News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

Does anyone know the last time 2 E tickets opened simultaneously in a Disney park (excluding opening day) ? For Disneyland, I think you have to go back to 1959 with the Matterhorn and the Subs. So if SWL opens in 2019 that will be 60 years.

TP2000

Does anyone know the last time 2 E tickets opened simultaneously in a Disney park (excluding opening day) ? For Disneyland, I think you have to go back to 1959 with the Matterhorn and the Subs. So if SWL opens in 2019 that will be 60 years.

What a great question! I think you are right that the only time two E Tickets opened simultaneously, or even within the same year, was 1959.

You could make the argument that New Tomorrowland in 1967 was HUGE, but none of those attractions were actual E Tickets. I would classify most of them as D Tickets, although the three big rides were complimentary and required no ticket thanks to their sponsors; General Electric at Carousel of Progress, Monsanto at Inner Space, and the Bell System at CircleVision. I remember Mission To Mars charging a real D Ticket even though it was sponsored by McDonnell-Douglas, but apparently not enough of a sponsorship to cover the ticket price. PeopleMover was also a D Ticket, although it was sponsored by Goodyear.

So yeah, this will be momentous in Disneyland history. Two big E Tickets opening at the same time. Never seen since 1959!

FerretAfros

The best I can think of is the January 1975 expansion (completion, really) of the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland. It included Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress, and the WEDWAY PeopleMover (originally an E), along with the Star-Jets (a D Ticket). It's unlikely that we'll ever see a single expansion of this size again; even Epcot's multi-pavilion additions in the mid/late-80's were spaced out over several years

Depending how strict you want to be, I could also consider the September 1986/January 1987 openings of Captain EO And Star Tours to fit in this category, since they were certainly coordinated with one another. EO was publicized like an E ticket at the time, and there was a minor makeover of the land to match the two new attractions, though they both replaced existing park features (Space Stage and Adventure Thru Inner Space) which is a point against them

As far as I can recall, none of the international parks have ever opened multiple E tickets together, though there have been a variety of multi-attraction additions (HKDL mini-lands, DLP Storybook/Casey Jr, etc)

britain

One wonders if both attractions will successfully come online for the same opening date. If one lags behind the other, you could have a New Orleans Square (Pirates open, Mansion Not) situation.

...Not that the late SW attraction would open years later like Mansion did. At least these SWL attractions are intending to open simultaneously, right?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
At least these SWL attractions are intending to open simultaneously, right?

Since there has been no official word when they will be opening, we can't assume what the intention is.

However, insiders and construction watchers all put DL's SWL opening at least 6 months ahead of time around mid 2019 and then DHS's SWL at late 2019. One even claims DHS's will be open over 1 or 2 years later.

britain

right right, I'm aware of that discussion. I just wonder if Disney would consider opening the land (in either CA or FL) with only 1 of the 2 attractions ready.

Earl Sweatpants

right right, I'm aware of that discussion. I just wonder if Disney would consider opening the land (in either CA or FL) with only 1 of the 2 attractions ready.
Something tells me that they'll wait until both attractions are up and functioning to minimize one getting overloaded and suffering opening-day breakdowns and leaving people to just admire the scenery. I guess we can see how they play Avatarland's opening.

BrianLo

Original Poster

Yes. They are intending to open together. I think a lesson was learned from NFL weird phased roll out.

Perhaps a discrepancy in softs with only one would occur, but unless one attraction catches fire or pulls a RoL they'll both be 'open' on grand opening.

I use 'open' in the same way Roaring Rapids or Gringotts were open.

Professortango1

One wonders if both attractions will successfully come online for the same opening date. If one lags behind the other, you could have a New Orleans Square (Pirates open, Mansion Not) situation.

...Not that the late SW attraction would open years later like Mansion did. At least these SWL attractions are intending to open simultaneously, right?

The difference is NOS and SWL are very different. NOS is subtle land which is only trying to evoke an era, rather than a fully realized place from a franchise. With Wizarding World and SWL, these are fully immersive worlds from the franchise that are meant to be a complete package. It's much less passive as other lands are and instead requires the land as a whole to be functioning.

DDLand

I doubt it. This land is going to be mobbed by both Star Wars and Disneyland fans. Without the capacity of an attraction, and just as crucially it's queue, they'd be looking at a disaster scenario where pathways would be a single human mass and the wait with the remaining attraction just out of this world. Of course even with the second attraction that's probably going to be the correct description.

I think Disney wisely handled the makeup of the land. While some have criticized capacity, making two equally compelling E Tickets was undoubtably the right move. The pressure should be evenly dispersed. Following Cars Land's lead with Radiator Spring Racers getting enormous waits singularly was never going to work with Star Wars.

Before someone points out Battle Escape will be better, I don't doubt that. The one thing that the simulator has going for it is the romantic notions surrounding the Falcon and the idea of piloting it. Even though the discerning theme park fan may know better, nostalgia and mystique are going to be hard to overcome.

I suspect that the grand opening for the general public is going to be the sort of thing that takes all day long and you may still not experience everything.

Ismael Flores

i notice that parts of this land have large dirt covered areas. I know that they are using these areas to create large forested Berms but it makes me wonder if tucked within these areas if it wasn't a good idea to add a low cost attraction. I know spinners are not everyones favorite additions but those usually take a small footprint. something that could be hidden within a lush environment and maybe a small structure that would have added additional capacity to the land and give families with smaller children something to do if they do not meet height requirements.
Hopefully the land will have interactive shows or meet and greets that will keep those guests entertained and off the paths for a bit.

Anyone now if the Jedi academy will be moved to this new land?

Rich T

It was also wise to have 2 E-tickets so that on the inevitable day when one Star Wars ride brakes down, there will at least be the other to entertain guests.
...for a coupla minutes after a six hour wait...:D

Seriously, the thought of SW Land with one ride functioning=Get me the heck outta Dodge. I can't even imagine what it will be like to be stuck in there in a crowd when BOTH rides go down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom