News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Nirya

If this mentality was still allowed inside Disneyland, we wouldn't have that awful railing in the Golden Horseshoe, the fixed walls on the Castle drawbridge + metal ornamentation added to make everything else taller.

The Alice vine would be it's proper narrow width.

And Tom Sawyer's Island might actually still be worth visiting.

Not sure how much of that is Disney's fault when they're trying to comply with the California regulations. If they weren't a thing, you'd have to assume Disney would have been happy to leave them as they originally were because it would mean not having to spend money on something.

SuddenStorm

Not sure how much of that is Disney's fault when they're trying to comply with the California regulations. If they weren't a thing, you'd have to assume Disney would have been happy to leave them as they originally were because it would mean not having to spend money on something.

That's exactly my point. I'm sure Disney would've loved to have had you board the Falcon via the ramp and would have designed a ride system/queue that accommodates that... but there are a number of ADA and other safety laws that made it prohibitive.

Spike-in-Berlin

Because I don't want to read through 907 pages of Posts, is it true, that the Millennium Falcon Ride (where you don't meet Han oder even Lando but some mostly unknown audioanimatronic character no one cares about) is about stealing some minerals from a kinda monorail train, similar to the run in the box office bomb Solo? If it IS true. how incredible stupid do you have to be to design a major ride on a plot device from a movie that achieved the task of being the first Star Wars ever to flop and got so bad reception like Solo? It's like building an Expansion that features rides based on The Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet and Home on the Range. If everything I heard and read about Galaxys Edge so far is correct, it is a truly epic failure. And I am glad about that. Disney Star Wars is (with the exception of Rogue One) an abomination, how unbelievable stupid and overconfident must Disney have been, to design the entire land around their crappy (The Force Awakens) to abysmal (The Last Junk) sequels and completely ignore the classic trilogy? Who wants to see that bunch of epic losers called the "Resistance" which at the end of The Last Junk is so decimated it fits into the Millennium Falcon? Who cares about that imperial boyscout club that is now grown up and plays Empire called "The First Order"? And GE reeks of the ever increasing greed of Disney, the prices are insane, 8 $ for blue milk? Which is not even milk-based but so ty vegan crap? Now they will learn it the really hard way.

Last edited:

britain

Even an official Disney press video showed an interview where the guy said he grew up pretending a cardboard box was an X-Wing. Almost as if that's what everyone who loves Star Wars wants, no matter what trilogy it is!

Don't worry, I predict that at the next international castle park (somewhere in South America probably) Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will be part of the line up on Day One, and a custom-built Hyperspace Mountain will be a permanent part of that land.

Of course, we'll probably have to wait until 2030 for it to open, but still.

Last edited:

_bluebird

Present wait time for this supposed headliner E-Ticket attraction is something between 30-60 minutes. It opened how many weeks ago? Toy Story Mania is normally something between 90 and 180 minutes. It opened how many years ago?
You're forgetting about the fact that Toy Story has Fastpass, while Smugglers Run does not. Toy Story without Fastpass is easily a 20-30 minute wait.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because I don't want to read through 907 pages of Posts, is it true, that the Millennium Falcon Ride (where you don't meet Han oder even Lando but some mostly unknown audioanimatronic character no one cares about) is about stealing some minerals from a kinda monorail train, similar to the run in the box office bomb Solo? If it IS true. how incredible stupid do you have to be to design a major ride on a plot device from a movie that achieved the task of being the first Star Wars ever to flop and got so bad reception like Solo? It's like building an Expansion that features rides based on The Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet and Home on the Range. If everything I heard and read about Galaxys Edge so far is correct, it is a truly epic failure. And I am glad about that. Disney Star Wars is (with the exception of Rogue One) an abomination, how unbelievable stupid and overconfident must Disney have been, to design the entire land around their crappy (The Force Awakens) to abysmal (The Last Junk) sequels and completely ignore the classic trilogy? Who wants to see that bunch of epic losers called the "Resistance" which at the end of The Last Junk is so decimated it fits into the Millennium Falcon? Who cares about that imperial boyscout club that is now grown up and plays Empire called "The First Order"? And GE reeks of the ever increasing greed of Disney, the prices are insane, 8 $ for blue milk? Which is not even milk-based but so ****ty vegan crap? Now they will learn it the really hard way.

For someone who hasn't read the thread, you certainly seem to know all the critical talking points.

Spike-in-Berlin

For someone who hasn't read the thread, you certainly seem to know all the critical talking points.

I have already watched a lot of Youtube Videos about this Topic, WDW Magic is not my only source. Since the opening of GE there is an increasing number of Videos at Youtube about the present problems and concerns with GE. Which I definitely share. I don't plan to go to WDW anymore before 2021 (When the TRON coaster finally opens), all plans for a trip next year already, are cancelled since I know that Disney in their arrogance decided to focus entirely on their crappy sequels and give the original franchise the boot.

captveg

When they designed the MF ride Solo had not been released to theaters yet. It's one of the things about rides and movies - they take several years to know if they are a success.

That being said, they have at least two more ride scenarios ready to go. My guess is we see one or more added sooner rather than later.

captveg

Have you ridden the Falcon? It sucks. It’s not fun.

Not yet. I'll make up my own mind about it when I do.

But I can also analyze a situation based on other variables than my personal opinion. The money spent, the way the buildings are used, the fact that they have other scenarios they can introduce, etc. - it would take an accidental fire burning the building down for them to replace it outright with a totally different ride. Thinking otherwise is pure foolishness and sour grapes.

Let's also see how it does more than just a month into it's life. The vast majority of APs haven't even had a chance to ride it because they've been blocked out. All (and I mean all) of my friends with APs are super excited to go check out SW:GE, including the Falcon ride... in September because they are blocked out right now. I just cannot convince them to go right now in the summer. They have their budgeted sunk cost, and they'll take advantage of it and not spend a penny more, even though they'll likely fight 3x the crowd in September because of it.

Finally, MF:SR was meant to be the second ride in the land, not the first. This is like judging the side of rice for not being as savory as the steak.

TROR

Not yet. I'll make up my own mind about it when I do.

But I can also analyze a situation based on other variables than my personal opinion. The money spent, the way the buildings are used, the fact that they have other scenarios they can introduce, etc. - it would take an accidental fire burning the building down for them to replace it outright with a totally different ride. Thinking otherwise is pure foolishness and sour grapes.

Let's also see how it does more than just a month into it's life. The vast majority of APs haven't even had a chance to ride it because they've been blocked out. All (and I mean all) of my friends with APs are super excited to go check out SW:GE, including the Falcon ride... in September because they are blocked out right now. I just cannot convince them to go right now in the summer. They have their budgeted sunk cost, and they'll take advantage of it and not spend a penny more, even though they'll likely fight 3x the crowd in September because of it.

Finally, MF:SR was meant to be the second ride in the land, not the first, too. This is like judging the side of rice for not being as savory as the steak.
I keep hearing this, and it doesn’t make sense because it’s the focal point of the land as was always billed as an E Ticket. The Falcon is the most prominent part of the land and it’s not supposed to be equal to the other attraction? Not buying it. There’s no reason Disney wanted this to be a second ride.

captveg

I keep hearing this, and it doesn’t make sense because it’s the focal point of the land as was always billed as an E Ticket. The Falcon is the most prominent part of the land and it’s not supposed to be equal to the other attraction? Not buying it. There’s no reason Disney wanted this to be a second ride.

It has the most iconic theming of the land, but ride experience-wise it's not in the same level as what they are attempting with RotR. MF:SR is an interactive simulator when it comes down to it, and an interactive simulator by itself would have never justified them building this land. No, RotR is the straw that stirred this drink, even if it doesn't have the benefit of a famous sci-fi ship parked in front of it.

This isn't to say they didn't want more positive overall response to MF:SM than the message boards are giving it right now (it's gonna take a year or so to see what the full general audience crowds really think, if the reports of extremely high 2020 vacation bookings are true).

TROR

It has the most iconic theming of the land, but ride experience-wise it's not in the same level as what they are attempting with RotR. MF:SR is an interactive simulator when it comes down to it, and an interactive simulator by itself would have never justified them building this land. No, RotR is the straw that stirred this drink, even if it doesn't have the benefit of a famous sci-fi ship parked in front of it.

This isn't to say they didn't want more positive overall response to MF:SM than the message boards are giving it right now (it's gonna take a year or so to see what the full general audience crowds really think, if the reports of extremely high 2020 vacation bookings are true).
So the ride about escaping a Star Destroyer, you think, was a better pitch sell than piloting the Millennium Falcon? No, they wanted both of these attractions to be mind blowing E-tickets. They would not have invested so much money into designing a brand new ride system if it was supposed to be some side attraction for the land. They would not have designed the Falcon to be the icon of Galaxy's Edge. They would not have pushed that you can fly the Falcon in this new land as its key reason you should visit.

Disney wanted this to be an experience that would blow Star Tours out of the water. They failed. The "it was never supposed to be a headliner" is a weak excuse for this weak attraction. It's one of only two rides in the land. You're darn right it was supposed to be a headliner.

captveg

I agree that the Falcon is the iconic imagery for the *land*. But the ride itself was never intended to carry the land in isolation. Yes, it's an E-ticket, and it was meant to draw people in, and be well liked (and we have months and months to go before we know the real take on it from the general public at large).

But it was RotR that was meant to be the ride discussed by people as the game changer after they experienced the entire land. Being shot at by two life-size AT-ATs is always gonna be more impressive than being in an interactive simulator, even if it's the most impressive and widely praised simulator ever made.

George Lucas on a Bench

From what I'm reading about the Rise of the Planet of the Apes ride, I have no reason to expect anything different than the sort of odd cold Star Wars experience with props slapped in banal environments they've already delivered in the rest of Galaxy Edge. For instance, I keep reading about the props as though we're supposed to be impressed. A room full of Stormtroopers! A room with a life sized tie fighter!

Ehh?? I mean, obviously no one has really seen or knows anything about this ride, but if that's the kind of thing we're in for, I'm bracing for something potentially so bad it's actually entertaining.

Does anyone get where I'm coming from? Besides the usual curmudgeons with capitalized usernames?

britain

Both Mansion and Pirates are E tickets in New Orleans Square, but I’d wager that Pirates is the premier E, and Mansion is the secondary E.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom