News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

flynnibus

Premium Member
Isn't it already? I know local AP's populate it mostly, but there has never been a day I've gone there and not seen some massive tour group from somewhere far away.

Difference between 'destination resort' - where you stay multiple days, and it anchors your stay or even primary reason to travel.
vs
'tourist destination' - where you come there to visit specifically for recreation, but is likely one of multiple places you visit, and usually for a short duration only (1-2 days).

The entire concept between DLR was to take Disneyland from a tourist destination to a destination resort. It's only marginally succeeded at that... and the bulk of visitors are still short duration stays. The new hotels and bundling that will bring will probably start to push the line of that more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think Disneyland can ever be a destination resort simply because southern California has so many other things to do.

WDW is not on an island... yet manages to funnel millions to it that never really go anywhere else in the area.

Truth is.. DLR is landlocked in an urban area... its hard to pitch that as a 'all inclusive vacation destination'. Variety and scope is what would keep people 'locked in' - DLR is light on that.. and its boundaries are too 'porous'.

Stevek

Difference between 'destination resort' - where you stay multiple days, and it anchors your stay or even primary reason to travel.
vs
'tourist destination' - where you come there to visit specifically for recreation, but is likely one of multiple places you visit, and usually for a short duration only (1-2 days).

The entire concept between DLR was to take Disneyland from a tourist destination to a destination resort. It's only marginally succeeded at that... and the bulk of visitors are still short duration stays. The new hotels and bundling that will bring will probably start to push the line of that more.
Yeah, I think it's a destination for some folks but not nearly to the level of WDW which you would kinda expect given there are far more theme park (including water parks) options. That's not to say you couldn't very easily make a week out of staying at the DL resort...might take 4-5 days to experience everything once SWGE opens up.

Phroobar

WDW is not on an island... yet manages to funnel millions to it that never really go anywhere else in the area.

Truth is.. DLR is landlocked in an urban area... its hard to pitch that as a 'all inclusive vacation destination'. Variety and scope is what would keep people 'locked in' - DLR is light on that.. and its boundaries are too 'porous'.
There is just more to do in SoCal than in the entire state of Florida. Our weather is better too.

VJ

I just finished Thrawn and enjoyed it. Interesting references back to Star Wars Rebels.
That's my favorite part of the new canon, everything crossing over from movies to TV to theme parks. Everything is connected. It's what Marvel tried to do with movies/TV but (in my opinion) they fell pretty short in the end.

TP2000

Have I mentioned how jealous I am that WDW has no FAA laws about flying over the theme parks out there and they can get regular shots like this? From a couple days ago, courtesy of Bioreconstruct on the Twitter... https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

(I was at Fry's Electronics a few weeks ago, and I paused in their big drone aisle as a couple of teenagers were ogling over the latest drone models. I was THISCLOSE to trying to bribe them with a few hundred bucks to fly over Star Wars Land for us.)

Yellow arrow points to the tunnel entrance into Star Wars Land from the MuppetVision Theater courtyard.
DjeFrtjV4AE_A63.jpg:large

That said, as it all starts to come together, I remain less jealous of the land use and park-integration for the DHS version.

DjeIxMbVsAAvSEL.jpg:large

brb1006

Have I mentioned how jealous I am that WDW has no FAA laws about flying over the theme parks out there and they can get regular shots like this? From a couple days ago, courtesy of Bioreconstruct on the Twitter... https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

(I was at Fry's Electronics a few weeks ago, and I paused in their big drone aisle as a couple of teenagers were ogling over the latest drone models. I was THISCLOSE to trying to bribe them with a few hundred bucks to fly over Star Wars Land for us.)

Yellow arrow points to the tunnel entrance into Star Wars Land from the MuppetVision Theater courtyard.
DjeFrtjV4AE_A63.jpg:large

That said, as it all starts to come together, I remain less jealous of the land use and park-integration for the DHS version.

DjeIxMbVsAAvSEL.jpg:large
The only area bioreconstruct can't get pictures is MK. MK,DHS, and AK are the only parks allowed resulting in good construction photos like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom