News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Who doesn't love beige, abandoned, depressing movie sets? Fun for everyone!

E7EF4C54-AB9D-4FC6-BF46-C0EA9759D73C.jpeg

SuddenStorm

Die hard? Do any of those exist?

lol. He’s insinuating that if you don’t like GE that you re probably not a Star Wars fan. Notice he used the word “like.” I suspect most of us will land somewhere in the “liking GE” category when they make some adjustments and when enough time passes that we shake off the disappointment of the land not living up to its massive expectations.

I like Star Wars. I enjoy the original trilogy and was obsessed with Star Wars as a whole until about 5 years ago or so.

I love Disneyland, so the fact that their Star Wars Land in Disneyland ignores the best elements of Star Wars, and ignores the best elements of Disneyland makes the land a huge disappointment that I don't think I'll ever really get over.

mickEblu

I like Star Wars. I enjoy the original trilogy and was obsessed with Star Wars as a whole until about 5 years ago or so.

I love Disneyland, so the fact that their Star Wars Land in Disneyland ignores the best elements of Star Wars, and ignores the best elements of Disneyland makes the land a huge disappointment that I don't think I'll ever really get over.

Well said and Same here. Love Disneyland. Like Star Wars and have even gone on record saying I enjoy the Sequel trilogy more than the original trilogy. To add to this I’ll say that it’s harder to like Galaxies Edge as a Disneyland fan than it is to like it as a Non Star Wars fan.

SuddenStorm

Well said and Same here. Love Disneyland. Like Star Wars and have even gone on record saying I enjoy the Sequel trilogy more than the original trilogy. To add to this I’ll say that it’s harder to like Galaxies Edge as a Disneyland fan than it is to like it as a Non Star Wars fan.

Definitely. Not to mention, for me personally I look at GE as what killed Fantasmic, since the show probably wouldn't have been overhauled unless they were already gutting the river.

And we lost Walt era Disneyland when we lost the old Mine Train rockwork found in Big Thunder Ranch. Especially since I firmly believe they could have kept more than they did.

I really hope that the land finds its footing over the next 10 years. There's really not a ton of space backstage there for a new attraction (the ride design for Falcon is a horribly inefficient use of space) so they're gonna have to get real creative with the framework that's in place to make the land Disneyland quality.

mickEblu

Definitely. Not to mention, for me personally I look at GE as what killed Fantasmic, since the show probably wouldn't have been overhauled unless they were already gutting the river.

And we lost Walt era Disneyland when we lost the old Mine Train rockwork found in Big Thunder Ranch. Especially since I firmly believe they could have kept more than they did.

I really hope that the land finds its footing over the next 10 years. There's really not a ton of space backstage there for a new attraction (the ride design for Falcon is a horribly inefficient use of space) so they're gonna have to get real creative with the framework that's in place to make the land Disneyland quality.

I wonder if they could have kept Big Thunder Ranch/ BBQ if they weren’t hell bent on having three entrances because they thought the crowds were going to be insane?

I agree, first things first they need to add some kinetic energy. The Bantha mover being cut was a huge blow. The dinner show restaurant is necessary and I’d love to see a real thrill ride in the land.

SuddenStorm

I wonder if they could have kept Big Thunder Ranch/ BBQ if they weren’t hell bent on having three entrances because they thought the crowds were going to be insane?

I agree, first things first they need to add some kinetic energy. The Bantha mover being cut was a huge blow. The dinner show restaurant is necessary and I’d love to see a real thrill ride in the land.

More street characters, more entertainment, and better Falcon missions would really help turn the land around. More plants would help as well.

I'm curious how long until the land is 'Disneylandified' and they drop some of the overzealous shtick Imagineering was so keen on including.

mickEblu

More street characters, more entertainment, and better Falcon missions would really help turn the land around. More plants would help as well.

I'm curious how long until the land is 'Disneylandified' and they drop some of the overzealous shtick Imagineering was so keen on including.

That one planter with the droid parts lying near the middle entrance to GE makes it so painfully obvious the imagineers were taking themselves way too seriously. The whole place should be more playful like the cantina (execution aside), the dianoga water fountain and the droid at Rontos roasters. I mean the bar is so low that I walk out of the 14 acre land and that Droid from Rontos is one of the highlights for me.

SuddenStorm

That one planter with the droid parts lying near the middle entrance to GE makes it so painfully obvious the imagineers were taking themselves way too seriously. The whole place should be more playful like the cantina (execution aside), the dianoga water fountain and the droid at Rontos roasters. I mean the bar is so low that I walk out of the 14 acre land and that Droid from Rontos is one of the highlights for me.

The queue for Star Tours- with C3PO and R2D2, and ancient reskinned animatronics telling lousy jokes is far more exciting than anything you see walking around Star Wars Land.

Imagine if they had repair droids talking/joking while working on the speeders they have parked in that garage area?

Or droids spieling inside the Droid shop?

Or R2 units moving around that open area in the Falcon queue?

mickEblu

The queue for Star Tours- with C3PO and R2D2, and ancient reskinned animatronics telling lousy jokes is far more exciting than anything you see walking around Star Wars Land.

Imagine if they had repair droids talking/joking while working on the speeders they have parked in that garage area?

Exactly. Instead of GE making Star Tours feel obsolete it made me appreciate it even more. I really hope it sticks around and even survived a TL redo.

SuddenStorm

Exactly. Instead of GE making Star Tours feel obsolete it made me appreciate it even more. I really hope it sticks around and even survived a TL redo.

As it stands, Disney is able to use it to market the latest Star Wars film- basically making it a giant billboard like Magic Eye theater. I think this will help keep it protected for the next few years.

I'd just love to get the old film put in their for a limited promotion- they don't even need to put it in 3D.

mickEblu

As it stands, Disney is able to use it to market the latest Star Wars film- basically making it a giant billboard like Magic Eye theater. I think this will help keep it protected for the next few years.

I'd just love to get the old film put in their for a limited promotion- they don't even need to put it in 3D.

Me too. I think the Rex AA’s are probably the main reason it hasn’t happened. I would hate to see the best marriage of Disney and Star Wars in any of the park’s go to yesterland just because the inferior GE was built. And I’m not even a huge Star Tours fan. Ride it maybe twice a year. I really enjoyed the latest update though and would like to ride that again.

SuddenStorm

Me too. I think the Rex AA’s are probably the main reason it hasn’t happened. I would hate to see the best marriage of Disney and Star Wars in any of the park’s go to yesterland just because the inferior GE was built. And I’m not even a huge Star Tours fan. Ride it maybe twice a year. I really enjoyed the latest update though and would like to ride that again.

Even just playing the video + Rex's Dialogue with C3P0 in the chair would be better than nothing, and completely acceptable for one of their themed 'nights' they do.

I've found myself walking off of Star Tours with a 'meh' as of late, it's definitely fun but it's not a ride I'll actively seek out riding anymore.

Communicora

Premium Member
I really enjoyed the new Rise of Skywalker addition for Star Tours. Especially in comparison with Smuggler's Run.

I will never get over how they designed a ride where 2/3 of the riders have to look to the side half the time instead of at the screen. Don't get me started on how ops handles it poorly so it is less immersive than the land it is in.

Supreme Leader

I can't get over these simple and missed opportunities. Especially in the hanger portion of the Smugglers Run line. It just feels like it's empty or like somethings missing. Some animatronic droids working on random stuff would really elevate that room.

I really like the land and the expansion as a whole but I do agree that there were some clearly missed opportunities. I generally like to be more positive when looking at the problems so if this is rock bottom for the land then I guess there's no where else to go but up? Right? I hope so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom