News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Disney Analyst

I'm afraid you've got it backwards here.

Batuu (the Hawaiian word for methamphetamines, don't forget) is in a distant galaxy a long, long time ago. This clothing was created and exists tens of thousands of years before humans developed on Earth, much less before humans formed distinct cultures in what is now Southeast Asia and began farming rice.

It's the Southeast Asian rice farmers who are guilty of cultural appropriation, and they should be ashamed of themselves! They should send an apology letter to the Batuuvians, and also consider renaming their airport. Shame on the Asians! Shame!

😧😅😂💀

Ismael Flores

It’s great to say that, but a lot of people from cultures that have had a history of their traditional wear being exploited for costuming/profit do disagree. However I don’t think the rice hat has a major history of this, And as there is a precedent already in the movies I dont think many would bat an eye. It’s is also modified enough to not seem exact.
I travel quite a bit to China, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia and never saw an issue with non Asians wearing a rice hat within those countries. More than once i have been gifted rice hats and almost forcibly made to wear by the people that gave them to me. I have learned to not even take much clothes when traveling because i end up dressing traditional to those countries or even in India wear i ditch my western clothes and wear kurtas.

In my opinions I think younger generation Americans and Asian Americans might make it more of an issue than the older generation.

britain

In the DHS forum, it's being speculated (and @marni1971 seems to confirm) that the table-service-restaurant has been cut. It's just Podracer's Grill for food, and the smallish cantina for drinks. For the longest time, I simply thought the cantina was bar + TSR. But I guess I was wrong.

SuddenStorm

In the DHS forum, it's being speculated (and @marni1971 seems to confirm) that the table-service-restaurant has been cut. It's just Podracer's Grill for food, and the smallish cantina for drinks.

Is that just for DHS? Or for Disneyland also.

Conflating the two different Galaxy's Edge as a single entity and discussing the two interchangeably is getting incredibly confusing from a fan perspective.

britain

Is that just for DHS? Or for Disneyland also.

Conflating the two different Galaxy's Edge as a single entity and discussing the two interchangeably is getting incredibly confusing from a fan perspective.

The discussion was about an empty spot next to the cantina where the TSR was going to go. DL has a similar empty spot as seen below, so I'm pretty sure this is relevant to the DL discussion too.

D.Silentu

In the DHS forum, it's being speculated (and @marni1971 seems to confirm) that the table-service-restaurant has been cut. It's just Podracer's Grill for food, and the smallish cantina for drinks.
At first I saw this as a loss, but now I think it's a wise idea not to have a sit down restaurant. Keeping people moving through the land is preferable and I presume there will be some food carts as well. Keeping patrons confined in the cantina is going to present issues upon issues.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At first I saw this as a loss, but now I think it's a wise idea not to have a sit down restaurant. Keeping people moving through the land is preferable and I presume there will be some food carts as well. Keeping patrons confined in the cantina is going to present issues upon issues..

Plus something they can always add later to "refresh" the land.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I saw an article recently that asked:

What if Disney does the unthinkable and doesn't actually announce an opening date for DL SW:GE. Basically just one day the gates to the land will be opened without any real grand opening celebration.

That would solve a lot of the anticipated crowding issue for an opening day.

Frontierland's Finest

I saw an article recently that asked:

What if Disney does the unthinkable and doesn't actually announce an opening date for DL SW:GE. Basically just one day the gates to the land will be opened without any real grand opening celebration.

That would solve a lot of the anticipated crowding issue for an opening day.
That actually could solve a lot of problems although, I bet Disney would get some backlash from guest trying to plan their vacations around the opening of the land.

SWGalaxysEdge

Maybe something tonight?

..ooh yes. One of my news sources mentioned this.
Remember last week Wed-Fri they had the 3 day press junkett?
Wednesday at Lucasfilm, Thursday at Imagineering and Friday at DisneyLand.

They were given flyers and a tour and took pictures, etc.
They had a gag order until 2/28 (tomorrow)

I was told by one of my newspaper sources to check their online page at 12:01am Eastern (9:01pm Pacific) for the story and pictures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom