News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Mouse3268

Because the left side is actually Hungry Bear/Splash Mountain and it would be weird to include those in the artwork. So instead they darken it with same vague looking artwork and a X-Wing flying over the space to distract you -- similar to when you'd see giant red hot air balloons in the old Disneyland concept art.

Actually that darkened left side is where the battle attraction is going to be housed. This artwork matches up really well to the map that Micechat made up a few months ago. We are really only seeing in detail from the restrooms label over to the right of the land, with the left 1/3rd blurred a bit.

ZZ71516B78.jpg

Stevek

You have to balance that stunning Star Wars Land artwork with the official Re-Imagineered Rivers Of America artwork Disney released a few months ago.

1-16-WDI-9001-full.jpg

In the new Star Wars Land artwork the Rivers of America and Railroad doesn't exist, and in the Rivers of America artwork Star Wars Land doesn't exist. Some young person with nifty computer skills could likely blend these two images together for us, but even then you have to remember Imagineers take a healthy dose of artistic liberty when they create this stuff for us.
Yeah, I definitely think we'll get a combo of both pictures. The SW artwork is meant to sell SW, not the ROA and vice versa. But Disney still sucks for absolutely destroying every great childhood memory I every had of Disneyland and the ROA and I will never, ever, ever, never, ever go back*

*until SW land opens up cuz SW. :p

ctrlaltdel

Actually that darkened left side is where the battle attraction is going to be housed. This artwork matches up really well to the map that Micechat made up a few months ago. We are really only seeing in detail from the restrooms label over to the right of the land, with the left 1/3rd blurred a bit.
I think you may be right. Comparing the concept art from April, It's pretty much the same, though this seems a little more detailed and is for Disneyland specifically. I'm guessing what would be the building farthest to west is the restrooms and part of the battle attraction show building, but the bottom left hand corner (with the Blockade Runner) may be giving a glimpse of the queue. Insiders have described it as "the mother of all queues." (paraphrasing). The queue is being discussed in the DHS thread right now, and Martin said that the it rivals FJ and The Living Seas. So yeah, that thing must be pretty massive in scale and scope.

D

Deleted member 107043

Phroobar

If they are building a section of a rebel blockade runner I hope they let us look inside the cockpit to see the posters on the walls.

Star-Wars-Model-Cockpit-Playboy-Poster.jpg

TP2000

Great find Hans, thanks! You can see lots of details and new things by exploring that huge image.

To think, in just over 15 years time WDI artwork of new lands went from junk like this (both the artwork and the reality)

Hi Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss! How did your Disney career work out for you?

dcapreview_route66left111000tm.jpg

To this type of thing, cause the amazing Cars Land wasn't quite lavish and expensive enough...
disneyland-star-wars.jpg

I tell you, back in 2001 we never could have imagined what would happen by the 2010's!

BrianLo

Original Poster
One more thing I noticed: At the extreme bottom left hand corner there is a CR90 Corvette, i.e. Princess Leia's ship from the beginning of ANH. Probably just thrown in there, unless they are overlaying Splash Mountain into another SW ride :p

Why did they darken the left side... they aren't committed yet on what's it going to look like?

The far, far left side looks like this and is the battle attraction entrance.

star-wars-land-concept-art-10.jpg

It actually looks like it is mostly cut out of the concept art. It appears they are going for the Rebel alliance outpost over by the critter country entrance. It's such a massive walk that it actually seems like the land will have two truly distinct areas (the outpost and then the city/spaceport).

I agree it seems like there will be a large cave or tunnel hiding the outpost from the main port.

Kind of wish the concept art detailed the left side as well as they are underselling the size of the land somewhat.

dweezil78

Great find Hans, thanks! You can see lots of details and new things by exploring that huge image.

To think, in just over 15 years time WDI artwork of new lands went from junk like this (both the artwork and the reality)

Hi Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss! How did your Disney career work out for you?

dcapreview_route66left111000tm.jpg

To be fair, I'm sure there is plenty of artwork for SWL that is crude and basic that the general public is never exposed to. There's varying degrees of artwork for all these things, just as there were better pieces for DCA 1.0.

sunshine_art2copyrightdisney.jpg

b45cecb2d0c87b130cf57d34ebbc3b2c.jpg

ctrlaltdel

@BrianLo Thanks for confirming. Looking at what I assume is the DHS concept art (from April), it appears to have the faint outline of the same blockade runner in the bottom left corner. Much of the concept art is the exact same, just more detail here. Any reason why they would be hiding this? As I said in the DHS thread, it seems like all the excitement outside this site is for the MF attraction (understandable, since it's a known entity), but the Battle attraction appears to be the main headliner. It feels like it will sneak up on people.

D

Deleted member 107043

Any reason why they would be hiding this?

My guess is that details will be parsed out in strategic phases based on a set communications program until the opening. That may sound routine, but this is different; it's the first time I've seen DLR concept renderings which appear to be produced in alignment with some kind of media release schedule. Communications for the reveal of DLR's SW Land is being managed more like a new theme park rather than an expansion inside an existing Disney park.

D

Deleted member 107043

seems like disney learned from what Universal did with potter... :eek:

Is that where this strategy originated? If so I'm not surprised as Universal did an outstanding job with the marketing of the WWoHP project in Florida. To be fair though the marketing for Disneyland Resort's last big expansion (Carsland/BV Street/WOC/DCA refresh) was also exceptional.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

Those people are insane trolls. They will be the first to ride everything.

I sure hope so. I'm pretty sure that some of them will never get over this as the Star Wars invasion represents a momentous shift in the tone and character of Disneyland. Just wait until the mobs of Star Wars fans who have little interest in Walt and are unknowledgeable about sacred Disneyland traditions descend on the Resort wielding lightsabers marching into the Castle and through Frontierland to experience the new land. For the folks who consider themselves DL purists this really will be the worst thing that's ever happened at Disneyland.

I can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

dweezil78

ZZ71516B78.jpg

Ah good call, I stand corrected!

Phroobar

I sure hope so. I'm pretty sure that some of them will never get over this as the Star Wars invasion represents a momentous shift in the tone and character of Disneyland. Just wait until the mobs of Star Wars fans who have little interest in Walt and are unknowledgeable about sacred Disneyland traditions descend on the Resort wielding lightsabers marching into the Castle and through Frontierland to experience the new land. For the folks who consider themselves DL purists this really will be the worst thing that's ever happened at Disneyland.

I can't wait.
Disneyland purists need to be taken down a notch and this is the perfect way to do it. I really can't stand the "Walt would never allow this crowd" or the "They are destroying Disneyland" bunch. Get over it! If things were run the way Walt ran things, Disneyland would have been sold to Six Flags long ago.

GrizzlyAdams

Disneyland purists need to be taken down a notch and this is the perfect way to do it. I really can't stand the "Walt would never allow this crowd" or the "They are destroying Disneyland" bunch. Get over it! If things were run the way Walt ran things, Disneyland would have been sold to Six Flags long ago.
Not a purist myself, but you're equally absurd. Take your hyperbole down a notch

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom