an area they're trying to avoid.

drod1985

don't profess to know something that you don't.
..called stopping rumors from being reported as fact

Mark - I appreciate the enthusiasm, I really do. And we all appreciate the scoops you've contributed that have in fact panned out. But you can dial it back a little. You don't have to play rumor gatekeeper.

Not all of the "facts" you've posted have panned out either - and that's okay. Sometimes sources don't get things straight.

Thanks again for sharing not just your info, but also your passionate enthusiasm, for Galaxy's Edge

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

That seems unlikely considering what I saw and experienced when working at other parks, including at WDW. In every case I saw, working at the new ride- especially something the size of SWGE- was in high demand and considered a prestigious, and coveted, spot to get. Those employees who got the spots to open a new ride or experience (and especially the big ticket ones) were considered among the best employees because of some of the demands of opening a new ride, and who doesn't want to be considered among the best?

When I was at BGT, SDC and several times at WDW I saw employees/ CM's disappointed and upset they didn't get selected to open a new ride/ area. And with something with the "coolness" factor of Star Wars, I can't imagine that it is an area they're trying to avoid.

Precisely. And every CM I know who works for Disney still has been posting their screenshots of interview times and getting emails to join and yadda yadda.

Phroobar

..it's ok I don't mind... you were sick that day when I was elected
Precisely. And every CM I know who works for Disney still has been posting their screenshots of interview times and getting emails to join and yadda yadda.
You would think by now they would have those positions filled for both rides at least for training purposes. Why are they still trying to fill those positions?

drod1985

Maybe they're looking to staff Galaxy's Edge at a rate higher than the average addition or expansion? Thus the conflicting reports.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Less thrilling than Star Tours, but more exciting because you’re actually controlling the events of the ride. You’re mostly too focused on whatever job you’re doing to really notice any lack of thrill. But there were a few times where we needed to grab onto the handlebars because it got pretty turbulent. Graphics were very good

Thanks, this was the whole objective versus subjective aspect I was getting at.

Objectively there is less movement, subjectively it’s a lot more than that.

This is all very reminiscent of the pre opening FOP discussions.

BrianLo

Original Poster
- Gunner seemed like the most popular position among the groups riding. Pilot is fun, but you don’t really participate in any action like the Gunner does.

Add this to the list of things everyone got wrong and right over the last few years.

The pilot perhaps isn’t the be all end all... but no one wants the engineer...

DLR>WDW

D5_nph8UcAAWN8H

from Bioreconstruct on twitter
ITSHAPPENING

btw here’s his actual Tweet

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom