News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Ismael Flores

Who said only guests of the 3 hotels get any sort of guaranteed access? They have to play the lottery just like any APer or local day tripper.

the information they released said that all disney hotel guests will be given a reservation time. one per registered guest.
soon after that was announced all hotel rooms were booked for the night that SWGE opens. looks like die hard star wars fans and bloggers splurged on hotel room cost to get the reservation.
hopefully any cancellations will also get their reservation revoked unless they already thought about that and will issue them upon check in.

DanielBB8

Hey Dude, have you ever heard of CC verification or ID verification upon reservation. Which is then used to claim the reservation once onsite, which then requires you to use the ticket to claim it. Its not a fantasy world, its how things are done in the real world. Now we'll see if Disney actually does it.

Also just because they don't do it now, won't mean they won't do it in this case. This is a unique situation, we'll have to wait and see if it turns out how I think it will.
How things are done in the real work is they would just verify identification of the reservation only. They would allow you to enter the park regardless. They wouldn't "require you to use the ticket to claim it" if it wasn't part of the original transaction.

If they do it in this case, it's means you're psychic to get it just exactly right since I have never seen such a procedure ever.

Ismael Flores

i would think that a reservation will require that you enter the persons full name. it would be time consuming but effective if an ID is then checked when your reservation is scanned at the lands entry point.

pretty much what AMC stubs does. you reserve tour movie ticket in app and to be sure thar you are not sharing your account they verify name of digital ticket to your ID upon entering the theater

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How things are done in the real work is they would just verify identification of the reservation only. They would allow you to enter the park regardless. They wouldn't "require you to use the ticket to claim it" if it wasn't part of the original transaction.

If they do it in this case, it's means you're psychic to get it just exactly right since I have never seen such a procedure ever.

Its not me being psychic, its a common practice outside of Disney. I've had to use my ID or CC to reserve tickets to shows or sporting events all the time. You then present the same upon claiming the ticket. Some have even eliminated the ticket all together and gone digital and require an app, like the NFL. All in the name of preventing scalpers. I'm just thinking Disney will do the same, but then also require you to actually put the reservation onto your ticket or in the app just like a FP, so they can scan it upon entry to the land.

Now again we'll see if Disney does this or something completely different. But its not a hard stretch of the imagination to see how they can prevent scalpers. The only question is will they do it or not, I'm thinking they will.

There will be two phases to the reservation system at Disneyland.

Phase one (May 31st - June 23rd) is a reservation system that allows each hotel resort guest to get one window reservation for each person staying in the room to enter Galaxy’s Edge once during their length of stay. Window timeslots, number of people staying in the three resort hotels, length of stays as well as max capacity of Galaxy’s Edge are known numbers so they can calculate how many reservations will be available to those not staying on property. This information is fed into their reservation system backend so that the web interface can set the maximum number of external reservations per window timeslot allowed. What is being determined is how the ticket info will be linked to your reservation - ie if you have annual pass or ticket that is valid for the day you want your window timeslot then enter in your AP/ticket number as part of making your reservation...

Phase two (June 24th and beyond) will work just like Fastpass and Maxpass work today. You enter the park with your ticket so they know you are in-park. You then make a reservation using your admission ticket at a scanner in the park that will give you a ”window” to access Galaxy’s Edge. This window will advance to later timeslot blocks as each window fills up. To enter the land, you scan your ticket used to reserve your window at the entrance of the land. What hasn’t been decided is whether you will be able to use the app to reserve your window once you’ve entered the park or if they will use only the paper reservation approach - this is exactly how fastpass works today - and because you use your admission ticket you implicitly tie your reservation to your admission. Future approach could allow both touchscreen selection (non app) and in-app selection of a particular window for the day. This is similar to what Universal did for Potter in Hollywood to restrict number of land entrants each timeslot and a variant of the fastpass+ system in use for WDW.

TP2000

Phase one (May 31st - June 23rd) is a reservation system that allows each hotel resort guest to get one window reservation for each person staying in the room to enter Galaxy’s Edge once during their length of stay. Window timeslots, number of people staying in the three resort hotels, length of stays as well as max capacity of Galaxy’s Edge are known numbers so they can calculate how many reservations will be available to those not staying on property. This information is fed into their reservation system backend so that the web interface can set the maximum number of external reservations per window timeslot allowed. What is being determined is how the ticket info will be linked to your reservation - ie if you have annual pass or ticket that is valid for the day you want your window timeslot then enter in your AP/ticket number as part of making your reservation...

Phase two (June 24th and beyond) will work just like Fastpass and Maxpass work today. You enter the park with your ticket so they know you are in-park. You then make a reservation using your admission ticket at a scanner in the park that will give you a ”window” to access Galaxy’s Edge. This window will advance to later timeslot blocks as each window fills up. To enter the land, you scan your ticket used to reserve your window at the entrance of the land. What hasn’t been decided is whether you will be able to use the app to reserve your window once you’ve entered the park or if they will use only the paper reservation approach - this is exactly how fastpass works today - and because you use your admission ticket you implicitly tie your reservation to your admission. Future approach could allow both touchscreen selection (non app) and in-app selection of a particular window for the day. This is similar to what Universal did for Potter in Hollywood to restrict number of land entrants each timeslot and a variant of the fastpass+ system in use for WDW.

Thank you for the information, but... This sounds like an absolute nightmare. :eek:

Are they really expecting the average tourist family from Boise or Sydney or Mexico City to know all this before they arrive at the ticket booths?

britain

Thank you for the information, but... This sounds like an absolute nightmare. :eek:

Are they really expecting the average tourist family from Boise or Sydney or Mexico City to know all this before they arrive at the ticket booths?

No but if they put Star Wars scanning kiosks all along the entry turnstiles then folks won’t be denied knowledge/opportunity.

mickEblu

How will they get people to leave the land? What if you have one of the first two windows and just decide to stay in SWL all day? When you use an FP for an attraction, you have to exit when the ride is over. How do you get people to leave a land? I mean technically they could make your ticket invalid for the attractions but other than that I’m not sure what they can do

Macro

How will they get people to leave the land? What if you have one of the first two windows and just decide to stay in SWL all day? When you use an FP for an attraction, you have to exit when the ride is over. How do you get people to leave a land? I mean technically they could make your ticket invalid for the attractions but other than that I’m not sure what they can do
I won a time slot when they were testing CarsLand and they used a different colored wristband for each time slot. I suppose you could try to game that one by pulling a sleeve over the wrist band but the system worked for the most part. They could do something like that for phase one.

mickEblu

I won a time slot when they were testing CarsLand and they used a different colored wristband for each time slot. I suppose you could try to game that one by pulling a sleeve over the wrist band but the system worked for the most part. They could do something like that for phase one.

Wow totally didn’t think of a simple solution like that. That could would work in theory but is it something that the CMs could actually execute? Telling the guy who just stood in line for 2 hours to get a seat at the cantina that their time is up?

Macro

Wow totally didn’t think of a simple solution like that. That could would work in theory but is it something that the CMs could actually execute? Telling the guy who just stood in line for 2 hours to get a seat at the cantina that their time is up?
There were some people walking around in Cars Land with the previous time slot's color when I was there. I don't know how strict the CMs were about enforcing it. I think most people (myself included) just left at the appropriate time since the color was clearly visible.

You're not supposed to line jump but I've rarely seen CMs enforce that one when they see it happen. It can't be fun for CMs to try to enforce that sort of thing.

TP2000

No but if they put Star Wars scanning kiosks all along the entry turnstiles then folks won’t be denied knowledge/opportunity.

Okay, let's use this as a fun jumping off point.

There will be no line of Star Wars Land scanning kiosks installed at the entry turnstiles. Simple fact.

This past January I lost a very dear friend. I've had a long, reflective, rainy winter. It's now April and it was 80 degrees today, the trees and garden are in full bloom. I'm now enjoying my second dry martini of the evening made with The Botanist (a FABULOUS Scottish gin that I highly recommend, it's spendy but oh so worth it!), and I'm ready to break out of my winter doldrums.

This entire "We know better than you, we can make up our own rules, and you have to make a reservation on our sketchy App on your iPhone to enter Star Wars Land after you buy your Disneyland ticket" thing is a complete disaster in the making. Read that sentence again and remember my words.

This is the type of weird concept that sounds great in a TDA conference room at the end of the long meeting when the oxygen has drained out of the room and everyone just wants to go home. It's a decision made by people totally disengaged from their core product who think all their customers are like The Borg and share a common mind and can be taught how to behave after they buy the product. That's a disaster when you have to teach 50,000 different customers per day how to behave, instead of catering your product to what the customer wants and expects. This is Business 101, but the conference room in TDA that hatched this plan forgot all of that apparently.

This June when they are dealing with lots of AP's and obsessed Star Wars fans, this will be manageable but messy. But on June 24th, when the lower level AP's are blocked out for the summer and the switch flips and the place is flooded with casual tourists from Seattle and Sydney and Salt Lake and Seoul and San Jose, this land reservation concept is a recipe for customer service disaster. I predict an embarrassing mess for TDA and Burbank. The Resistance ride won't even open until later this year, and so they are going to try and open this new land with complicated reservations that can only host a minority of paying customers per day?!? Yikes.

This is going to get really bad before it gets better. At least I have a martini to enjoy.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

There will be no line of Star Wars Land scanning kiosks installed at the entry turnstiles. Simple fact.

This past January I lost a very dear friend. I've had a long, reflective, rainy winter. It's now April and it was 80 degrees today, the trees and garden are in full bloom. I'm now enjoying my second dry martini of the evening made with The Botanist (a FABULOUS Scottish gin that I highly recommend, it's spendy but oh so worth it!), and I'm ready to break out of my winter doldrums.

This entire "We know better than you, we can make up our own rules, and you have to make a reservation on our sketchy App on your iPhone to enter Star Wars Land after you buy your Disneyland ticket" thing is a complete disaster in the making. Read that sentence again and remember my words.

This is the type of weird concept that sounds great in a TDA conference room at the end of the long meeting when the oxygen has drained out of the room and everyone just wants to go home. It's a decision made by people totally disengaged from their core product who think all their customers are like The Borg and share a common mind and can be taught how to behave after they buy the product. That's a disaster when you have to teach 50,000 different customers per day how to behave, instead of catering your product to what the customer wants and expects. This is Business 101, but the conference room in TDA that hatched this plan forgot all of that apparently.

This June when they are dealing with lots of AP's and obsessed Star Wars fans, this will be manageable but messy. But on June 24th, when the lower level AP's are blocked out for the summer and the switch flips and the place is flooded with casual tourists from Seattle and Sydney and Salt Lake and Seoul and San Jose, this land reservation concept is a recipe for customer service disaster. I predict an embarrassing mess for TDA and Burbank. The Resistance ride won't even open until later this year, and so they are going to try and open this new land with complicated reservations that can only host a minority of paying customers per day?!? Yikes.

This is going to get really bad before it gets better. At least I have a martini to enjoy.

Personally while I agree with the poster on the pre-June 24th reservation activities, I don't agree or believe the rest of that post at this point.

There won't be a reservation required to get into the land June 24th and beyond.

In fact Disney confirms this here:
Beginning June 24, 2019, a separate reservation for the land will no longer be required.

So its something, unless your nice neighbor lady has stated otherwise, that shouldn't really be worried about.

So you don't have to worry about that casual tourist from Seattle, Sydney, Salt Lake, Seoul and San Jose (you must like places that start with S) having to make a reservation June 24th and beyond. They'll have other things to worry about, but having to make a reservation to get into the land won't be one of them.

fctiger

It's literally only for the first three weeks of June. I think you're making a bigger deal than it is. Yes its basically an experiment but look at it the OTHER way. Disney could've just called it a soft opening and charged everyone $100-300 to enter the land and stuffed as many people as they wanted for the first three weeks instead and obviously made a killing. Everyone thought that was coming but to their credit they didn't do that. Now they may still do something like that before May 31st but they are giving people who are real fans to see it first and to do it without a seven hour wait to ride MF or four hour wait to get a booth at the Cantina.

Chances are thats going to happen come June 24th and then people will be complaining how its a total zoo. So no matter WHAT they do people will complain about it. But if you think the reservation system sucks, just wait it out a few weeks and take your chances with the mob. Its not going anywhere for a few decades anyway.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It’s not only for hotel guests. But being a guest in one of their 3 hotels is the only way to guarantee you will get in for that first month. At least until the rest of the specifics are released.
Incorrect. If you got to Disney's site it clearly says you get a reservation but even then that is not a guarantee you will get in the land. You are guaranteed a reservation. Not entry to the land for sure

The Pho

Incorrect. If you got to Disney's site it clearly says you get a reservation but even then that is not a guarantee you will get in the land. You are guaranteed a reservation. Not entry to the land for sure
Alright in that case I can’t wait to see the reactions of all those people that manage to get reservations and are still turned away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom