News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SuddenStorm

What are the guesses on AA's in Rise of the Resistance? I'm kinda thinking it's gonna be mostly if not entirely screens on physical sets.

Btw I love how they say "come face to face with Kylo Ren" as if that's supposed to be something cool or exciting.

Yeah, it's too bad star Wars doesn't have a plethora of characters that'd be interesting to see- aliens, Jedi, sith, robots, vehicles. They didn't have much to use so they had to go with Kylo Ren.

BrianLo

Original Poster
What are the guesses on AA's in Rise of the Resistance? I'm kinda thinking it's gonna be mostly if not entirely screens on physical sets.

Btw I love how they say "come face to face with Kylo Ren" as if that's supposed to be something cool or exciting.

A long ago rumour was the rathtar. But that’s long ago. There will definitely be a fleet of storm trooper AA’s. I think we’ll get some droid action and likely an interesting alien.

This also seems to confirm a Kylo AA.

I think it will be a Healthy mix from everything we’ve heard (more Shanghai Pirates than Ratatouille - but not Mystic Manor).

George Lucas on a Bench

I went on Transformers for the first time a few months ago, although apparently it's been there on previous trips. I was baffled by the fact that it was just a poorly redressed Spider-Man with a bunch of crap exploding on screens and water being squirted on me for approximately the 478th time at Universal Orlando resort. Even more baffling was the ending where a cyborg thanked me for saving the universe or something. No one in the car did anything but pass by screens.

They do this a lot on these rides, presumably to make the riders feel better about their pathetic lives as they've been duped into paying thousands of dollars to watch TV screens with a bunch of stinky foreigners in a spinning car and get squirted by water. The only time we really do save the day and earn the thanks is the E.T. ride, which coincidentally does not squirt us with water or feature screens.

bshah365

The mountain ranges and land look so lush and green in all the concept art photos.. Although the land isn't finished in DL, the scaffolding has been removed from a good chunk of the spires... and.. well.. am I the only one who thinks everything looks very bland? I know the color scheme of the rocks are supposed to be different between coasts.. but I hope the vegetation and lush plants stay consistent. I would hate for our land to get the dry/desert aesthetic.

britain

Part of me thinks that in, say, 10 years they might do an overlay where Kylo and FO troopers are redressed as Vader and Imperial troopers. Might be a nice tie-in for some original trilogy era film or something (heaven knows what they’ll be doing with the franchise 10 years from now).

Or maybe make it a Halloween seasonal version with Darth Vader.

Having said that, I don’t get the Kylo hate. I think Prince Zuko... uh... I mean Kylo Ren is the most interesting character in the new trilogy.

Old Mouseketeer

The mountain ranges and land look so lush and green in all the concept art photos.. Although the land isn't finished in DL, the scaffolding has been removed from a good chunk of the spires... and.. well.. am I the only one who thinks everything looks very bland? I know the color scheme of the rocks are supposed to be different between coasts.. but I hope the vegetation and lush plants stay consistent. I would hate for our land to get the dry/desert aesthetic.

I think one of the decisions here was to mainly use the "lived-in" look that was heralded in Episode IV in 1977 and restrict the clean, sanitized look of the Empire/Resistance to inside a ride that could be controlled. Look how difficult it is to maintain the interior queue of Space Mountain--anything guests can touch gets smudged, broken, dented, abused, etc. The trackless personnel carriers in Resistance can safely keep guests grubby little hands and feet off the pristine black shiny surfaces (not that that will be easy to maintain compared to the dust-laden scenery in Pirates and Mansion--remember, that's not all fake dust).

I'm afraid they used lots of green and lush vegetation in the mountains (at least partially) to fill the background of the concepts and simulations... Earlier and less realistic concept arts also had less vegetation in the mountains. I think we would've been able to see more green paint on the mountains if they were going for that amount of plants. Some of the bigger plants in the simulation might be harder to pull of without ruining the forced perspective of the mountains too. But I, someone who's not really familiar with the movies, agree that it would add some dynamic and depth to the land.

HauntedMansionFLA

Iger recently said they were working on how to handle the crowds. It's still going to be a summer madhouse when it opens, but they're certainly aware of this and planning for it. I think capacity closures are going to be a real thing Disneyland (and its guests) are going to have to struggle with in the short term. That's one piece of the puzzle, but I'd be looking at other ways to disperse crowds, such as special events at California Adventure (opening a Pixar Pier Carousel ain't gonna do it, but I'd expect some new ways of luring Disneyland guests to its sister park...parades, refurbishments, etc...)
Working on how to handle crowds? Is the MagicBands / FastPass+ coming to DLR? Yep;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom