News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Phroobar

Even Hasbro has managed to R&D an animatronic Baby Yoda (with pretty impressive movements and expressions!) in the time Disney has done..... nothing?

...Oh! But Disney did draw a cartoon Baby Yoda and print it on coffee mugs (something I could do in a matter of minutes on Zazzle.com)!

Gold star Chapek!

Looks like my Yoda Furby will get a friend.

Sharon&Susan

Looks like my Yoda Furby will get a friend.

Hasbro is reviving Tiger Electronics (God help us all!), so maybe we could get a reprint of this thing:

1582347785258.png

At least you wouldn't need to pay $200 for it to get into some Star Wars lightsaber speakeasy.

Communicora

Premium Member
Star Wars Land looks like the set of the Mandalorian. It would be a great location if Disney can drop the "immersion".
I'm rather cynical about all of this. I'm sure some of the delay is intentional. They are promoting Rise of the Resistance now and The Rise of Skywalker blu-ray comes out at the end of March so it makes marketing sense that the sequel trilogy is still the focus.

They will probably introduce the Mandalorian around the time season two begins this October.

They really need to film an episode there and have the Mandalorian go around Batuu. Baby Yoda can try a ronto wrap. Maybe Mando can have a bar fight in Oga's. They can leave debris or damage from it on a wall and it'll be a photo op.

RobWDW1971

They really need to film an episode there and have the Mandalorian go around Batuu. Baby Yoda can try a ronto wrap. Maybe Mando can have a bar fight in Oga's. They can leave debris or damage from it on a wall and it'll be a photo op.
Yeah, I guess they don't have 43 years worth of Star Wars legacy and characters to work with when they built a billion dollar land - let's have Mando punch a wall. Brilliant.

Yeah, I guess they don't have 43 years worth of Star Wars legacy and characters to work with when they built a billion dollar land - let's have Mando punch a wall. Brilliant.

Oh, I'm at the forefront of the camp that wants to see them just make the land OT. But if they're going to continue to back themselves into a corner with the point in the timeline they've chosen, there's not too much they can do to give people characters they know. I'm shocked they didn't include Batuu in the new movies at the very least. Thinking of the mask fiasco in ROTR and it speaks to the lack of synergy between WDI and Lucasfilm regarding Galaxy's Edge.

RobWDW1971

Oh, I'm at the forefront of the camp that wants to see them just make the land OT. But if they're going to continue to back themselves into a corner with the point in the timeline they've chosen, there's not too much they can do to give people characters they know.
Simple solution: give up on the locked time period and you can have prequels, OT, Disney Saga, Mandalorian, KOTR, and all of the Star Wars galaxy of characters past, present, and future.

Or just stick with Vi Moradi.

You would think that's not a tough choice, but there are people on this board who would choose the latter. Mind-boggling.

Simple solution: give up on the locked time period and you can have prequels, OT, Disney Saga, Mandalorian, KOTR, and all of the Star Wars galaxy of characters past, present, and future.

Or just stick with Vi Moradi.

You would think that's not a tough choice, but there are people on this board who would choose the latter. Mind-boggling.

Everyone wants to back Disney's idea to come up with original storytelling, and I can see the reasoning. But that's just not what people expected or even wanted. People wanted the Star Wars they know and love. And so here we are. The question is, will Disney eventually give in, or dig their heels in and try to make money the hard way? Because I can make a strong educated guess that they have financial estimates that show much improved land merchandise sales with an OT retheme. I mean, look at how fast those Tatooine spirit jerseys are being worn all over the resort now. Its been out for maybe 1 week and its probably sold better than anything they have sold for the sequel trilogy or Galaxy's Edge besides the opening day shirts.
One can argue ROTR is enough, and that may be true, but Disney isn't one to leave money on the table, especially in a scenario where it would actually IMPROVE customer satisfaction potentially. Which do they care more about, their ego or their wallet?

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Everyone wants to back Disney's idea to come up with original storytelling, and I can see the reasoning. But that's just not what people expected or even wanted. People wanted the Star Wars they know and love. And so here we are. The question is, will Disney eventually give in, or dig their heels in and try to make money the hard way? Because I can make a strong educated guess that they have financial estimates that show much improved land merchandise sales with an OT retheme. I mean, look at how fast those Tatooine spirit jerseys are being worn all over the resort now. Its been out for maybe 1 week and its probably sold better than anything they have sold for the sequel trilogy or Galaxy's Edge besides the opening day shirts.
One can argue ROTR is enough, and that may be true, but Disney isn't one to leave money on the table, especially in a scenario where it would actually IMPROVE customer satisfaction potentially.
My prediction it will be death by a thousand cuts - slowly but surely they will bleed in characters from other eras (Mando being first). Just like how the idiotic "Bright Suns" has already subsided and we are not even a year in yet.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
My prediction it will be death by a thousand cuts - slowly but surely they will bleed in characters from other eras (Mando being first). Just like how the idiotic "Bright Suns" has already subsided and we are not even a year in yet.

You should really get out more. It’s always Bright Suns in Batuu.

smooch

If they start conducting pop quizzes in the Esplanade at sunrise before you are allowed into the park, I will be in touch.

Just like the VMK quizzes in the parks for the 50th anniversary, those were basically in park pop quizzes. I remember playing that game and doing a quest in the park and getting a prize for answering everything correctly with my brothers.

SSG

A Mandelorian Meet and Greet has been confirmed by Paul Southern of Lucasfilm as coming to the parks "in the near future".

Original quotes:
The Know: "There’s no question that “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge,” which opened inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 2019, would make a great home to a real-life Mando — and perhaps even an animatronic Child. So when will these hotly-anticipated photo ops become a reality?"
Paul Southern: “So, the reality is that we feel it’s really important for our guests at the parks to be able to meet all of our key characters on a first-hand, personal basis*. And so it’s something we’re working on. We think it’s appropriate, and I think it’s something the guests at the parks can look forward to in the very near future.”

*Except for Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia and Boba Fett.

D.Silentu

I was reading about that earlier today. For those who haven't heard, this "Chewie Mode" is entered when a certain set of buttons are pressed before you activate your ride station. The result is that Chewbacca 'talks' to you throughout the ride, instead of Hondo. Sounds like a fun diversion for those who have ridden often. However, it seems to me the real news is the implication that there are several other secret modes hidden within the ride.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was reading about that earlier today. For those who haven't heard, this "Chewie Mode" is entered when a certain set of buttons are pressed before you activate your ride station. The result is that Chewbacca 'talks' to you throughout the ride, instead of Hondo. Sounds like a fun diversion for those who have ridden often. However, it seems to me the real news is the implication that there are several other secret modes hidden within the ride.

WDI did say in the run-up to the ride that certain combo of buttons do surprising things. I kept pushing all my buttons and switches in all sorts of combos and nothing special happened.

Then again, WDI said there'd be three scenarios...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom