News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SSG

markaeades ‏@markaeades just posted this on Twitter. That could be the busiest I've seen the construction area.

SWL const.jpg

NobodyElse

What's this new structure at 16:00 in the video?

It looks like a fairly plain warehouse. It also seems to be firmly in the "Future Expansion" area, so perhaps it's someplace to temporarily house storage or services until other puzzle tiles get moved around. ?

JediMasterMatt

That picture of the worksite with all the crew and cranes proves that if there is a will (and budget) there is a way. For bi-coastal Parks fans, compare that picture to the average TDO project and it really tells the story.

It looks like a Universal Orlando construction project.

BTW - the schedule for SWL DL is still on track (trending ahead actually) for holiday 2018. If they can keep this up, I would expect at least softs for Turkey Day. Still a long way to go in a dirt pit not very far away.

BrianLo

Original Poster
BTW - the schedule for SWL DL is still on track (trending ahead actually) for holiday 2018. If they can keep this up, I would expect at least softs for Turkey Day. Still a long way to go in a dirt pit not very far away.

That would certainly make a lot of sense from an opening operational perspective. They'd want to take advantage of some traditionally very slow tourist weeks in between Thanksgiving and Christmas to burn through a bit of AP demand - then they are pretty much all cut out of Christmas and we return into another chunk of traditionally very slow tourist season.

Disney's FY19 is going to have some rocking attendance for DLR.

D

Deleted member 107043

That would certainly make a lot of sense from an opening operational perspective. They'd want to take advantage of some traditionally very slow tourist weeks in between Thanksgiving and Christmas to burn through a bit of AP demand - then they are pretty much all cut out of Christmas and we return into another chunk of traditionally very slow tourist season.

Actually wouldn't it make more sense to open after the holidays in January or February like they did with Space Mountain (WDW), Star Tours and DCA?

TP2000

Actually wouldn't it make more sense to open after the holidays in January or February like they did with Space Mountain (WDW), Star Tours and DCA?

Not any more. It would be better to open when all the AP's are blocked out the two weeks of Christmas. That way, it will be busy but it can't be too tragic, not like the 24 Hour parties when the freeway backed up, the surface streets gridlocked, and near riots broke out in the Esplanade with thousands of AP's locked out.

Open it at Christmas. That's really the only safe time of year any more.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Except they can block out APs whenever they want.

Also this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/ap-block-out-for-star-wars-land/

Indeed, that's the whole point of blockouts. Keep discounted annual members away from days that are projected to be crowded with visitors. The opening of Star Wars will be hella crowded. If you need to see it day one... buy a one day ticket, upgrade your pass or wait.

As long as they are honest upfront at purchase about the validity of the pass.

There really is a strong entitlement that people feel they are owed first crack and also owed the cheapest access.

I honestly don't think this is an attempt of Disney to 'screw' pass holders. They just can't afford to have a sizeable portion of 1 million pass-holders show up eager to be 'first'. Disney is just softly forcing a portion of the 1 million to wait a couple weeks.

Despite my excitement - there's no way I'll attempt the first few months.

TP2000

Except they can block out APs whenever they want.

Also this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/ap-block-out-for-star-wars-land/

They'd need to plan that at least a year in advance, to get the blockout dates published prior to pass purchase for that year ahead. If they attempt that, adding full blockouts for the month of January 2019 to open Star Wars without AP's, the Internet will explode. But it will be fun to watch.

Actually, the AP's already exploded the Internet when they announced Gaurdians of the Galaxy was replacing Tower of Terror, and TDA is still standing. So maybe the TDA suits have finally grown a pair and can now stand up to the AP's and do what is best for their business and everyone involved, not just the 1 Million AP's living in SoCal.

That would be refreshing. But I'm still skeptical they really have the guts to pull it off.

SuddenStorm

Eh, I imagine the first year will be very busy for SWL, but I'm curious how it will affect crowding at DCA, or the lines for other attractions in the park. With as much demand for the land as there will be, I imagine many people will go and try to spend their whole day in the land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom