News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

George Lucas on a Bench

It's pretty exciting the mercenaries are being made a part of Star War land. They were awesome!

311.jpg

Sharon&Susan

But hey, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will ruin Disneyland forever because... Kathleen Kennedy or something.
You mean the Kathleen Kennedy who thought the Muppets were Star Wars characters and directed a deleted scene for Rogue One where they buy “The Force is Female” shirts, two facts I totally didn’t make up. If your wanting to make a daily Star Wars news channel, you need some conspiracy theories and false facts to milk that clickbait money.

Incomudro

It would be hilarious and kind of awesome if SWGE--in the long run--ends up being Discovery Bay's sneaky back-door way of finally becoming a reality at Disneyland. :D

In all seriousness, the generic (in a good way), non-specific design of the whole Galaxy's Edge environment is the single smartest aspect of the whole project. It's completely adaptable to how well or poorly the SW franchise is doing for Disney at the time. Hit entries in the film franchise can be instantly incorporated, and flop movies can be ignored as the whole land goes retro to the original trilogy. And then, if SW ever really wears out its welcome... Discovery Bay at last! :D
This was definitely part of the decision process.

Incomudro

No, all I said regarding the Falcon ride is that if you do poorly, a "price" will be put on your head, which will impact your experience elsewhere in Galaxy's Edge. It extends the story and experience the attraction provides to outside the attraction.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing.

I think you should replace "will" be put on your head with "may" be put on your head.
It's highly unlikely that character actors (as if there will be enough of them) will persue every rider who pilots the Falcon poorly.
To whatever extent there are actors to do such things, they're human, and this is Disney.
They are certainly not going to make guests feel threatened.
There is likely to be some magic band, or extra fee related opt in feature for such things as well.

Incomudro

A lot of people here (and elsewhere) are falling hook, line and sinker for all the typically exaggerated Disney PR promises about interactivity, immersion, etc.

It’s going to be a well done theme park land, but it’s still going to be a theme park land. It will be stuffed to the gills with park guests wearing silly t-shirts and taking selfies. And vlogging. And yelling af their kids. And waiting in line while ordeing lunch on their phone snd playing Fortnite.

There will be a few actors (over)acting and interactive details here and there, ignored by 90% of the guests.

I really, really, really don’t think there’s any need to be concerned about it being too dark or edgy or non-family-oriented. This not a premium boutique experience. This is park entertainment for the masses based on a big, silly space opera that has always been aimed primarily at kids. It will be less interactive and less dark than your average local Ren Fair.

And it’s going to rock. Just don’t expect the impossible.

Exactly.
Think about how the Storm Troopers interact with guests at Hollywood Studios.
Now move them over to Black Spire Outpost, and add a few more characters who perform similar functions.

Phroobar

I think you should replace "will" be put on your head with "may" be put on your head.
It's highly unlikely that character actors (as if there will be enough of them) will persue every rider who pilots the Falcon poorly.
To whatever extent there are actors to do such things, they're human, and this is Disney.
They are certainly not going to make guests feel threatened.
There is likely to be some magic band, or extra fee related opt in feature for such things as well.
So why can't you have an AA character at the exit of the ride yelling at you how poorly you fly? Maybe even a scoreboard?

BrianLo

Original Poster
Galaxy's Edge is breaking this. If you don't fly the Falcon well, a "price" will be put on your head. Now, there are consequences for how you do on an attraction. The perceived danger that one would find on an attraction is now incorporated into the land with bounty hunters, smugglers, etc.

A lot of people here (and elsewhere) are falling hook, line and sinker for all the typically exaggerated Disney PR promises about interactivity, immersion, etc.

I think Rich is on it 100%. I don't understand why everyone is under the presumption that literally every guest traversing through the land would be enrolled in this LARP/RPG thing. It's 100% going to require enrolment. There is no Magic Band in Disneyland, you are going to need to physically purchase or acquire something in order for this to even be something that happens to you. Outside of someone bugging you as you exit the attraction (which can still be considered the attraction), how else would they be able to tie your attraction performance to you?

I think a shinier version of Legends of Frontierland, with some built in infrastructure from the get go, is what this is going to be.

Meaning the useless Chinese tourist family who haplessly press buttons are not going to even understand how to enrol, let alone proceed to be chased down by storm troopers on spec.

Last edited:

TP2000

It’s going to be a well done theme park land, but it’s still going to be a theme park land. It will be stuffed to the gills with park guests wearing silly t-shirts and taking selfies. And vlogging. And yelling at their kids. And waiting in line while ordering lunch on their phone and playing Fortnite.

There will be a few actors (over)acting and interactive details here and there, ignored by 90% of the guests.

I really, really, really don’t think there’s any need to be concerned about it being too dark or edgy or non-family-oriented. This not a premium boutique experience. This is park entertainment for the masses based on a big, silly space opera that has always been aimed primarily at kids. It will be less interactive and less dark than your average local Ren Fair.

And it’s going to rock. Just don’t expect the impossible.

Bingo! No... BINGO!

And as an old guy AP who has seen Disneyland debut and dump a lot of extra goodies over the years, I guarantee you that whatever they trot out and requires labor costs to be "Interactive!" and "Immersive!" in June, 2019 will be radically scaled back by January, 2020 and then disappear entirely with the new fiscal year in October, 2020.

I don't care how many celebrity Imagineers they get to read from a Teleprompter at D23 Expo, or how many breathless blog posts some cubicle dweller with a Masters in Communications belches out for the Parks Blog before their next Starbucks run, all this stuff won't survive the test of time. Heck, not even time, it won't survive the next fiscal year or two after June, 2019.

Or do we want to talk about how Red the Pirate was supposed to be posing for photos and while we wait in the Pirates queue telling us all about her rollicking pirate life and how all of the other pirates totally respect her and the diversity she brings to the team, but no one has seen her since Labor Day? She only lasted 60 days. All this Star Wars interactivity will last until the end of Fiscal Year 2020 at best, but around six months more likely (Christmas '19).

Hello. Who are you supposed to be again? :confused:
6_2018_dl0225-1529524844-4042.jpg

Last edited:

Phroobar

I think Rich is on it 100%. I don't understand why everyone is under the presumption that literally every guest traversing through the land would be enrolled in this LARP/RPG thing. It's 100% going to require enrolment. There is no Magic Band in Disneyland, you are going to need to physically purchase or acquire something in order for this to even be something that happens to you. Outside of someone bugging you as you exit the attraction (which can still be considered the attraction), how else would they be able to tie your attraction performance to you?

I think a shinier version of Legends of Frontierland, with some built in infrastructure from the get go, is what this is going to be.

Meaning the useless Chinese tourist family who haplessly press buttons are not going to even understand how to enrol, let alone proceed to be chased down by storm troopers on spec.
I would pay big money to see a Chinese tour group being chased down by stormtroopers.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Bingo! No... BINGO!

And as an old guy AP who has seen Disneyland debut and dump a lot of extra goodies over the years, I guarantee you that whatever they trot out and requires labor costs to be "Interactive!" and "Immersive!" in June, 2019 will be radically scaled back by January, 2020 and then disappear entirely with the new fiscal year in October, 2020.

I don't care how many celebrity Imagineers they get to read from a Teleprompter at D23 Expo, or how many breathless blog posts some cubicle dweller with a Masters in Communications belches out for the Parks Blog before their next Starbucks run, all this stuff won't survive the test of time. Heck, not even time, it won't survive the next fiscal year or two after June, 2019.

Or do we want to talk about how Red the Pirate was supposed to be posing for photos and while we wait in the Pirates queue telling us all about her rollicking pirate life and how all of the other pirates totally respect her and the diversity she brings to the team, but no one has seen her since Labor Day? She only lasted 60 days. All this Star Wars interactivity will last until the end of Fiscal Year 2020 at best, but around six months more likely (Christmas '19).

Hello. Who are you supposed to be again? :confused:
6_2018_dl0225-1529524844-4042.jpg
They're releasing a Funko POP of her character on October 27th, so I suspect we'll see her again. Actually, if memory serves correctly, I did see her walking around on Sept 22nd.

But still...I agree with the bulk of your post. I feel like the interactivity will be a novelty for smaller kids, but only until they start crying out of fear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom