News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Nirya

I agree with this. Batuu isn’t perfect but I can’t think of any other planet or setting that would have been objectively better, nor have I seen any better ideas on this board. There are plenty of valid criticisms but this is one that I just can’t get behind.

The same goes for basing the land on the Sequel Trilogy. I’m not sure how different the land would’ve ended up if they had based it on the Original Trilogy? Maybe Luke would be a walk-around character instead of Rey, and First Order logos would be Empire logos, but other than these superficial changes, it really wouldn’t be that different.

Basing the land on an original planet rather than a known one is absolutely fine, and is probably the correct decision.

But there’s nothing that prevented them from designing a new planet that had more life to it. I was looking at the layout of the land again and I’m honestly surprised they didn’t just add a water feature backing up to the RoA that could then run to a pool near the RotR ride. There’s already a waterfall where the Fantasmic boat storage is, and I can’t imagine it would have been that difficult to add a waterfall on the opposite side of the ridge in that spot as well.

Curious Constance

From what I'm reading about the Rise of the Planet of the Apes ride, I have no reason to expect anything different than the sort of odd cold Star Wars experience with props slapped in banal environments they've already delivered in the rest of Galaxy Edge. For instance, I keep reading about the props as though we're supposed to be impressed. A room full of Stormtroopers! A room with a life sized tie fighter!

Ehh?? I mean, obviously no one has really seen or knows anything about this ride, but if that's the kind of thing we're in for, I'm bracing for something potentially so bad it's actually entertaining.

Does anyone get where I'm coming from? Besides the usual curmudgeons with capitalized usernames?
That’s exactly what I’m expecting. Disney thinks it’s everyones dream to live out their Star Wars fantasy. And I’m sure they think that an extension of that fantasy would naturally be to see everything GIANT sized.

bclane

???

Anyway, I “liked” your post when you first posted it as I agree with much of what you’ve said. But for the record, I said location based and not world based in my post you just quoted. I have posted previously that I think the only way this could work is if it was primarily an indoor park with giant interconnected buildings being the lands. Outdoor portions would probably have to be lands basically like Batuu. It would be easier to recreate some of the Star Wars locations we’ve visited inside buildings the size of the ROTR building. Outside, I don’t see how it could work either except for something like what they’ve just built.

Edit: I meant to include in my post that I think something like Cloud City or the inside of some of the cooler buildings/ships we’ve seen in the movies would make great lands.

Last edited:

shortstop

Haha I agree. Just before I saw your response I added a little bit to my last post. Pretty much what you said at the end of your post.
Basing the land on an original planet rather than a known one is absolutely fine, and is probably the correct decision.

But there’s nothing that prevented them from designing a new planet that had more life to it. I was looking at the layout of the land again and I’m honestly surprised they didn’t just add a water feature backing up to the RoA that could then run to a pool near the RotR ride. There’s already a waterfall where the Fantasmic boat storage is, and I can’t imagine it would have been that difficult to add a waterfall on the opposite side of the ridge in that spot as well.
I agree. There absolutely should be a big waterfall on the south end, maybe with a creek that runs under the pathway or something.

TROR

Just visited Endor and it’s a lot nicer than Batuu.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I agree with this. Batuu isn’t perfect but I can’t think of any other planet or setting that would have been objectively better, nor have I seen any better ideas on this board. There are plenty of valid criticisms but this is one that I just can’t get behind.

The same goes for basing the land on the Sequel Trilogy. I’m not sure how different the land would’ve ended up if they had based it on the Original Trilogy? Maybe Luke would be a walk-around character instead of Rey, and First Order logos would be Empire logos, but other than these superficial changes, it really wouldn’t be that different.
Tatooine would have been better. you could build the actual cantina, visit Luke's home, visit jabba's palace and have a aa actual size sarlac pitt, have a jawa sandcrawler ride, have a pod race ride, encounter sand people walking around the land and stormtroopers. have dew back aa's around the land. there is a ton you could do with a Tatooine land for rides, shops, dining.

Curious Constance

From what I'm reading about the Rise of the Planet of the Apes ride, I have no reason to expect anything different than the sort of odd cold Star Wars experience with props slapped in banal environments they've already delivered in the rest of Galaxy Edge. For instance, I keep reading about the props as though we're supposed to be impressed. A room full of Stormtroopers! A room with a life sized tie fighter!

Ehh?? I mean, obviously no one has really seen or knows anything about this ride, but if that's the kind of thing we're in for, I'm bracing for something potentially so bad it's actually entertaining.

Does anyone get where I'm coming from? Besides the usual curmudgeons with capitalized usernames?
Unless, perhaps, I’m on your curmudgeon list? I mean, I don’t have a capitalized username, but I’m sure I come across as one to several people. And you know who I blame for that? Disney! If they didn’t make constant terrible decisions, I wouldn’t have so much to complain about and wouldn’t come across as so miserable. 😡

SuddenStorm

The same way she "learned" that small world was going away FOREVER until it wasn't anymore?

I mean, it sounded like it came from a touch more reliable source- a friend of hers in WDI or something... definitely more reliable than her misunderstanding a simple survey question and causing a 'chicken little' moment for herself.

eddie104

Yet another hilarious thread with posters arguing that because they feel the ST is horrible that GE is a failure. I’m sorry folks just because you didn’t like a movie or two doesn’t mean everybody did as well. Also criticizing the land is fair game but that is not gonna stop people from visiting it and enjoying themselves.

TROR

Yet another hilarious thread with posters arguing that because they feel the ST is horrible that GE is a failure. I’m sorry folks just because you didn’t like a movie or two doesn’t mean everybody did as well. Also criticizing the land is fair game but that is not gonna stop people from visiting it and enjoying themselves.
Not much to enjoy, unfortunately.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is a major complaint, regardless of messageboards these are the characters family's come to see. I would almost guarantee OT characters will be in the park next year.

Having a TV show alien be the big AA for Falcon and no Han, Chewie, Luke, Lando, or Leia is such a poorly made decision.

Four minutes of Chewie screeching instructions at us would have been ideal.

VJ

I mean, it sounded like it came from a touch more reliable source- a friend of hers in WDI or something... definitely more reliable than her misunderstanding a simple survey question and causing a 'chicken little' moment for herself.
I dunno. That clickbait article made her lose a lot of credibility in my eyes.

shortstop

This is a major complaint, regardless of messageboards these are the characters family's come to see. I would almost guarantee OT characters will be in the park next year.

Having a TV show alien be the big AA for Falcon and no Han, Chewie, Luke, Lando, or Leia is such a poorly made decision.
Kind of like having a made-up robot as the main character of the first ever Star Wars ride?

shortstop

FYI there is a large water feature in the ROTR queue. I don’t think it’s on/accessible yet though?
Yeah, I mentioned it in another thread (lots of SW threads right now) but the waterfall is on, and while you can see it and hear it from the attraction entrance, it’s hidden enough that I wouldn’t say it really adds much to the atmosphere of the land itself (if you’re not in the queue).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom