News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

shortstop

I just scheduled a trip the week after the 4th. Here’s how I’m going to beat the crowds:
-They’re all going to be tourists, I’m smarter then them, and know how to work MaxPass
-I bit the bullet and staying onsite, EMH should help me quite a bit, I plan on rope dropping one of the attractions, fast passing the other and then returning again after the second fantasmic. I’ll also spend the afternoon sleeping by the pool.
That’s as good a plan as any, but it likely won’t be that easy, as surely thousands of other people will be attempting the same thing.

Avatarland opened nearly two years ago, yet even still, you need to arrive at least an hour before park opening to get on FOP without a long long wait. I imagine it will be even more severe for SWL, certainly in its first summer.

Touchdown

Well there was still plenty of rooms at the three onsite resorts. I fully expect the hopper magic mornings to be eliminated this summer or switched to DCA so that only hotel guests get early access to DL.

SWGalaxysEdge

I just scheduled a trip the week after the 4th. Here’s how I’m going to beat the crowds:
-They’re all going to be tourists, I’m smarter then them, and know how to work MaxPass
-I bit the bullet and staying onsite, EMH should help me quite a bit, I plan on rope dropping one of the attractions, fast passing the other and then returning again after the second fantasmic. I’ll also spend the afternoon sleeping by the pool.

...Disney may not allow it but there;'s gonna be overnight campers that you need to beat to get in as well. These are professional Star Wars fans who have been in camping lines before when the movies came out.

camping out.jpg

Touchdown

Yeah but they will get in an hour later then me, I’ll be sipping my blue milk and walking back to Fantasyland and enjoy them running by me knowing I already rode those rides, and the wait is already over an hour.

SuddenStorm

Uh, "knowing how to work Maxpass" won't mean a darn thing when everyone there is trying to use it the same two attractions.

Honestly, I'm guessing that every one of the Disneyland crowd tips and tricks we all know and love are gonna go out the window with Galaxy's Edge.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Exomonia

Changing the discussion back to the capacity of RotR... I have just been thinking about this some more, and actually can see merit behind the assumption that theoretical capacity could be close to 4,000 pph.

Obviously, this is the theoretical, with all things working as intended.

4,000 people per hour, with 8 people per vehicle. This means 500 vehicles need to be launched per hour. Or rather, 8.33 vehicles need to be launched per minute. Let us call this an even 8 vehicles a minute (meaning an adjusted 3,840 pph figure).

Keeping in mind that this is the EXACT amount of vehicles loading at any given time, as the rumors suggest it is 4 pairs of two vehicles. These two vehicles launch at the same time. What this effectively means is that each pair of two vehicles has a minute to load, check, and dispatch. If there is an attendant at each bay (which is possible), this could easily be done in a minute. Especially as unload is a separate process, and does not play into this timing!

For example, vehicles 1 & 2 launch at 0:00. Vehicles 3 & 4 launch at 0:15. Vehicles 5 & 6 launch at 0:30. Vehicles 7 & 8 launch at 0:45. Then back to vehicles 1 & 2, launching on the next minute.

Giving each vehicle a minute to effectively dispatch seems incredibly reasonable!

Of course, the biggest limitation under this assumption is that vehicles do not linger in a scene for more than 15 seconds at a time. One counterpoint to this is that vehicles will be spinning, and direction is controlled — therefore long corridors could involve vehicles being positioned in a way that they do not see those who are 15 seconds in front on the ride.

However, are there only 2 lifts per section? Or 4? If it is 2 per section, this could create a little more difficulty, getting the previous vehicle up (or down), and resetting in 15 seconds.... but who knows, maybe that is possible, or there are duplicate lifts!

Again, this is the theoretical maximum output, but I don’t see as 3,840 pph as impossible. Certainly not from a loading and dispatch perspective, as there are the four bays — but more from a ride scene perspective, positioning vehicles correctly and scenes to be resetting every 15 seconds. The vehicles are supposed to be whizzy and spinny though, so just a thought...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Changing the discussion back to the capacity of RotR... I have just been thinking about this some more, and actually can see merit behind the assumption that theoretical capacity could be close to 4,000 pph.

Obviously, this is the theoretical, with all things working as intended.

4,000 people per hour, with 8 people per vehicle. This means 500 vehicles need to be launched per hour. Or rather, 8.33 vehicles need to be launched per minute. Let us call this an even 8 vehicles a minute (meaning an adjusted 3,840 pph figure).

Keeping in mind that this is the EXACT amount of vehicles loading at any given time, as the rumors suggest it is 4 pairs of two vehicles. These two vehicles launch at the same time. What this effectively means is that each pair of two vehicles has a minute to load, check, and dispatch. If there is an attendant at each bay (which is possible), this could easily be done in a minute. Especially as unload is a separate process, and does not play into this timing!

For example, vehicles 1 & 2 launch at 0:00. Vehicles 3 & 4 launch at 0:15. Vehicles 5 & 6 launch at 0:30. Vehicles 7 & 8 launch at 0:45. Then back to vehicles 1 & 2, launching on the next minute.

Giving each vehicle a minute to effectively dispatch seems incredibly reasonable!

Of course, the biggest limitation under this assumption is that vehicles do not linger in a scene for more than 15 seconds at a time. One counterpoint to this is that vehicles will be spinning, and direction is controlled — therefore long corridors could involve vehicles being positioned in a way that they do not see those who are 15 seconds in front on the ride.

However, are there only 2 lifts per section? Or 4? If it is 2 per section, this could create a little more difficulty, getting the previous vehicle up (or down), and resetting in 15 seconds.... but who knows, maybe that is possible, or there are duplicate lifts!

Again, this is the theoretical maximum output, but I don’t see as 3,840 pph as impossible. Certainly not from a loading and dispatch perspective, as there are the four bays — but more from a ride scene perspective, positioning vehicles correctly and scenes to be resetting every 15 seconds. The vehicles are supposed to be whizzy and spinny though, so just a thought...

I think you're making too much of the coincidence that there are 8 vehicles launching together and they need to launch 8 per minute for that 4,000 pph number.

The 'leak' says that the 8 vehicles are loaded all together with a group of 64 people entering the loading room at once. That's going to take more than a minute.

4,000 pph is unheard of except for just a few attractions.

TP2000

Unrelated to anything except the actual Star Wars Land...

According to my nephew up at Stanford who has a friend from Hawaii, the word "batu" in Hawaiian is island slang for methamphetamine, also called "rock" or "stone". The Hawaiian word batu with one 'u' is pronouced the same way the Imagineers have been pronouncing the name of their fictional planet with two u's, as Batuu.

Phonetically, the two spellings of the word are prounounced the same; Bah-two

I just looked that little factoid up, and it's true according to Urban Dictionary. But then, I'm sure the WDI folks already knew that. :rolleyes:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=batu

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Unrelated to anything except the actual Star Wars Land...

According to my nephew up at Stanford who has a friend from Hawaii, the word "batu" in Hawaiian is island slang for methamphetamine, also called "rock" or "stone". The Hawaiian word batu with one 'u' is pronouced the same way the Imagineers have been pronouncing the name of their fictional planet with two u's, as Batuu.

Phonetically, the two spellings of the word are prounounced the same; Bah-two

I just looked that little factoid up, and it's true according to Urban Dictionary. But then, I'm sure the WDI folks already knew that. :rolleyes:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=batu

Disney! Is that a batu?! I'm calling police!!

Exomonia

I think you're making too much of the coincidence that there are 8 vehicles launching together and they need to launch 8 per minute for that 4,000 pph number.

The 'leak' says that the 8 vehicles are loaded all together with a group of 64 people entering the loading room at once. That's going to take more than a minute.

4,000 pph is unheard of except for just a few attractions.

I do get that 3,840 pph is very high and nearly unprecedented! Higher than Pirates even.

My point was more around how it was possible — and therefore, I don’t think a capacity of even 3,000 pph is out of the question, unlike estimates of only 1,800 pph.

We can effectively look at a “duo” of vehicles as “one” vehicle, if they launch together. So it could be looked at as a 16 passenger vehicle (of which 4 in total are simultaneously loading).

Disneyland’s Pirates is 22 people per boat, averaging a 23 second dispatch from a single stream. This gets 3,400 theoretical pph.

Looking at 16 per vehicle, with 4 “streams”, allows much more buffer time to load.

You mentioned about the ‘leak’ saying that all 64 people will enter the four rooms at once. I agree, if this holds true, it stuffs up my theory.

But I do wonder whether they could lead everyone to wait outside the cell (think Simpsons ride style, with 16 people waiting outside the doors of each room) which then have staggered openings. Then the 16 enter the loading room as the 16 before them hop into the vehicles. A minute later, when that group departs, the current people start to load, as the doors behind open and the room “holds” the next 16 people for a minute.

It really depends on how they do that, though, and the accuracy of the loading style from the leak this far out.

Just an interesting discussion point :)

SWGalaxysEdge

I do get that 3,840 pph is very high and nearly unprecedented! Higher than Pirates even.

My point was more around how it was possible — and therefore, I don’t think a capacity of even 3,000 pph is out of the question, unlike estimates of only 1,800 pph.

We can effectively look at a “duo” of vehicles as “one” vehicle, if they launch together. So it could be looked at as a 16 passenger vehicle (of which 4 in total are simultaneously loading).

Disneyland’s Pirates is 22 people per boat, averaging a 23 second dispatch from a single stream. This gets 3,400 theoretical pph.

Looking at 16 per vehicle, with 4 “streams”, allows much more buffer time to load.

You mentioned about the ‘leak’ saying that all 64 people will enter the four rooms at once. I agree, if this holds true, it stuffs up my theory.

But I do wonder whether they could lead everyone to wait outside the cell (think Simpsons ride style, with 16 people waiting outside the doors of each room) which then have staggered openings. Then the 16 enter the loading room as the 16 before them hop into the vehicles. A minute later, when that group departs, the current people start to load, as the doors behind open and the room “holds” the next 16 people for a minute.

It really depends on how they do that, though, and the accuracy of the loading style from the leak this far out.

Just an interesting discussion point :)

...and they have 30 ride vehicles total, if that factors in at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom