News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Snow Queen

It's funny to me because Disney taking over is what reminded me how much I used to like Star Wars. The prequels had actually left me thinking that maybe I didn't actually like it anymore. But The Force Awakens and the Marvel comic made me a fan again. Heck, I even liked The Last Jedi.

I get that my opinion is not the norm and it sucks that Disney has driven away so many. But there are dozens of us out here who do like this stuff, I'm sure.
R1fdEt3.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Uh, I don’t think you got what I was saying.
You asked what the issue was?

My opinion is they don’t know what they’re dealing with and went about it “bass akwards”

As others stated better than I can: you can’t assume Star Wars fan will line your pocket if you try to convince them they don’t really want their Star Wars. Isn’t that what they are admitting?

It’s like modern art. Flip a urinal sideways, paint it half yellow and put it on exhibit.

Keep it simple, stupid.

They built a frankly bad simulator in star tours and let that be the Star Wars ride for 30 years...so when they get carte Blanche to make at least one attraction...and they didn’t build enough... to satisfy a real “knock your socks off” draw...they punted on sims in a misguided agenda...again.

The clown says “we started with immersion...not rides”.
Well funny how humans tend to want to be in the movies...and maybe have gravity or inertia drive it home. It’s primal...it’s basic...it will never change.

The fact that they can’t understand that (really on any level at Disney) is stunning.

You know an example where it works? Flight of passage...to say nothing of the 3 potter rides up I-4. Or radiator springs.

Movement matters. “If it ain’t broke”

Maybe they should check em out sometime.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You asked what the issue was?

My opinion is they don’t know what they’re dealing with and went about it “bass akwards”

As others stated better than I can: you can’t assume Star Wars fan will line your pocket if they try to convince them they don’t really want their Star Wars. Isn’t that what they are admitting?

It’s like modern art. Flip a urinal sideways, paint it half yellow and put it on exhibit.

Keep it simple, stupid.

They built a frankly bad simulator in star tours and let that be the Star Wars ride for 30 years...so when they get carte Blanche to make at least one attraction...and they didn’t build enough... to satisfy a real “knock your socks off” draw...they punted on sims in a misguided agenda...again.

The clown says “we started with immersion...not rides”.
Well funny how humans tend to want to be in the movies...and maybe have gravity or inertia drive it home. It’s primal...it’s basic...it will never change.

The fact that they can’t understand that (really on any level at Disney) is stunning.

You know an example where it works? Flight of passage...to say nothing of the 3 potter rides up I-4. Or radiator springs.

Movement matters. “If it ain’t broke”

Maybe they should check em out sometime.
I agree with all your points except they placed a bad simulator in star tours. star tours is the best similator i have ever been on and i have been on a ton.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And I know ROTR will probably at the very least be a good attraction but to not have a fast thrilling Star Wars ride is a miss of epic proportions.

What they did was try to Check too many boxes and in the process just kind of put the basics to the side.

This is me.

Frankly...I think Disney fans expectations of Disney are just way too low. Dangerously low.

It’s like a 2 hour wait for mine train...you’re encouraging mediocre product.

Star tours was never a good ride. It’s not. I’m not saying it’s a bad simulator...but for Star Wars it’s not good enough. That xwing coaster woulda been.

So with the millennium falcon ride...you take the characters out of it, and cross mission space with star tours on a toned down FOP platform?

That is basically what they did, correct?

Not good enough. It exasperates other imperfections with the land that people can more easily overlook if they have the Kick - A ride to rally around.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with all your points except they placed a bad simulator in star tours. star tours is the best similator i have ever been on and i have been on a ton.

I’ll give you that...personal choice.

My point is that illusionary nonsense was never good enough for Star Wars.

What was always the key appeal of Star Wars (other than characters)??

That they pulled off high fantasy that was “tactile” and you felt like you could touch most of it. It was revolutionary and comforting at the same time.

Bouncing around in front of a screen just didn’t fit.

mickEblu

This is me.

Frankly...I think Disney fans expectations of Disney are just way too low. Dangerously low.

It’s like a 2 hour wait for mine train...you’re encouraging mediocre product.

Star tours was never a good ride. It’s not. I’m not saying it’s a bad simulator...but for Star Wars it’s not good enough. That xwing coaster woulda been.

So with the millennium falcon ride...you take the characters out of it, and cross mission space with star tours on a toned down FOP platform?

That is basically what they did, correct?

Not good enough. It exasperates other imperfections with the land that people can more easily overlook if they have the Kick - A ride to rally around.

Yup. And in the process take all the Disney whimsy and Star Wars details that would resonate with fans/ theme park guests out of the queue and ride too. At least with the first mission.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

That they pulled off high fantasy that was “tactile” and you felt like you could touch most of it. It was revolutionary and comforting at the same time.

i felt it worked in the original star tours fine for what it was because more than likely it was the only star wars ride we were ever gonna get and then the buy out happened and my imagination went wild with what they could do and...they didn't do any of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm have a hard time trying to decide which ride would have the worst capacity:
  • a bantha ride 'walking' at the pace of an elephant stroll
  • a ramp into a cramped ship
  • a single seater hanging X-Wing coaster
No worse than space mountain or tower if built properly.

And the universes of energy and great movie ride had great capacity...and the world of motion and the original JII.

So I submit capacity is one of several factors to consider

mickEblu

I think when Star Tours 1.0 came out it was so revolutionary for its time that people overlooked the fact that it was missing the physical movement. Now In 2019 where you offer no upgrade but actually a downgrade of a simulator (and the fact that they ve been around for 30 years and can be found at any theme park ) it’s obviously going to be met with a big meh. They really were banking on the interactive component and just the nostalgia of the Falcon. Which is odd because the pilot roles are the only two that are any fun.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Easy the same way they crammed 2 more seats in the Falcon cockpit they can cram a few more in the XWing. People will overlook those details when they re having fun anyway.

bclane

Good point. To fix the capacity issues, I say build eight separate but choreographed inter-looping tracks. Enclose the whole thing with space battle projections. Four tracks designated for X-Wings and four for TIE Fighters. All fighters will be equipped with laser cannons and sensors that respond (light up, make noise, shock the occupants lol) when hit by enemy fire and tally points scored. Send them all out at once for an epic dogfight. Pew pew pew! Multiple groups to be launched on tracks at once to up the insanity. I’d ride that all day!

Incomudro

Easy the same way they crammed 2 more seats in the Falcon cockpit they can cram a few more in the XWing. People will overlook those details when they re having fun anyway.
Have you given any thought about how large the XWing coaster car would be?
If anywhere remotely proportional, it would be prohibitively huge and heavy.
If scaled to a functional size where it's own weight wouldn't tear it off of the tracks, it would look comically small and ill proportioned.
Like a kiddy ride.
That XWing coaster diagram that keeps getting posted depicts a car that is many times larger than any coaster car ever made.

mickEblu

If scaled to a functional size where it's own weight wouldn't tear it off of the tracks, it would look comically small and ill proportioned.
Like a kiddy ride.
That XWing coaster diagram that keeps getting posted depicts a car that is many times larger than any coaster car ever made.

No I’ve always thought it was a given that modifications would have to be made for it to work at a theme park. I don’t care if it’s a Space Mountain car with wings.

rsm

Like a kiddy ride.
The ride vehicle Could be just the fuselage/cockpit part. The wings could just be part of the station load then the cockpit slides forward and out. You can’t see the wings from the cockpit anyway unless you turn around. New sequel trilogy variant could have pilot and gunner position for double capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom