Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Creatives Panel

Rteetz

Oh, no lightsabers are allowed out.

But the story is, and the cast members enforce this, that you shouldn’t talk about them. It’s like walking up to Diagon Alley in Harry Potter, asking to get a wand, but the response is “what’s a wand!?”
That’s a story aspect that I actually agree with. Sabers are sacred thing in the lore. They don’t want the dark side/first order knowing about the rebellion building them. Sure they maybe could pull you aside and “whisper” how to find them instead but I’m not completely against this aspect.

RobWDW1971

That’s a story aspect that I actually agree with. Sabers are sacred thing in the lore. They don’t want the dark side/first order knowing about the rebellion building them. Sure they maybe could pull you aside and “whisper” how to find them instead but I’m not completely against this aspect.

When you go, you'll be glad to find out the "sacred thing in the lore" can be purchased for $200 in a gift shop, just like in the movies!

Having anything to do with the Force hidden is so much better than the Jedi Academy where kids used to dress in Jedi robes and have the time of their lives openly learning the ways of the Force and fighting classic Star Wars villains with the help of their Jedi masters. What a stupid, non-immersive idea!

Now those same kids can go into Dok Anders and be told all of those people are dead.

Bright Suns!

Last edited:

Rteetz

So everything you like you give credit to the Imagineers and everything you don't is the executives' fault. Got it.
No that’s not the point I’m trying to make. I’m not saying WDI shouldn’t be faulted but this thread makes it seem it is solely their fault. I don’t believe that is the case. This is one of the largest park expansion projects in the history of the company.

Rteetz

When you go, you'll be glad to find out the "sacred thing in the lore" can be purchased for $200 in a gift shop, just like in the movies!

Having anything to do with the Force hidden is so much better than the Jedi Academy where kids used to dress in Jedi robes and have the time of their lives openly learning the ways of the Force and fighting classic Star Wars villains with the help of their Jedi masters. What a stupid, non-immersive idea!

Now those same kids can go into Dok Anders and be told all of those people are dead.

Bright Suns!
For a quality lightsaber that isn’t terrible. Some run much higher than that.

DDLand

This is a bit of a debate you raise here. Me and a friend once went to see the Guardians of the Galaxy Show at American Adventure. Framing the show was a backstory about how the guardians of the galaxy were helping the planet Xandar reach out to Earth, and Peter had suggested Epcot as the perfect place for the first aliens to have a cultural exchange on Earth. The Xandarian musical group begins to play some of their tunes which are terrible, and so the Guardians of the Galaxy help them play some of the classic tunes from the movie. At the end my friend said to me "it's cool they didn't just throw it out there, but that they took the time to craft a story." My response was a mix of horror and amusement at such a clunky plot. They literally could have called it The Music of Guardians of Galaxy, and just played songs from the movie. Instead they had the whole cast painted different colors and Gamora was out there doing some cringe dance moves.

Which one is actually the better story? Is it the convoluted backstory or the simple concert?

My friend leaned towards the backstory while I strongly preferred a more simple explanation. It's ridiculously easy to come up with a backstory for everything. Just look at the new Avengers Campus under construction. They happen to build it right next to an ancient temple which happens to be next to the Collector's museum who just happens to have captured the Guardians of the Galaxy. Sometimes an explanation can actually make a really bad story.

Take this no lightsaber policy because of "story reasons." Take it back just one step. What is the story of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge? While they'd love to tell you about some run down spaceport, that's not the core message this place is trying to communicate.

What then is the point of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge? The theme of this land is that any person, regardless of background, can be a hero or make a big impact on the world. I believe that's what Trowbridge said (someone can find the exact quote). That theme is the core of the land, and the primary story that is supposed to be communicated.

With that lens, does Galaxy's Edge really tell the story well? Wouldn't you want every child (and adult ;) ) swinging their lightsaber around and wearing their Jedi robes? Feeling like a hero doesn't mean hiding your lightsaber in your bag, no, it means being part of an adventure. What about the lack of any reference to the Force? They built a land but didn't include one of the best parts of Star Wars! The part of Star Wars we all want! Who hasn't been sitting in bed reaching for something just out of reach and thought "dang I wish I had the Force?" Or the beloved Jedi Academy which has been ported around the world, but was left out of the land because of timeline problems. Or what about those awesome knights wielding laser swords?

The story problems are easily resolvable. For example, what if Batuu was a place in the galaxy strong with the Force? A place where even those with limited abilities can suddenly have the power to do epic feats? Or it could be a place where the Church of the Force (appeared briefly in VII) has a monastery and helps teach the ways of the Force, and even the skills of the Lightsaber. As we are all aware, recently Star Wars showed training was quite unnecessary so who knows, we could just get "lucky" and be strong with the Force.

Rigid self imposed constrains have hampered this land's actual story.

Bright Suns!
Yeah that is pretty funny. The Kyber Crystals are also supposed to be worth their weight in Gold. But I think they go for under ten dollars at Galaxy's Edge. If it's merch accuracy is only so important.
So wouldn’t that be Iger’s and Chapeks fault not theirs? The execs are the ones who approved this. Iger has gone on record saying he told the imagineers to be more ambitious and obviously he felt this was. I think there are so many factors at play here to create this perfect storm rather than just the lands design.
We can all agree that the SWGE was created by many hands, but we also should realize a couple points too. Many of the people on the panel were integral in designing the story we are experiencing. Many people think that story is terrible. Think of blockbuster movies that have a generous budget, but face overruns in production. Certain elements get cut, and it is reviewed horribly and bombs. Is it the executives fault? Yeah, but we can also agree that the directors and producers are terrible too.

Was Bob Iger the one who accidentally installed the tracking chips into the ground incorrectly, costing 10s of millions? Was Bob Iger the one who decided to go for the small cantina? Was Bob Iger the one who came up with all these crazy policies? He might have had a hand, but when creatives have 1 billion dollars and screw up this bad the problems are bigger than an executive.

Just because it was created by WDI does not mean it's good. In fact, recent memory shows they've had a middling track record at best...

Rteetz

Was Bob Iger the one who accidentally installed the tracking chips into the ground incorrectly, costing 10s of millions? Was Bob Iger the one who decided to go for the small cantina? Was Bob Iger the one who came up with all these crazy policies? He might have had a hand, but when creatives have 1 billion dollars and screw up this bad the problems are bigger than an executive.
No but neither was Scott Trowbridge.

Ravenclaw78

It would be far superior if this thread sticks to the issue of incompetency rather than the easier jump-to-political issue. The incompetency is driven in part by ideological fervor, but it's incompetency nonetheless.
It would be easier for this thread not to jump to politics if your original post, this response, and nearly everything else you've ever posted, wasn't so saturated with your own ideological fervor that it oozes out of every word...

Can you show us on the teddy bear where diversity touched you?

djkidkaz

The land was rushed open because the people in power assumed that its Star Wars and why not capitalize as quickly as possible on getting the parks jam packed with guests who are spending. It’s a quick way to increase those balance sheets and revenues for the quarter. You can tell they expected huge crowds since they blocked out everyone with a pass figuring it will be so popular people even with a pass will pay an additional $100 just to enter cause it’s Star Wars. I think the hope was after DL failed to bring the crowds the thought was “oh well maybe everyone is just waiting to go to the WDW version since that is more of our vacation destination guests anyways.

Did any of us think the lands would not bring massive crowds? Of course not. We were under the same thought and understanding as the corporate people. Open it and it will be a massive hit cause it’s Star Wars.

So what happened? In my opinion, the land is not Star Wars to me. It’s a bunch of space stuff that I have no connection to. Honestly if you removed the millennium falcon you could call this an expansion to Pandora. There is no Star Wars music that I know and remember playing as I walk through the area. Who cares if John Williams created a new theme for the land, I have no connection to it. I want to hear the music I know! I want to hear the sounds from the movies, tie fighters flying overhead which are very distinct sounding. I don’t need to see the ship just use that tie fighter sound not generic ship noises like they have now. Why isn’t there more life in the area? Having Chewbacca, storm troopers and Rey walk around is great but you need more. Really? I’m in Star Wars and there are two storm troopers and just Chewbacca walking in the land? And the ride to me is pretty boring. The best part is walking inside the cockpit before the ride even starts. But again, why am I not flying to places I know? Instead I’m chasing a train around and collecting cylinders.

In my opinion there are a bunch of small tweaks that can be made to fix this land:

Add Star Wars background music all over.

Add more characters walking around.

Have the millennium falcon ride be closer to star tours where you go to places from the movies.

Add more life to all of the area. The ships should have more lights blinking, steam constantly coming from them, wires that are even just slightly shaking to simulate air passing through them into the ships. Have the robots be more than static statues. Make them wobble a bit, and have chatter.

I don’t know, my only hope is that someone gives a mandate to “fix it and fix it fast!”. Disney does have a ton of money on the table here with this land, it’s just going to come down to are they willing to spend even more to fix the issues and collect all that cash??

trainplane3

I made the mistake of linking to this thread on twitter because I found it interesting. The responses have been that the two posts are misogynistic and right winged. Am I missing something?
Twitter's extra twitchy about everything. You just need to over analyze stuff to the point where your eyes cross, see static, and take everything to the most extreme offensive degree possibly then you'll know what it's like to Twitter like a pro.

I did see the responses you mentioned. I didn't read the first post that deeply though.

TalkingHead

Twitter's extra twitchy about everything. You just need to over analyze stuff to the point where your eyes cross, see static, and take everything to the most extreme offensive degree possibly then you'll know what it's like to Twitter like a pro.

I did see the responses you mentioned. I didn't read the first post that deeply though.

Also — very important Twitterese — strip every thought of nuance and describe anything you don’t like as “toxic.”

lazyboy97o

The story problems are easily resolvable. For example, what if Batuu was a place in the galaxy strong with the Force? A place where even those with limited abilities can suddenly have the power to do epic feats? Or it could be a place where the Church of the Force (appeared briefly in VII) has a monastery and helps teach the ways of the Force, and even the skills of the Lightsaber. As we are all aware, recently Star Wars showed training was quite unnecessary so who knows, we could just get "lucky" and be strong with the Force.
You’re actually falling into the same problem. As Universal learned, people will just play along and assume the role of one with powers even if the land does not allow them to actually cast spells or use the Force. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has lots of references to guests being muggles because Universal could not figure out how to visibly make people magical. People didn’t care, they wanted to be wizards and they just ignored the ridiculous open house story. The attractions developed since then all just assume the guests are wizards. The Outer Rim being firmly suppressed contradicts 9 of the 10 Star Wars movies released to date. Letting people do as they please and flaunting the First Order, is More in line with the larger story of Star Wars than cowardice and hiding.

Think of blockbuster movies that have a generous budget, but face overruns in production. Certain elements get cut, and it is reviewed horribly and bombs. Is it the executives fault? Yeah, but we can also agree that the directors and producers are terrible too.
In this case it is Walt Disney Imagineering‘s fault for the focus of the land being items that anyone with a bit of sense knew was going to be cut. That it happened before opening is surprising, but you don’t anchor an entire land around stuff the park can just cut on a whim.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
It would be easier for this thread not to jump to politics if your original post, this response, and nearly everything else you've ever posted, wasn't so saturated with your own ideological fervor that it oozes out of every word...

Can you show us on the teddy bear where diversity touched you?

I'm a big supporter of diversity.

DDLand

You’re actually falling into the same problem. As Universal learned, people will just play along and assume the role of one with powers even if the land does not allow them to actually cast spells or use the Force. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has lots of references to guests being muggles because Universal could not figure out how to visibly make people magical. People didn’t care, they wanted to be wizards and they just ignored the ridiculous open house story. The attractions developed since then all just assume the guests are wizards. The Outer Rim being firmly suppressed contradicts 9 of the 10 Star Wars movies released to date. Letting people do as they please and flaunting the First Order, is More in line with the larger story of Star Wars than cowardice and hiding.
I had completely forgotten about Potter's muggles story. That may be the best critique of the decade's most successful theme park land. It's pretty foundational stuff that has proven extraneous. The same general story is now in Frozen Ever After, Pandora, and even Toy Story Land. Tokyo Disney Sea's new Soaring has an elaborate back story similar in many ways to this approach.* It's a story that is getting old and repetitive... Especially when you experience that story multiple times in a day. GotG will likely follow the same plot, and actually I think Tron may follow that formula too. Very interesting.

*The premise is that you enter a museum dedicated to this Renaissance era woman who focused on airplanes. Her spirit returns and she has figured out the secret to flight, and she invites you to fly on her new machine to see the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom