News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

Yes, the plan is to move all Star Wars experiences (including JTA) to the dedicated land, which is why Star Tours is currently planned to close as it's not being moved.

It would be prudent of them to be planning the Tomorrowland overhaul now, but guess what? They're not.

Great (sarcasm). Just what I thought. Seasons of the Force Will be carrying on through the middle of the next decade.

SSG

Great (sarcasm). Just what I thought. Seasons of the Force Will be carrying on through the middle of the next decade.
The sad part is I get it from Disney's perspective. TL is always busy. Hyperspace usually has the longest wait time in DL. Star Tours and Buzz usually have big crowds. Kids are packing the subs and Autopia. There are displays, shows and several places to eat and shop, all of which are pretty well attended.

The guests are basically telling Disney that TL is OK as is, so why (from Disney's perspective) should they re-do it now?

britain

The sad part is I get it from Disney's perspective. TL is always busy. Hyperspace usually has the longest wait time in DL. Star Tours and Buzz usually have big crowds. Kids are packing the subs and Autopia. There are displays, shows and several places to eat and shop, all of which are pretty well attended.

The guests are basically telling Disney that TL is OK as is, so why (from Disney's perspective) should they re-do it now?

Well and IP-wise, if Marvel is going to have its own land at DCA, there's nothing to justify big investment in Tomorrowland. Tron didn't do it, Tomorrowland the movie didn't do it.

Better to wait another five years and see what might pop up.

D

Deleted member 107043

I can see from an operational perspective how shutting all that down at once to give the land the overhaul it needs is not something Disney is in a rush to do. I get it. However, I always go back to brand, which is something Iger understands and works so hard to cultivate. As it stands now TL is just as big of a mark on P&R's brand as this was:

1001136078_NTzbg-S.jpg

And it's only going to appear worse once SW Land comes online. They need to get to work on some TL concepts ASAP.

mickEblu

Yeah I get it too. As much as us super fans like to talk about atmosphere, cohesive theming etc., for the casual guest it's still all about rides. The atmosphere is appreciated as that is A big part of what makes the Disney difference but it's not as high on the priority list. I love the west side of the park but on my last trip, I spent more time in TL than anywhere else because of .....Star Wars. My brother in law (not an Ap and huge Star Wars fan) obviously wanted to do Hyper Space / Star Tours and check out the launch bay. So of course I prioritized FPs for those attractions.

Anyway hopefully they come around and maybe by 2030 do something really ambitious with TL.

mickEblu

For the very young and uninitiated, going into that dark dark canal/alley and seeing that skull above you, and then dropping into darkness, not knowing how far you have to go, and then being hit with a minor splash of water while everyone around you screams (really just saying "Wheee!")... yes, it's the stuff of disorienting nightmares.

Completely off topic but I was just on POTC the day before yesterday and was just really trying to take in the details....isn't that stretch from the old man in his rocking chair to the pirate ship battle the greatest stretch in any Disney attraction probably anywhere in the world? (Minus that damn Davy Jones projection) The dark canal, talking skull, drops into the caverns , the mood setting with the music, creepy pirate voice in the background, the skeleton steering the ship in the storm & all of the skeleton scenes. The pirate ship battle scene as you exit the caverns up until right before you make the turn into the village has still not been surpassed by Disney Imagineering. Extremely convincing with the fog / clouds etc.

BrianLo

Original Poster
It doesn't *necessarily* apply here, but... DL without what you call "filler" isn't DL. A, B and C ticket rides make up the grand salad and add all kinds of variety and fun. They are not just filler. At all. Unless it's Dinoland.

To clarify, when I said filler, I'm literally referring to afterthought attractions to boost capacity and appeal to a toddler demo. An X-wing spinner would be filler. Bouncy time with the Ewoks would be filler. A properly conceived transit/people mover ride wouldn't strictly be filler, but enhance the overall narrative they are trying to serve.

Bugs land is the very definition of filler, whereas the Red Car Trolley is cohesive thematic menu development.

Rich T

To clarify, when I said filler, I'm literally referring to afterthought attractions to boost capacity and appeal to a toddler demo. An X-wing spinner would be filler. Bouncy time with the Ewoks would be filler. A properly conceived transit/people mover ride wouldn't strictly be filler, but enhance the overall narrative they are trying to serve.

Bugs land is the very definition of filler, whereas the Red Car Trolley is cohesive thematic menu development.
"Bouncy Time With the Ewoks" pretty much sums up the climax of Return of the Jedi. :D I give Bug's Land a semi-pass for the details and great use of bamboo. The area's lovely and calm at night, but, yeah, it's filler.

I can't envision (or don't want to envision) DL without the Mad Tea Party, Dumbo or the Ast... um, Mad Tea Party or Dumbo. They're joyous and giddy for every demographic. I'm sure a droid-based C-ticket would fit into SW Land if it was well designed. I'm looking forward to SW Land and I'm sure it'll be great...but this promise of a complete you-are-there-oh-my-gosh-am-I-on-Earth-anymore experience is pure Disney ballyhoo. It's a Disney park land. It's going to be full of cash registers, staffed by underpaid, overworked CMs and filled to the gills with Walmartians staring at their phones wearing Poop Emoji gear. Still, I am looking forward to seeing just how much of the promised experience Disney can actually pull off. I do think it'll be spectacular.

Stevek

Completely off topic but I was just on POTC the day before yesterday and was just really trying to take in the details....isn't that stretch from the old man in his rocking chair to the pirate ship battle the greatest stretch in any Disney attraction probably anywhere in the world? (Minus that damn Davy Jones projection) The dark canal, talking skull, drops into the caverns , the mood setting with the music, creepy pirate voice in the background, the skeleton steering the ship in the storm & all of the skeleton scenes. The pirate ship battle scene as you exit the caverns up until right before you make the turn into the village has still not been surpassed by Disney Imagineering. Extremely convincing with the fog / clouds etc.
It's the greatest, most immersive, themed attraction in the world IMO...but to be fair, I haven't ridden everything in the world.

D

Deleted member 107043

"Bouncy Time With the Ewoks" pretty much sums up the climax of Return of the Jedi. :D I give Bug's Land a semi-pass for the details and great use of bamboo. The area's lovely and calm at night, but, yeah, it's filler.

I can't envision (or don't want to envision) DL without the Mad Tea Party, Dumbo or the Ast... um, Mad Tea Party or Dumbo. They're joyous and giddy for every demographic. I'm sure a droid-based C-ticket would fit into SW Land if it was well designed. I'm looking forward to SW Land and I'm sure it'll be great...but this promise of a complete you-are-there-oh-my-gosh-am-I-on-Earth-anymore experience is pure Disney ballyhoo. It's a Disney park land. It's going to be full of cash registers, staffed by underpaid, overworked CMs and filled to the gills with Walmartians staring at their phones wearing Poop Emoji gear. Still, I am looking forward to seeing just how much of the promised experience Disney can actually pull off. I do think it'll be spectacular.

By that measure then is NOS not special? Who would support planting a themed spinner there for the sake of filling in space if there were any available? I doubt anyone would.

There very well may be elements of hyperbole in Disney's marketing claims for SW Land's next generation immersiveness, and even if they deliver on their promise we can be certain future operations managers will dumb it down until it no longer resembles the land as designed, but I think it's a bit premature to flat out call it pure ballyhoo at this point.

Rich T

By that measure then is NOS not special? Who would support planting a themed spinner there for the sake of filling in space if there were any available? I doubt anyone would.

There very well may be elements of hyperbole in Disney's marketing claims for SW Land's next generation immersiveness, and even if they deliver on their promise we can be certain future operations managers will dumb it down until it no longer resembles the land as designed, but I think it's a bit premature to flat out call it pure ballyhoo at this point.
NOS is very special indeed, and of course a spinner would look as awful there as two ferris wheels would at the end of Main Street. Thanks, Michael E.

Maybe *pure* ballyhoo was a bit harsh. I think SW Land is going to be an amazing theme park experience. I'm just saying keep expectations realistic. Just as we accept Cars Land as a theme park version of the movie world (that's as close as they could get short of forcing all humans to dress as full-size automobiles before entering), SW Land is going to be the best they can do in a 2018 theme park full of selfie-taking fans. And it's going to be a blast.

DDLand

Traumatizing our kids is a rite of passage that MUST continue! My parents traumatized me and now I pay it forward by taking my 5 month old son on Pirates of the Caribbean.
You think PotC Classic is traumatizing, I sat next to a mom who brought her 3 or 4 year old daughter on Battle for the Sunken Treasure. Terrible mistake.

Heck some of those scenes fool me. Needless to say she switched between stunned awe and crying for the entire duration of the ride. Battle experience is supposed to be along the same lines as BftST, so if that's any indication small children should not go on it. It will blow their little minds.

mickEblu

You think PotC Classic is traumatizing, I sat next to a mom who brought her 3 or 4 year old daughter on Battle for the Sunken Treasure. Terrible mistake.

Heck some of those scenes fool me. Needless to say she switched between stunned awe and crying for the entire duration of the ride. Battle experience is supposed to be along the same lines as BftST, so if that's any indication small children should not go on it. It will blow their little minds.

LOL... but it's hard to feel bad for you. Many of us would love the opportunity to ride it. Looks awesome on video. How was it in person? Sans the cry baby.

Last edited:

DDLand

LOL... but I it's hard to feel bad for you. Many of us would love the opportunity to ride it. Looks awesome on video. How was it in person? Sans the cry baby.
No complaints from me, more totally feeling sorry for her. Poor girl! I don't really blame the mom either because this is a new genre. I don't think she had any idea what she was walking into!

Spectacular. Really really amazing. First time in my life that I was just amazed by technology and show. The ride is pretty much perfection. The scale of the thing is massive, yet is remarkably detailed. It adds a more clear plot to the classic Pirates experience. Hats off for the team behind it. The best films have moments that leave you saying "I did not see that coming!" This ride prompted just those sorts of thoughts.

If there's anything I would say to help a video watcher get an idea of what it's like, watch a video of Soarin' and compare it to what you remember from Soarin'. The video may have the details, but lacks the scale. That's what any Pirates video would lack. Just think massive.

The ride has made me rethink all other Disney rides, but I'd be remiss not to mention my experience on PotC Classic since. It held up remarkably well for an attraction that was designed in 1967. Battle for the Sunken Treasure takes an existing formula and moves it forward. The Classic invented it. It amazes me to think about how much they got right. So while I celebrate the new, hats off also for the original, which remains an excellent attraction in its own right. The more lighthearted last scenes remain legendary.

I think domestic fans have a lot to look forward for in the Prison Escape attraction. It should be great!

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No complaints from me, more totally feeling sorry for her. Poor girl! I don't really blame the mom either because this is a new genre. I don't think she had any idea what she was walking into!

Spectacular. Really really amazing. First time in my life that I was just amazed by technology and show. The ride is pretty much perfection. The scale of the thing is massive, yet is remarkably detailed. It adds a more clear plot to the classic Pirates experience. Hats off for the team behind it. The best films have moments that leave you saying "I did not see that coming!" This ride prompted just those sorts of thoughts.

If there's anything I would say to help a video watcher get an idea of what it's like, watch a video of Soarin' and compare it to what you remember from Soarin'. The video may have the details, but lacks the scale. That's what any Pirates video would lack. Just think massive.

The ride has made me rethink all other Disney rides, but I'd be remiss not to mention my experience on PotC Classic since. It held up remarkably well for an attraction that was designed in 1967. Battle for the Sunken Treasure takes an existing formula and moves it forward. The Classic invented it. It amazes me to think about how much they got right. So while I celebrate the new, hats off also for the original will which remains an excellent attraction in its own right. The more lighthearted last scenes remain legendary.

I think domestic fans have a lot to look forward for in the Prison Escape attraction. It should be great!

So... you're not disappointed at all the screenz?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom