News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SSG

@WDW1974 latest musings are making the rounds and say Disney is going all in on immersion for Star Wars Land:

Well, Disney's Legal department just finished paying off Coca-Cola to the tune of tens of millions of dollars because Coke products won't be sold in Star Wars Land, since Coke isn't available in that Galaxy, Far, Far Away. (I always assumed it was RC Cola with maybe some Faygo and Snapple thrown in ... whiny brat Kylo loves his Snapple!) I get and appreciate that Disney wants to copy UNI and the WWoHP. But that worked because all of those drinks and treats and even candies were things that J.K. Rowling had created. They existed.

First Order burgers with black buns are just plain lame (and they sound and look disgusting, so I will not go near that stuff). This is just dumb. Because there isn't a galaxy of SW treats that people know, love and associate with the films. I am guessing Iger has called in the cast of The Chew to create items. Of course, this also sets a bad precedent because it makes people think that the SWE is different or more special than plain old DL.

Anyway, now Legal is working on Visa because WDI doesn't want the Visa logo visible on any SWE cash register or restaurant bill folder, despite Disney's sponsorship contract that says Visa gets that branding privilege. WDI is really taking the story and theme that seriously, no matter the cost. Some might say they are taking things way too seriously.

D

Deleted member 107043

giphy.gif

That gif is simply amazing. I can't stop watching it.

Old Mouseketeer

@WDW1974 latest musings are making the rounds and say Disney is going all in on immersion for Star Wars Land:

Well, Disney's Legal department just finished paying off Coca-Cola to the tune of tens of millions of dollars because Coke products won't be sold in Star Wars Land, since Coke isn't available in that Galaxy, Far, Far Away. (I always assumed it was RC Cola with maybe some Faygo and Snapple thrown in ... whiny brat Kylo loves his Snapple!) I get and appreciate that Disney wants to copy UNI and the WWoHP. But that worked because all of those drinks and treats and even candies were things that J.K. Rowling had created. They existed.

First Order burgers with black buns are just plain lame (and they sound and look disgusting, so I will not go near that stuff). This is just dumb. Because there isn't a galaxy of SW treats that people know, love and associate with the films. I am guessing Iger has called in the cast of The Chew to create items. Of course, this also sets a bad precedent because it makes people think that the SWE is different or more special than plain old DL.

Anyway, now Legal is working on Visa because WDI doesn't want the Visa logo visible on any SWE cash register or restaurant bill folder, despite Disney's sponsorship contract that says Visa gets that branding privilege. WDI is really taking the story and theme that seriously, no matter the cost. Some might say they are taking things way too seriously.

Not just WDI--it's probably also Lucasfilm. Disney has let Lucas, Marvel, and Pixar maintain extensive creative control over their properties/brands. Example: Lucas doesn't want CMs not wearing Launch Bay--specific costumes crossing through the Launch Bay level of the former Innoventions. All Super Hero HQ (Marvel) cast members were supposed to only access the second floor via the external ramp and stairway (a conflict for the two or three CMs with disabilities who needed to use the interior elevator that was probably ignored or overlooked).

Look at the latitude they gave Lasseter on the DCA expansion. No parade through Carsland because the parade lighting/sound towers were out of theme. Remove the plane from the front of Taste Pilots Grill and the radar tower from the front of Condor Flats because it intruded visually on Carthay Circle/BV Street (no matter that you get a huge visual mishmash standing in the hub in DL).

I find this a little precious.

When I visited Universal Orlando last year I was amazed by the HP lands. It kicked Disney's butt and I saw the result of that challenge in the quality of the MK Fantasyland expansion (including the Tangled restrooms). But I was wearing 21st century Terran clothing, paying for food and merchandise with credit cards and POS machines from my world. My family found the lack of contemporary soda drinks with lunch more an annoyance than immersive. Loved the food and the ambiance at The Leaky Cauldron, otherwise.

Did the sponsorship of Cafe Orleans by Sara Lee in 1966 kill the illusion that I was actually in New Orleans? Well, no more than the fact that the streets curve rather than follow a linear grid (as the NO City Controller found while running for Mayor after Hurricane Katrina when her web designer used a picture of NO Square instead of the actual French Quarter in her web site).

It sounds a little like the scene in Somewhere In Time when Christopher Reeve is yanked back into the present day when he discovers a modern penny in his pocket, thus ruining the alchemy that allowed him to travel back to find his great love.

I do take exception to one point: I'm not sure the negotiations with Coke are in the "tens of millions". Yes, these sponsorships are big bucks, but negotiating exceptions and/or amendments are not that unusual. What I find more troubling is the prospect that they weren't trying to modify the agreements to fit more unobtrusively into the theme. For instance, using Coke products from their entire portfolio in the beverage offerings (would it be that jarring to see a reference to Minutemaid or other brand in a drink description?) Is there no way to employ a more subtle use of a Visa logo using theme-appropriate materials?

As always, I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

TP2000

Did the sponsorship of Cafe Orleans by Sara Lee in 1966 kill the illusion that I was actually in New Orleans? Well, no more than the fact that the streets curve rather than follow a linear grid (as the NO City Controller found while running for Mayor after Hurricane Katrina when her web designer used a picture of NO Square instead of the actual French Quarter in her web site).

It was actually the Disneyland trashcan in the background that doomed Ms. Butler's run for New Orleans mayor, not the curved street. That Disneyland trashcan lit up the Internet and doomed her political career.

kimberly-w-b-web-pg.jpg

But great points on the Sara Lee and Stouffer's sponsorship of those New Orleans Square restaurants in 1966. Or Pepsi-Cola and Fritos sponsoring restaurants in Frontierland, Welches Grape Juice and Chicken-Of-The-Sea sponsoring dining in Fantasyland, Sunkist in Adventureland, etc., etc.

Old Mouseketeer

It was actually the Disneyland trashcan in the background that doomed Ms. Butler's run for New Orleans mayor, not the curved street. That Disneyland trashcan lit up the Internet and doomed her political career.

kimberly-w-b-web-pg.jpg

But great points on the Sara Lee and Stouffer's sponsorship of those New Orleans Square restaurants in 1966. Or Pepsi-Cola and Fritos sponsoring restaurants in Frontierland, Welches Grape Juice and Chicken-Of-The-Sea sponsoring dining in Fantasyland, Sunkist in Adventureland, etc., etc.

Of course, you are correct about the trash can. But the curved street and lack of curbs did nothing to help. The punchline is that her solution was to photoshop out the trash can. She finished at the back of the pack. LOL

BrianLo

Original Poster
Here's an overhead photo that's been doing the rounds on social media.
View attachment 172072

Looks like a few weeks at least. Does anyone here still have an active NearMap Trial? They seem to have cracked down even further.

I've been trying to figure out for a while if the train travelled on the Wonderbra side or the SWE side of the very first wall they put up. It was confusing when they started piling dirt on the SWE side. I think we can pretty clearly see a train-sized trench now just as the tracks swing in front of Toon Town.

This is what I'm thinking in terms of the approximate path and how the berm will be forested.

30612818086_e013b806a0_o.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom