News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Mr. Sullivan

I can’t believe there is still debate over the timelock.

Yea I also think it was a silly choice. It should have just been a regular, sweeping Star Wars Land incorporating things from all three trilogies. But that isn’t what it turned into, and I think trying to change that now would be a mess.

Galaxy’s Edge as is was built to be in the space of time as the sequels. Adding in OT and PT characters and iconography now would see Disney doing this in a very haphazard way because they caved to a bunch of people who don’t actually know how to run a theme park. It would be an absolute disaster.

What they can do is fine tune what they have. This land could be AMAZING and be timelocked to the sequels and all it will take is more interactivity, entertainment, and one more attraction to do. The pieces are there, they’re just jumbled around the table and not put together.

This land’s success isn’t dependent upon the OT or PT, it’s just dependent on actually being filled out and completed with the material they have to work with from the ST but just didn’t.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I can’t believe there is still debate over the timelock.

Yea I also think it was a silly choice. It should have just been a regular, sweeping Star Wars Land incorporating things from all three trilogies. But that isn’t what it turned into, and I think trying to change that now would be a mess.

Galaxy’s Edge as is was built to be in the space of time as the sequels. Adding in OT and PT characters and iconography now would see Disney doing this in a very haphazard way because they caved to a bunch of people who don’t actually know how to run a theme park. It would be an absolute disaster.

What they can do is fine tune what they have. This land could be AMAZING and be timelocked to the sequels and all it will take is more interactivity, entertainment, and one more attraction to do. The pieces are there, they’re just jumbled around the table and not put together.

This land’s success isn’t dependent upon the OT or PT, it’s just dependent on actually being filled out and completed with the material they have to work with from the ST but just didn’t.
While I agree overall with your sentiment, I do think dropping the "timelock" as you call it is a good idea. They don't have to change the land itself, just allow the characters to be there. I think doing that would go a long way to it being a more accepted experience by many non-hardcore fans.

For example bring the Jedi Academy over to the stage where Kylo's ship is now, and add in an experience to battle either Vadar or Kylo in a saber duel. That would I think be something that many fans both hardcore and non-hardcore would like and applaud.

Phroobar

How about starting by making all those static droids do something. At least light up and move their dome. How about a sound track? Every other area has a sound track. At least the good part about being time locked is they can't put the Acolyte characters back there.

MistaDee

This is the context in which I was responding to the Skywalker Saga:
The Skywalker saga is what people really want. They just have to get over themselves and understand that people prefer pre Disney Star Wars content. Not to say nothing about the sequel trilogy or those elements in GE are good but the land needs a lot more OT presence. Mando was good but even that got old by season 3. Mandos presence shouldn’t be more than a walk around character and mission on Smugglers Run. STAR WARS is the Skywalker Saga. Everything else is fleeting.
That's honestly not what I want. I think it's the broader world of Star Wars, across comics, merchandise, video games etc. that really sets it apart. Over anchoring on the skywalker saga is precisely what led to such an unimaginative sequel trilogy and the awful Rey Palpatine angle

Make a compelling immersive world, make it feel interactive and lived in and then set em loose
I think you're misunderstand what is meant by the "Skywalker Saga".
What I mean when I say I want more than just the Skywalker Saga is folding in things like Andor, Mando, even Jedi Fallen Order or Star Wars: Outlaws. Just stories happening within the Star Wars universe that aren't directly a part of the 9 main line films, even if they're occuring during the same period or in between the films. Those stories could happen in any of the official eras listed out, but I agree with @mickEblu that Galaxy's Edge does need more "greatest hits" representation from the Original Trilogy era and I agree with others that a looser approach to the land's time period would be a good move.

I think you're really playing with semantics here. Yes according to the "official" timeline the eras are separated out. But the stories told whether directly or not between Ep1 and Ep9 are all Skywalker related. For example Andor as you know tells the story of Cassian Andor and what lead him to join the rebellion and the events of Rogue One that destroyed the first Death Star. That is indirectly, and in some cases directly, related to the Skywalker Saga. They all help tell the story within the Skywalker Saga, and I think you know that.
It can certainly feel like semantics with everyone using their own definition. I'm just trying to be specific to eras and storylines. Making judgement calls about what counts as indirect or direct enough to be part of the "Skywalker Saga" quickly becomes subjective.

If all you really mean is the entirety of the Star Wars universe from the prequels to the sequels, then that's just the totality of the Star Wars content that's been produced for the screen, with the exception of the Acolyte and maybe some Tales of the Jedi stuff. Such a broad definition isn't particularly useful in terms of discussing what bears inclusion for the land, particularly with Disney laser focused on a strict First Order time period for the land. It's also simply incorrect as George Lucas and Disney both use it to refer specifically to the numbered episodes in the trilogy of trilogies.

If you don't want a "Skywalker" or "Palpatine" and similar characters in the land, cool. But others do.
Again, I have no issue with those characters, in fact I think the land would benefit from some greatest hits representation from the OT. I'd just like to ALSO see Andor, Mando, Jedi: Fallen Order even Star Wars Rebels be rotated in to keep things interesting around the land. It seems like they'll be doing so, for which I am glad.

I think I did because I think you might have not realized what they really took from GE and put into Starcruiser. But we can move on from that.
It wasn't meant to offend, just that your overall ideas are basically the same as others and not really anything to do with the stuff from Starcruiser, in my opinion.
Lightsaber training, bridge training, sabaac, the holograms for Rey + Yoda, the characters with masks who's mouths move, the walk around droids, heck even all those big "space windows" they developed for the atrium might make for a cool environment in the land.

All of these are assets developed for and used on the Starcruiser that could be directly utilized in Galaxy's Edge. In my opinion that's pretty directly related no?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is the context in which I was responding to the Skywalker Saga:

What I mean when I say I want more than just the Skywalker Saga is folding in things like Andor, Mando, even Jedi Fallen Order or Star Wars: Outlaws. Just stories happening within the Star Wars universe that aren't directly a part of the 9 main line films, even if they're occuring during the same period or in between the films. Those stories could happen in any of the official eras listed out, but I agree with @mickEblu that Galaxy's Edge does need more "greatest hits" representation from the Original Trilogy era and I agree with others that a looser approach to the land's time period would be a good move.

It can certainly feel like semantics with everyone using their own definition. I'm just trying to be specific to eras and storylines. Making judgement calls about what counts as indirect or direct enough to be part of the "Skywalker Saga" quickly becomes subjective.

If all you really mean is the entirety of the Star Wars universe from the prequels to the sequels, then that's just the totality of the Star Wars content that's been produced for the screen, with the exception of the Acolyte and maybe some Tales of the Jedi stuff. Such a broad definition isn't particularly useful in terms of discussing what bears inclusion for the land, particularly with Disney laser focused on a strict First Order time period for the land. It's also simply incorrect as George Lucas and Disney both use it to refer specifically to the numbered episodes in the trilogy of trilogies.

Again, I have no issue with those characters, in fact I think the land would benefit from some greatest hits representation from the OT. I'd just like to ALSO see Andor, Mando, Jedi: Fallen Order even Star Wars Rebels be rotated in to keep things interesting around the land. It seems like they'll be doing so, for which I am glad.
I get your points, and in some respects agree with you.

At this point anything to me that happens within Ep1 and Ep9 that either directly or indirectly adds to the Skywalker story is part of the Skywalker Saga. As I don't know how you can say that a show like Andor which ties directly into Rogue One which ties directly into Ep4 and the Death Star being blown up by Luke are not part of the Skywalker Saga.

But hey if you want Cassian walking around the land and think he's not part of the Skywalker Saga, cool, I don't care what you want to call it I'm all for it. And so would all the other non-hardcore fans that just want more characters from any SW content that happens during Ep1 and Ep6, I don't think many of them care whether you or I think its part of the Skywalker Saga or not.

Lightsaber training, bridge training, sabaac, the holograms for Rey + Yoda, the characters with masks who's mouths move, the walk around droids, heck even all those big "space windows" they developed for the atrium might make for a cool environment in the land.

All of these are assets developed for and used on the Starcruiser that could be directly utilized in Galaxy's Edge. In my opinion that's pretty directly related no?
Again I'm sorry if I offended you here. Look whether created specifically for Starcruiser or not really doesn't matter all the much to me. Should similar experiences comes to GE, yes. Do I want what I feel were the LARPing experience comes to GE, no. For example not everyone could do the Lightsaber training (at least originally) unless you were on the right story track.

So remove the LARPing aspect to some of those experiences and put them in the land.

wityblack

What Galaxy's Edge really needs is to take the small roaming shows and character philosophy from Avengers Campus. Timeline be darned. Have characters from all sorts of Star Wars media that people care about. Obviously the original trilogy. Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Vader. Have prequel characters like Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon, Maul, Dooku, Mace Windu, Padme. Have video game characters like Cal Kestis, Merrin, and Kay Vess. Characters from Andor, Rogue One, the Clone Wars, Rebel. You can even have different iterations of characters, like old Obi-Wan and young Obi-Wan. Young Luke and old Luke. Anakin and Darth Vader. Just make sure they aren't out at the same time. Character interactions really can add energy to a land.

And finally use all the stages they built into the land. The catwalks that go between buildings, the scaffolding above the speeders, the little stairs that lead to no where, the covering above the extended Smuggler's queue. Have fights between the Jedi and the Sith. Have bounty hunters looking for their bounties. Have an under the table deal between aliens go wrong and end with a blaster fight. There's so much potential for this stuff without having to build up new infrastructure.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What Galaxy's Edge really needs is to take the small roaming shows and character philosophy from Avengers Campus. Timeline be darned. Have characters from all sorts of Star Wars media that people care about. Obviously the original trilogy. Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Vader. Have prequel characters like Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon, Maul, Dooku, Mace Windu, Padme. Have video game characters like Cal Kestis, Merrin, and Kay Vess. Characters from Andor, Rogue One, the Clone Wars, Rebel. You can even have different iterations of characters, like old Obi-Wan and young Obi-Wan. Young Luke and old Luke. Anakin and Darth Vader. Just make sure they aren't out at the same time. Character interactions really can add energy to a land.

And finally use all the stages they built into the land. The catwalks that go between buildings, the scaffolding above the speeders, the little stairs that lead to no where, the covering above the extended Smuggler's queue. Have fights between the Jedi and the Sith. Have bounty hunters looking for their bounties. Have an under the table deal between aliens go wrong and end with a blaster fight. There's so much potential for this stuff without having to build up new infrastructure.
Agreed, as I mentioned in another thread I'd even be ok with young Anakin (obviously harder due to labor laws) and teen Anakin and Vadar all in the same M&G. I don't really think many people care all that much if it doesn't make sense for specific characters interact with each other.

Phroobar

You can't add of those characters. That could cost a combined 80K a year in employee wages. Disney doesn't have that.

Incomudro

While I agree overall with your sentiment, I do think dropping the "timelock" as you call it is a good idea. They don't have to change the land itself, just allow the characters to be there. I think doing that would go a long way to it being a more accepted experience by many non-hardcore fans.

For example bring the Jedi Academy over to the stage where Kylo's ship is now, and add in an experience to battle either Vadar or Kylo in a saber duel. That would I think be something that many fans both hardcore and non-hardcore would like and applaud.
For sure, drop the time lock.
I like the concept of Black Spire Outpost, and see no reason why Luke, Han, Vader etc., might not have spent time there.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
For sure, drop the time lock.
I like the concept of Black Spire Outpost, and see no reason why Luke, Han, Vader etc., might not have spent time there.
And we already know at least Han has because of the comic series they put out for GE -

SWGalaxysEdge.jpg

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO, the longer they insist on the SWL, the shorter lifespan of the area as an ensemble as the audience ages out for that specific film arc. Its a thematic backwater withj very few trappings of an advanced society. Concrete everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom