News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Incomudro

Off-topic: MCU phase 4 looks boring. Without the investment in the infinity stones, I have zero interest in the new movies. The selling point at Comic-Con was “Look! Diversity!” instead of strong storytelling, perhaps to appeal to...idk. Maybe the Hollywood execs could pat themselves on the back for checking boxes? Maybe it made HuffPost and Vox writers happy?

The Marvel and Star Wars movies should reflect the diversity of the real world by simply including it in their good stories, instead of making the casting itself the point. That’s merely stunt casting.

I wonder how long it’ll take for the general public to get tired of these new spaghetti westerns/beach movies/superhero products.

Yes, I believe that Endgame was aptly named for more than one reason.

tirian

I would not call it “off brand” since Galaxy’s Edge is clearly IP based on the Sequel trilogy that hasn’t yet arrived. That’s why I call it “beyond”. If you prefer another definition, it’s a “spin-off”.
But very few soon-offs are successful; most feel like off-brand products. The reaction to SWGE betrays the same feelings.

Luckily enough, this is all easy to fix. The land’s theming is generic enough that almost any SW property can fit into it.

Incomudro

But very few soon-offs are successful; most feel like off-brand products. The reaction to SWGE betrays the same feelings.

Luckily enough, this is all easy to fix. The land’s theming is generic enough that almost any SW property can fit into it.

They need to make the land feel more alive to approach what they promised.
They promoted GE as a land that goes far beyond the level of immersion that has ever been done by Disney - or Uni.
What they're presenting (so far) is a beautifully done land, with a Star Wars theme - but it's just a land.
I don't see any examples that show they have taken things any further at GE than anywhere else.
I expected costumed characters in the marketplace, maybe some characters in the cantina.
Droids at least behind barricades where kids can't destroy them.
Cast members prepping the ships...
I figured they would at least come out of the gate with things like this - put on the show - and then scale them back as they inevitably do.

Rich Brownn

>>Touring Plans, which uses big data and statistical analysis to calculate daily crowd sizes and ride wait times at theme parks, says that based on the available information Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run has averaged about 27,000 riders per day since May 31, approximately 76% of the attraction’s ride capacity.

That pales in comparison to It’s a Small World (57,000 riders per day) and Pirates of the Carribbean (55,000) during the same period and is just short of Big Thunder Mountain (35,000), Hyperspace Mountain (31,000) and Indiana Jones Adventure (31,000), according to Touring Plans estimates.

You read that right: The half century-old Small World is way more popular than the 2-month-old Smugglers Run.

But of course, Small World and Pirates are high-capacity people-eater rides that vacuum up visitors and often still manage to maintain relatively short wait times.

Disneyland officials said Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run has performed extremely well with very little downtime during the million-rider run thanks to the hard work and dedication of cast members and Walt Disney Imagineering, the creative arm of the company.

“Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run is among our highest rated attractions and we are thrilled by the guest reviews we have received since opening,” Disneyland officials said in a statement.<<

So let's look at those questions.

(Asked at the ride's exit)

1. Did you just ride Millennium Falcon? - 100% Yes

2. Are you enjoying your day at the Disneyland Park? - 90% Yes

Thank you for answering, here is a Food Voucher.

3. Did you enjoy this experience - 90% yes.
Not surprised Small World has such a high capacity since it wasn't designed for Disneyland but for the NY World's Fair where the attendance was expected to be 70 million in a 12-month period (It only hit 55 million.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Its cute how you still are using videos as your basis for what is and isn't in the land. Even after you've been proven wrong a lot of times including this time.

It’s adorable that you still think there needs to be a person named Oga physically within the building.

So now that the mutual condescension is over. The land is less than 2 months old, and things are already changing within the land. The land was always meant to change over time, not just story but overall, and appears to be happening.

For example in the most recent MiceAge report (take it with a grain of salt) they're reporting Disney is already tinkering with adding additional music within different areas of the land. So one of the largest complaints about the land, lack of music, is being addressed. So tell me again how I'm being naive.....

But again you wouldn't know about any of that because its not in some video.
I’m guessing lack of music isn’t in reality close to being a “big issue”. Bad concept seems to be much higher on the billboard charts
Is the lack of obligatory Star Wars music really that big of a complaint from the average guest or just the usual group of people that would’ve hated the land anyway? After walking through the land numerous times and hearing how much effort was put into the soundscapes(both ambiant and source music)it’s such a non issue.
No. It is a complaint, however. But if they added music, characters on the streets and open the trackless...does it make it the “largest, most immersiveland ever built”?

Maybe...but does anyone care? Much tougher question to answer.

A good E ticket knock you out of your seats woulda been wise. Toddlers be damned.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Off-topic: MCU phase 4 looks boring. Without the investment in the infinity stones, I have zero interest in the new movies. The selling point at Comic-Con was “Look! Diversity!” instead of strong storytelling, perhaps to appeal to...idk. Maybe the Hollywood execs could pat themselves on the back for checking boxes? Maybe it made HuffPost and Vox writers happy?

The Marvel and Star Wars movies should reflect the diversity of the real world by simply including it in their good stories, instead of making the casting itself the point. That’s merely stunt casting.

I wonder how long it’ll take for the general public to get tired of these new spaghetti westerns/beach movies/superhero products.
It does...

I’m not as harsh on it as you...
But I don’t see anyway that the popularity and box offices doesn’t start to taper off at least some.

The characters remaining aren’t as big of draws as the ones they’ve moved away from. And the new stuff is getting to fringe comic book levels.

I think marvel knows this...so the add of X-men is a REALLY big deal. Feige pretty much alluded to it in a roundabout what “our X-men isn’t gonna be anything like the last stuff”

Because those are frontline marvel characters and they need them with the end of the avengers core characters.

The loss of Downey and Evans is a lot bigger than the general public is realizing...luckily I think Marvel studios knows and I don’t expect mismanagement like their sister studio.

The Pho

It does...

I’m not as harsh on it as you...
But I don’t see anyway that the popularity and box offices doesn’t start to taper off at least some.

The characters remaining aren’t as big of draws as the ones they’ve moved away from. And the new stuff is getting to fringe comic book levels.

I don’t see them reaching Endgame numbers again, but they have maintained a relative consistency across the films so far. Maintaining that and growing it, especially as the Chinese market continues to grow, isn’t unlikely.

And the characters they started with weren’t huge draws either to start. Hulk is the only original Avenger that was a household name of the first wave, until the MCU made them huge. So doing that again with unknowns is possible, if they can keep up the overall quality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t see them reaching Endgame numbers again, but they have maintained a relative consistency across the films so far. Maintaining that and growing it, especially as the Chinese market continues to grow, isn’t unlikely.

And the characters they started with weren’t huge draws either to start. Hulk is the only original Avenger that was a household name of the first wave, until the MCU made them huge. So doing that again with unknowns is possible, if they can keep up the overall quality.

The “big” marvel characters have traditionally been hulk, Thor, captain America, Spider-Man, the fantastic four and the more recent X-men franchises.

Ironman, silver surfer would be next tier...for me.

They won’t get to endgame...just like avatar sequels have no shot.

But they should still be stong. I see decline on black panther and captain marvel...as well as with a reconstituted avengers. Guardians has a chance to maintain momentum until they start to deny pay as with Evans and Downey (hemsworth cracked).

Holland is by far the most important star. He’s loved by the teen/YA crowd and Spider-Man can cross a lot of generational lines. Good movies will be rewarded.

The new stuff is stretching it. Have to be really good movies to build up new fanbases.

GingerGirl3

Exactly! I hated that scene in Endgame where it was all women fighting together. Such pandering! The franchise was strong male characters but let’s take a moment to show women fighting together! Valkyrie was a great character but now they are talking about making a movie with her finding love? They dropped that pretty early in the franchise because it wasn’t what it was about. They even seemed to have forgotten Black Widow’s thing for Banner by the end. Natalie Portman brought nothing interesting to the previous movies she was in so why would I want to see her as Thor? Robot girl was more interesting than she was. I wish they would just write good stories with interesting characters. Period.

It doesn’t look like they will. I’d rather have seen actors I knew nothing about than the new and exciting Natalie Portman’s Thor! In the beginning, aside from Jr., they cast relative nobody’s because they thought they were right. Now they are too busy trying to change things up to focus on telling good stories with good actors.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly! I hated that scene in Endgame where it was all women fighting together. Such pandering! The franchise was strong male characters but let’s take a moment to show women fighting together! Valkyrie was a great character but now they are talking about making a movie with her finding love? They dropped that pretty early in the franchise because it wasn’t what it was about. They even seemed to have forgotten Black Widow’s thing for Banner by the end. Natalie Portman brought nothing interesting to the previous movies she was in so why would I want to see her as Thor? Robot girl was more interesting than she was. I wish they would just write good stories with interesting characters. Period.

It doesn’t look like they will. I’d rather have seen actors I knew nothing about than the new and exciting Natalie Portman’s Thor! In the beginning, aside from Jr., they cast relative nobody’s because they thought they were right. Now they are too busy trying to change things up to focus on telling good stories with good actors.
This is impressive...

I’m starting to like you. Not surprising since as mostly a Scotsman...we’re very “pro-ginger” 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The virtue signaling social justice warriors broke their arms patting themselves on the back for that moment. And in Hollywood it's not called pandering, it's called being "woke".
Our modern vernacular is all terrible.

You know what other minor IP this applies to??

I’m not...at all...against diversifying/broadening the appeal of properties.

Especially hero’s...if they can broaden the appeal for kids (or adults) that make more people that look, talk, eat, play differently feel like they’re on equal ground - it can be “evolutionary” and over time contribute to societies being closer together.

What I’m against wholeheartedly is forcing it at the expense of grounded (within the story), well written characters and compelling narratives.

When you do that...you are counterproductive to the evolution I said above because you invite disdain and that leads to bad dialogue and reinforcement of stereotypes and prejudices.

In essence: If you want to go down as an SJW, you best not miss.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You want Oga?! YOU CAN'T HANDLE OGA!!!

View attachment 392933

I would like to see an AA of it in the cantina so it's name would make sense. It should have been in there opening day along with R3x, greeting patrons as they enter its establishment and asking how they are enjoying their drinks and if they need anything.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

But @THE 1HAPPY HAUNT I thought I was being naive because WDI wouldn't be updating the story. So still think I'm naive? It appears WDI is adding more and more as we progress.
Until they add a AA of Oga in the Cantina, they have not updated $hit my friend. The Disney Parks play app thing is stupid and lame and does not make up for not having a cohesive story in their land from opening day.

D.Silentu

The first art they released for the cantina featured a woman behind the bar. I believed, and I think others did as well, that she was Oga. I recall thinking it odd that out of everything Star Wars to chose from, they would have a human proprietor.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Until they add a AA of Oga in the Cantina, they have not updated $hit my friend. The Disney Parks play app thing is stupid and lame and does not make up for not having a cohesive story in their land from opening day.
I'm sorry but you're wrong. You stated they wouldn't be updating the story of the land and I was naive to think so. I never mentioned how they would be updating the story of the land. So just because you don't like the method by which they are enhancing the story doesn't make you any less wrong. An AA isn't needed in order to tell a story especially in a bar.

Now with all that said, an AA would be cool, especially with the look of Oga they show in the App. And I wouldn't be surprised if they add an AA of Oga in the future.

ParkPeeker

I want them to have an alien like this in the land, in some corner
yu59BSh.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom