News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

bclane

Admittedly it was pretty dumb to not base the land off the OT. I hope they change it but not for another 20 years. There’s so much OT content it’s nice to get the ST represented for a change.
I’m not unhappy that they based Batuu off of the ST. I am unhappy they didn’t also give us a land based on the OT though. My dream has always been for an entire Star Wars themed park. Imagine the possibilities! They could have done different sections based on the different Star Wars eras or even just location based lands. Anyway, although I’m old enough that I was actually at the premiere of ESB (that was fricken life changing) and think the OT is by far superior to what came after, I still have really enjoyed all of the movies including the Disney ones. I still dress up for all the movies and go at least four or five times to each one and then buy the discs when they come out. I don’t personally get all the hate for the Disney Star Wars movies but the people I hang with all love them so that probably helps. I only know a couple people who actually dislike them. It’s mostly on the internet that I see all this negativity. I’m not saying it’s not out there, I just don’t see it outside of YouTube and message boards much though and that probably helps me to not let it affect my enjoyment of them.

britain

I’m not unhappy that they based Batuu off of the ST. I am unhappy they didn’t also give us a land based on the OT though. My dream has always been for an entire Star Wars themed park. Imagine the possibilities! They could have done different sections based on the different Star Wars eras or even just location based lands. Anyway, although I’m old enough that I was actually at the premiere of ESB (that was fricken life changing) and think the OT is by far superior to what came after, I still have really enjoyed all of the movies including the Disney ones. I still dress up for all the movies and go at least four or five times to each one and then buy the discs when they come out. I don’t personally get all the hate for the Disney Star Wars movies but the people I hang with all love them so that probably helps. I only know a couple people who actually dislike them. It’s mostly on the internet that I see all this negativity. I’m not saying it’s not out there, I just don’t see it outside of YouTube and message boards much though and that probably helps me to not let it affect my enjoyment of them.

How often do I need to pull this out?

Link: Let the “planets as lands” idea die!

mickEblu

Lol that was a great post and I find it mostly accurate. But admit it. Endor woud have worked and would be preferable to what we got with Batuu. Of course it is unknown how good the execution would be with Endor but I’d take the unknown vs the known at this point.

The proposed ride would undoubtedly be more fun than Falcon and the concept feels more inherently Disneyland. Not sure if it’s because of the cute cuddly Ewoks, Star Tours 1.0 or trees. Probably a bit of all 3.

britain

Lol that was a great post and I find it mostly accurate. But admit it. Endor woud have worked and would be preferable to what we got with Batuu. Of course it is unknown how good the execution would be with Endor but I’d take the unknown vs the known at this point.

The proposed ride would undoubtedly be more fun than Falcon and the concept feels more inherently Disneyland. Not sure if it’s because of the cute cuddly Ewoks, Star Tours 1.0 or trees. Probably a bit of all 3.

But would an Endor land really look like Star Wars? It was just look like forest with some Star Wars furnishings.

mickEblu

But would an Endor land really look like Star Wars? It was just look like forest with some Star Wars furnishings.

But it’s Star Wars. Lol. You could argue it’s more Star Wars then Batuu since ya know, Batuu was never in Star Wars. All of the stuff that is the REAL Star Wars can only be experienced on the rides anyways. Falcon, tie fighters, Star destroyers, Space etc...

mickEblu

@britain would you rather walk around trees In a shaded Ewok village with some rivers/water features or shadeless, depressing Batuu?

I already know you think the speed bike coaster would be more fun than the Falcon. And as impressive as ROTR may be im going to go out on a limb and say the speed bike coaster would be more fun than that too.

britain

@britain would you rather walk around trees In a shaded Ewok village with some rivers/water features or shadeless, depressing Batuu?

I already know you think the speed bike coaster would be more fun than the Falcon. And as impressive as ROTR may be im going to go out on a limb and say the speed bike coaster would be more fun than that too.

An Endor land has a lot of merit, no wonder it was part of one of the earlier proposals. But ultimately there’s a LOT to ‘Star Wars’ experiences that narratively never touches the sanctuary moon and its natives that act like they’ve never seen a hat before.

Leaving the Sequel Trilogy out of it (and what appears to be a return to Endor in Ep 9) that planet is a one and done place for the alliance and the empire. There’s nothing to DO there that feels like Star Wars other than see the remains of the Empire’s base, and see the Ewok village - the no-tech village.

No cantina, no podracing, no lightsabers, no droids (decorative, live, or toys), no smuggling, no Jedi temples, no senate, no republic, no dark times, no new republic, etc.

Endor was (like Hoth) an inconsequential place that happened to have a moment of historical consequence. So, yes, I hope for a speederbike coaster some day. But I’d rather go to a speeder bike race on Ralph McQuarrie-esque Batuu than go to some slavish recreation of the Redwood forest, er, Endor.

mickEblu

An Endor land has a lot of merit, no wonder it was part of one of the earlier proposals. But ultimately there’s a LOT to ‘Star Wars’ experiences that narratively never touches the sanctuary moon and its natives that act like they’ve never seen a hat before.

Leaving the Sequel Trilogy out of it (and what appears to be a return to Endor in Ep 9) that planet is a one and done place for the alliance and the empire. There’s nothing to DO there that feels like Star Wars other than see the remains of the Empire’s base, and see the Ewok village - the no-tech village.

No cantina, no podracing, no lightsabers, no droids (decorative, live, or toys), no smuggling, no Jedi temples, no senate, no republic, no dark times, no new republic, etc.

Endor was (like Hoth) an inconsequential place that happened to have a moment of historical consequence. So, yes, I hope for a speederbike coaster some day. But I’d rather go to a speeder bike race on Ralph McQuarrie-esque Batuu than go to some slavish recreation of the Redwood forest, er, Endor.

I don’t believe you.

Plus Batuu doesn’t have most of those things. There is nothing to DO at Batuu either unless you are on a ride or paying for a merchandise experience which would undoubtedly exist in any version of SWL. I guarantee that TDA would find a way to make room for some type of droid, lightsaber and cantina experience on any planet.

Like I said on my last post the real Star Warsy stuff can only really be experienced on the attractions.

captveg

Leaving the Sequel Trilogy out of it (and what appears to be a return to Endor in Ep 9) that planet is a one and done place for the alliance and the empire.

Are we returning to Endor, though? In RotJ it is called "the forest moon of Endor". So we know it's a moon. Is Endor the name of the moon, or the name of the planet the moon is supposedly orbiting? Is the Death Star debris on the forest moon of Endor (which may or may not be called Endor itself), or is it on the planet the moon is orbiting (which may actually be named Endor)?

:p

drod1985

I guarantee that TDA would find a way to make room for some type of droid, lightsaber and cantina experience on any planet.

But those types of experiences would make absolutely zero sense on a planet like Endor or Hoth. Tatooine would've worked, sure. But if you think Batuu is "shadeless and depressing" then Tatooine would've been even worse as it'd be a lot of the same color palette except with no foiliage.

@britain's post debating the various planets really nails it. They tailor made Batuu to not only feel like a part of Star Wars, but also to provide the best theme park experience. Could it be improved upon? Certainly. But I'm extremely glad they went with Batuu as opposed to recreating something we've already seen. I'd especially take Batuu over Endor.

Last edited:

mickEblu

But those types of experiences would make absolutely zero sense on a planet like Endor or Hoth. Tatooine would've worked, sure. But if you think Batuu is "shadeless and depressing" then Tatooine would've been even worse as it'd be the a lot of the same color palette except with no foiliage.

@britain's post debating the various planets really nails it. They tailor made Batuu to not only feel like a part of Star Wars, but also to provide the best theme park experience. Could it be improved upon? Certainly. But I'm extremely glad they went with Batuu as opposed to recreating something we've already seen. I'd especially take Batuu over Endor.

Oh right cuz Savis makes so much Sense. They can make sense of any of this stuff if they want to. They made Batuu up and they could make up whatever else they needed to add to Endor so they could get could get their merch sales.

Tatooine? Yuck.

shortstop

But those types of experiences would make absolutely zero sense on a planet like Endor or Hoth. Tatooine would've worked, sure. But if you think Batuu is "shadeless and depressing" then Tatooine would've been even worse as it'd be the a lot of the same color palette except with no foiliage.

I agree with this. Batuu isn’t perfect but I can’t think of any other planet or setting that would have been objectively better, nor have I seen any better ideas on this board. There are plenty of valid criticisms but this is one that I just can’t get behind.

The same goes for basing the land on the Sequel Trilogy. I’m not sure how different the land would’ve ended up if they had based it on the Original Trilogy? Maybe Luke would be a walk-around character instead of Rey, and First Order logos would be Empire logos, but other than these superficial changes, it really wouldn’t be that different.

mickEblu

I agree with this. Batuu isn’t perfect but I can’t think of any other planet or setting that would have been objectively better, nor have I seen any better ideas on this board. There are plenty of valid criticisms but this is one that I just can’t get behind.

The same goes for basing the land on the Sequel Trilogy. I’m not sure how different the land would’ve ended up if they had based it on the Original Trilogy? Maybe Luke would be a walk-around character instead of Rey, and First Order logos would be Empire logos, but other than these superficial changes, it really wouldn’t be that different.

Which criticism is that? That they could have built a better more enjoyable theme park atmosphere? So you re telling me this depressing beige, water featureless, shadeless land with only static props is the best they could do?

Maybe you re right considering their last few projects. To be clear @shortstop im fine with the concept of Batuu but not the execution. If it had more color, a water feature or two, some more greenery and some kinetic energy I’d be Ok with it.

Last edited:

KevinPage

I’m sure once the initial surge of guests get to experience the land POST Rise of the Reaistamce opening, they’ll have a better read on crowd control and can implement walking characters and droids and stuff that gives the area more “life”.

EVERYONE was wrong about the crowds so far, so give the area time to breath and adjust.

Last edited:

shortstop

Which criticism is that? That they could have built a better more enjoyable theme park atmosphere? So you re telling me this depressing beige, water featureless, shadeless land with only static props is the best they could do?

Maybe you re right considering their last few projects.
No, I think they could have. Just not using any of the movie locations.

I actually like the look of the land, especially the Resistance area and the Falcon area. That said, my biggest criticism of the land is the lack of kinetic energy. It could use a water feature or two and I don’t love the static props.

mickEblu

No, I think they could have. Just not using any of the movie locations.

I actually like the look of the land, especially the Resistance area and the Falcon area. That said, my biggest criticism of the land is the lack of kinetic energy. It could use a water feature or two and I don’t love the static props.

Haha I agree. Just before I saw your response I added a little bit to my last post. Pretty much what you said at the end of your post.

Snow Queen

Some water features, shade and general life in the land is definitely missing and I think adding some of it would go a long way, but I'm glad they went with something more interesting than Redwood Creek Challenge Trail with lasers or more beige buildings with less trees. I don't think it'd be hard to breathe some life into the land. A few walk around droids, more frequency for the stunt show (I've seen people say it's not on at all anymore, is that true? It seemed to be on the first few days under reservations), music coming from windows, people wandering the upper balconies (especially if they expanded the stunt show out into here like a better version of the Indiana Jones show from 2008), making some of the moving parts that require the app a little more accessible without jumping through hoops. More costly would be making the water feature along the mountain range by ROTR more prominent or adding a new one, but it'd be a welcome improvement.

mickEblu

Some water features, shade and general life in the land is definitely missing and I think adding some of it would go a long way, but I'm glad they went with something more interesting than Redwood Creek Challenge Trail with lasers or more beige buildings with less trees. I don't think it'd be hard to breathe some life into the land. A few walk around droids, more frequency for the stunt show (I've seen people say it's not on at all anymore, is that true? It seemed to be on the first few days under reservations), music coming from windows, people wandering the upper balconies (especially if they expanded the stunt show out into here like a better version of the Indiana Jones show from 2008), making some of the moving parts that require the app a little more accessible without jumping through hoops. More costly would be making the water feature along the mountain range by ROTR more prominent or adding a new one, but it'd be a welcome improvement.

I can definitely see this side of the argument. I get it. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail the remix doesn’t sound that exciting. But neither is Batuu and I know which land I would rather be walking around in. The proposed ride sounded a heck of a lot more fun and repeatable than either the Falcon and ROTR even if less ambitious than the latter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom