News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

JD2000

Looks like the height restriction for the Falcon ride is 38 inches. 2 inches less than Star Tours. 😞

So less thrilling than Star Tours?

It wouldn’t surprise me. As the severity and frequency of motion on Soarin’ was reduced dramatically with the new film. It is not even a motion simulator anymore.

:(

JD2000

I see a few problems with all this:

1. How do tourists (who come from a far and need to book everything months ahead of time) plan anything when the opening date for RotR is unknown? What the butterscotch Disney!

2. How many people are going to visit the land unaware RotR is not open yet and be really upset; storming city hall?

3. No details on the reservations? Is it one time entry to the land and each ride, per day? Is everyone who buys a ticket into the park garenteed this? Or is it something else? And people could be turned away?

This is not good Disney!

Stevek

May 31st is my daughters grad night...lots of HS kids will be trying to get reservations into SW land...wonder if they will be shut out given these are grad night tix vs regular day tix (though we did pay $165, ouch).

britain

And a whole summer of bloggers/vloggers showing up. Every. Single. Day. Oh wait, they're already there every single day.

"Good morning, Fresh Baked! Michael here on our 479th Knothole Gang episode, in which I sit on this excellent bench next to the Rise of the Resistance turret, and look for any signs of soft opening.

...hmm, I think I see a cast member walking this way... oh, nope.

Well, maybe next time! Fresh baked!"

(I'd still watch it, of course.)

Weather_Lady

I see a few problems with all this:

1. How do tourists (who come from a far and need to book everything months ahead of time) plan anything when the opening date for RotR is unknown? What the butterscotch Disney!

Feeling pretty disgruntled myself! We planned our first-and-only family visit to Disneyland (flying across 3 time zones to get there) for late August, largely because we thought we could squeeze in a trip just before the kids have to go back to school, but after the SW land excitement and crowds had a little time to die down. Now we're looking at the prospect of either a half-finished land (I know there will be places to shop and drink blue milk, but for my kids, half the attractions = half the land!), or a just-opened-second-attraction that will trigger big crowds all over again. Our airfare is booked and non-refundable so there's no way to adjust now: we'll just have to make the best of it and adjust our expectations. Since we've never been to DL/CA, there will still be quite a few other things that are new to us.

britain

Feeling pretty disgruntled myself! We planned our first-and-only family visit to Disneyland (flying across 3 time zones to get there) for late August, largely because we thought we could squeeze in a trip just before the kids have to go back to school, but after the SW land excitement and crowds had a little time to die down. Now we're looking at the prospect of either a half-finished land, or a just-opened-second-attraction that will trigger big crowds all over again. Our airfare is booked and non-refundable so there's no way to adjust now: we'll just have to make the best of it and adjust our expectations. Since we've never been to DL/CA, there will still be quite a few other things that are new to us.

Either way, you will really have a terrific time. So many great things to do!

Weather_Lady

Either way, you will really have a terrific time. So many great things to do!

Thanks, I know you're right! Just having a little pity party for myself because DH and I are huge Star Wars nerds and were really excited about both attractions. If both aren't open at DL when we visit, we'll have to wait at least 3 years to get a look, as we weren't considering another trip to any Disney park (after this one) until 2022... Hopefully @Disney Irish Bruh's prediction (6/24 opening) will be spot-on. That means that by the time we get there, Rise of the Rebellion will not only be open, but will have been so for 2 months - enough time for the crowds to be less nuts.

mickEblu

Funny, but a lot of what I've been predicting is coming true.

Opening in May
No FP initially
No early previews

One thing I didn't think about was the staggered opening of the attractions. This is where I think the June 23rd date is important. I'm predicting now June 24th is when DL RotR is going to open.

I don’t remember all of your predictions but I believe you. I still think my June 21st prediction is closer because it will be actually open to the public with no reservation system required and as you say both attractions could be open by then. The only thing I knew without a doubt was that the lower tier APs would be blacked out meaning It wasn’t opening to the public on / before Memorial Day weekend or before 5/31 when they re blacked out. So really we could have just gone off the lower tier blackouts and not the Deluxe. But they both play a role of you look at the opening date and end of reservations being required.

EDIT: looks like was editing my post as you were responding @Disney Irish Bruh

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t remember all of your predictions but I believe you. I still think my June 21st prediction is closer because it will be actually open to the public with no reservation system required and as you say both attractions could be open by then.

Reservations go from May 31st - June 23rd, so if it opened the 21st like you predict it would require reservations.

This is why I'm predicting the 24th for RotR opening so there would be no reservations required.

Interesting to see that RotR has a higher height restriction than Smugglers Run. It's in the same league as Soarin, ToT and Star Tours. I checked and the Ratatouille ride in Paris (which uses the same trackless ride tech) has no height restrictions. Whatever they have planned for that "drop" at the end must be pretty wild.

mickEblu

Interesting to see that RotR has a higher height restriction than Smugglers Run. It's in the same league as Soarin, ToT and Star Tours. I checked and the Ratatouille ride in Paris (which uses the same trackless ride tech) has no height restrictions. Whatever they have planned for that "drop" at the end must be pretty wild.

I certainly hope so. Sounds like it’s the only bit of physical thrill in the whole 14 acres. It’s Star Wars, they gotta give us something exhilarating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom