News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SSG

WDW1974, who some folks put much faith in, wrote this a couple hours ago:

“Since I see a few posts above, again, let me clarify that right now the SWE is hoping to debut at DL in 12/18. WDW's earliest date I have ever heard is spring 2020.”

Less than 30 months away. Impressive if true.

Rich T

If things were run the way Walt ran things, Disneyland would have been sold to Six Flags long ago.
I gotta disagree with this. Walt Disney was all about change in the parks, shaking up the status quo, playing with new toys, telling new stories, adapting new technology and even bringing in outside elements (Skyway was not a Disney creation). I personally think he would have loved Star Wars Land. He might not have put it in that particular spot, but he would have loved it. :D

ctrlaltdel

WDW1974, who some folks put much faith in, wrote this a couple hours ago:

“Since I see a few posts above, again, let me clarify that right now the SWE is hoping to debut at DL in 12/18. WDW's earliest date I have ever heard is spring 2020.”

Less than 30 months away. Impressive if true.
Yeah, lines up with what everything we've been hearing. Though Martin said summer 2018 is a possibility. I just think that's a bridge too far. Sucks for WDW fans though. Although I'm on the East Coast, I don't think I'll be going back to WDW until at least the 50th. Luckily, work, friends, and family have me in SoCal a decent amount, so it's not out of the way to take a Disneyland trip.

Phroobar

I gotta disagree with this. Walt Disney was all about change in the parks, shaking up the status quo, playing with new toys, telling new stories, adapting new technology and even bringing in outside elements (Skyway was not a Disney creation). I personally think he would have loved Star Wars Land. He might not have put it in that particular spot, but he would have loved it. :D
Walt also believed in not charging people very much for parking or entering the park. He believed in paying employees good wages that worked there. He liked showing off his technology. However the lack of money from the park to pay for these things put a huge burden on the company and helped contribute to Disney almost being raided and sold off in pieces.

Walt would have loved SWL because of the technology it represented. It would have been his new 20K Leagues Under the Sea. He would have totally said yes to George Lucas on distribution rights.

Travel Junkie

Haven't been in this thread for a while and wanted to see how the progress is going. Not surprisingly a couple of posters are still intent on bashing people who have a different viewpoint than they do. I'll never understand wishing for other people to be hurt whether that is physical or emotional. The bullying of people needs to stop and people need to start respecting the opinions of others.

My thoughts on the concept art released yesterday is that actually it is a good thing to see SOME aspects of SWE from ROA, portions that would fit the ROA theme which the tops of the mountains will do and possibly the tops of some of the buildings may do. It is typical for lands to bleed into each other and I have always argued that it appeared SWE would break from that transition and that was one of the reasons why I disproved of the decision.

I'm sure most people visiting will know that Star Wars is back there, but you would be surprised how many people go to USO and don't know Diagon Alley is there. Having visual clues of there being more to explore is a good thing and consistent with the design aesthetics of Disneyland.

I still disprove of the decision of the placement but yesterday's concept art is a positive thing imo.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I'm glad everyone is excited and talking about the new concept art, but just a reminder again since we are veering down ye old trodden path to nowhere good...

This thread is NOT meant to discuss whether Star Wars has a place in Disneyland, the impact on ROA, your thoughts on the announcement or your opinions of the movie(s). Please instead see Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland and Rivers of America concept art Revealed for excellent ongoing discussion of those topics.

Construction photos, concept art, specific details regarding the contents of the expansion, aerials and generalized speculation about the above are all appropriate.

Edit: And I'll also give credit to @raven24 's thread since that didn't exist when I wrote the above. Wookies, Rebels, Droids, oh why? The anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread. Lots of great perspective on the problems with SWL's placement there.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Haven't been in this thread for a while and wanted to see how the progress is going. Not surprisingly a couple of posters are still intent on bashing people who have a different viewpoint than they do. I'll never understand wishing for other people to be hurt whether that is physical or emotional. The bullying of people needs to stop and people need to start respecting the opinions of others.

My thoughts on the concept art released yesterday is that actually it is a good thing to see SOME aspects of SWE from ROA, portions that would fit the ROA theme which the tops of the mountains will do and possibly the tops of some of the buildings may do. It is typical for lands to bleed into each other and I have always argued that it appeared SWE would break from that transition and that was one of the reasons why I disproved of the decision.

I'm sure most people visiting will know that Star Wars is back there, but you would be surprised how many people go to USO and don't know Diagon Alley is there. Having visual clues of there being more to explore is a good thing and consistent with the design aesthetics of Disneyland.

I still disprove of the decision of the placement but yesterday's concept art is a positive thing imo.

I think that the tops of the mountains in Star Wars Land would actually add dimension and more character to the ROA. I agree that it would add to the transition between the two lands and be a good thing.

SSG

Regarding some people’s fears of being able to see SWL features from the river, I really don’t think this will be a problem. First, the rock work is going to be pretty high. Recent work permits tell us it will be “1,200 Ln.f x 20' high of New Structural Steel For Rock Work.” And that is the frame; the rocks themselves with go higher still. And Andy Castro tweeted yesterday that a huge amount of trees are going into the area. If you look at the concept art, it shows trees rising above the rock wall. It could easily be 50 feet or more up from the river. Also, Disney has recently been running height balloon tests, which suggests they are aware of sightline issues and are taking precautions. I think some things will be visible from ROA but these will be fitting things like trees, rocks and mountains. I really don’t think we will see alien structures and spaceships when we cruise the river.

PorterRedkey

June 18th overhead shots of DL Star Wars land from Blog Mickey: Not new sorry!
Disneyland_StarWarsLand_06182016-1.jpg

EDIT: Move along old picture from June 18.

Last edited:

Phroobar

It will be weird to see the DLRR train go by Big Thunder trains so close. Since it looks like no pedestrians will be allow between DLRR & BTMRR, riders should be able to see each other there. Looks like traffic has to go through SWL in order to get to Frontiersland from Fantasyland.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Andy Castro took the latest construction image and overlaid the Miceage map on it.

CnRUDTmUIAERMkR.jpg

@21royalstreet on twitter

Looks pretty close still. The MF building is probably rotated slightly clockwise and the Fantasmic show building seems like it is slightly shifted to the left.

I'm also curious what the not altogether insignificant strip of land on the left will be for. It doesn't seem all that much with the gargantuan show buildings until you realize it's like 7 Pooh show buildings of unused space.

yookeroo

I sure hope so. I'm pretty sure that some of them will never get over this as the Star Wars invasion represents a momentous shift in the tone and character of Disneyland. Just wait until the mobs of Star Wars fans who have little interest in Walt and are unknowledgeable about sacred Disneyland traditions descend on the Resort wielding lightsabers marching into the Castle and through Frontierland to experience the new land. For the folks who consider themselves DL purists this really will be the worst thing that's ever happened at Disneyland.

eYfsxL7sNolaM.gif

I can't wait.

Me neither.

Variable

ahh, ok. So the roadway we see them maintaining down the west side will be back stage again. I wondered why they had that fenced off between the two digs. I keep forgetting they have to be able to get behind whatever show buildings they construct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom