News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

kingdead

Looking back on it, the whole Story ngine concept relies on a LOT of labor. Let's say that the original concept for the Smuggler's Run ride went through and the costumed characters would interact with you differently depending on how you did on the ride. That would mean that there would have to be enough costumed characters to make that promise meaningful and that those characters would be able to produce the correct responses in real time. It sounds great in theory but in practice, it would be incredibly difficult to get enough actors for each guest to have a meaningful interaction and even more difficult to get enough actors with the ad lib skills to satisfy the guests.

I can see why they wanted to test this one particular concept in a small space. It's a shame that its creation seemed to mean that there was no traditional character interaction (stage shows, meet and greets) for the regular paying customer.

Incomudro

Looking back on it, the whole Story ngine concept relies on a LOT of labor. Let's say that the original concept for the Smuggler's Run ride went through and the costumed characters would interact with you differently depending on how you did on the ride. That would mean that there would have to be enough costumed characters to make that promise meaningful and that those characters would be able to produce the correct responses in real time. It sounds great in theory but in practice, it would be incredibly difficult to get enough actors for each guest to have a meaningful interaction and even more difficult to get enough actors with the ad lib skills to satisfy the guests.

I can see why they wanted to test this one particular concept in a small space. It's a shame that its creation seemed to mean that there was no traditional character interaction (stage shows, meet and greets) for the regular paying customer.
Yes, I've always said that the idea that cast members would interact with you depending on how you did on Smuggler's Run was something they couldn't possibly have enough actors to do.
I do however wish they employed a number of actors to walk the land and engage in skits to make it look alive.
Barter in the streets, cause a disturbance in a dining establishment, or in the bar etc...

MagicHappens1971

I do however wish they employed a number of actors to walk the land and engage in skits to make it look alive.
Barter in the streets, cause a disturbance in a dining establishment, or in the bar etc...
The problem with this (imo), is that guests are stupid. Guests would then bother those actors and cause issues for the "show". I think it's one of those ideas that works in a bubble, like the Starcruiser. It's a tricky situation, but I totally agree Batuu needs some life.

James Alucobond

The problem with this (imo), is that guests are stupid. Guests would then bother those actors and cause issues for the "show". I think it's one of those ideas that works in a bubble, like the Starcruiser. It's a tricky situation, but I totally agree Batuu needs some life.
For named characters, they would probably have to use inaccessible catwalks and whatnot, which is essentially how some of the show elements on the Starcruiser worked anyway. I doubt costumed randos would get much attention, Storm Troopers aside. I’d be more concerned that their presence would simply be confusing since it might be difficult for guests to discern between cast staffing the store and cast just meant to fill space.

Incomudro

The problem with this (imo), is that guests are stupid. Guests would then bother those actors and cause issues for the "show". I think it's one of those iideas that works in a bubble, like the Starcruiser. It's a tricky situation, but I totally agree Batuu needs some life.
I agree, guest are stupid.
People are stupid.
But Jack Sparrow does an act in Adventureland, the Citizens of Hollywood used to do their act.
I certainly believe that more acts than the Storm Troopers, occasional Rey, and Kylo could be utilized in the land.

Smiley/OCD

I'm going in July and I kinda dread the disappointment that will be lightsaber training.

I gotta ask, could they not have used an actual laser emitter and put heat sensors in a 'training saber'? Commuicate with the emitter via bluetooth to turn the laser on an off with each deflection?
Yeah, but think of the line dancing…

The Empress Lilly

A billion dollar price tag? That seems impossibly high.

If I scribble the basic numbers on the back of my napkin I get
100 rooms at 100% occupancy at highest rate = 100×365×2500 = $91250000

$91m max revenue per year. The operational costs must be astronomical, somewhere in the tens of millions. If it's $40m your perfect case theoretical maximum return is 5.125%. In real life much lower. That doesn't warrant a fairly high risk investment. Unless the vast majority of the cost are development costs that can be shared between several similar or identical experiences. (SW hotels in Anaheim and Paris, or Marvel role playing hotels etc)

MagicHappens1971

U

$91m max revenue per year. The operational costs must be astronomical, somewhere in the tens of millions. If it's $40m your perfect case theoretical maximum return is 5.125%. In real life much lower. That doesn't warrant a fairly high risk investment. Unless the vast majority of the cost are development costs that can be shared between several similar or identical experiences. (SW hotels in Anaheim and Paris, or Marvel role playing hotels etc)
The R&D costs on this project were most likely astronomical.

The development of the Story Engine tech required a test at DLR with the Legends of Frontierland thingy (or whatever it was called).

The Datapad app is uber complex, and required a ton of development, some that can be probably attributed to the original Play Disney Parks app.

The show elements, Bridge Training, Lightsaber tech, etc, it’s not cheap.

asianway

You need to watch some of the vlogs closely because I wasn’t either until the news broke. The bridge has multiple video games that needed programming, all of the cgi that needed to be done for the multiple windows that are programmed to run for 2 days, all the play Disney interfacing, the in room AI droid, I can’t even fathom how much that all cost but those programmers aren’t cheap. They also built the hotel on the other side of the canal so there were likely some wetlands mitigations there and I think the bridge is new. Those box trucks while everyone laughs at them are very much themed. The improvements at batuu for the port entrance are probably also included. The Rodian musician is a new fully articulated character head with voice like the stormtroopers have. All these little and not so little things add up fast.

asianway

I'm sure the idea of bringing SWGS (or similar concepts) to other resorts were thought of, but probably were hinging on the success of SWGS at WDW. I'm sure that it's not being proposed anywhere else, at the moment.
I think Disneyland would have had more success given the local market. Perhaps they were planning on splitting the R&D costs 50/50 and that’s part of what’s being written down if it’s now abandoned

MagicHappens1971

I think Disneyland would have had more success given the local market. Perhaps they were planning on splitting the R&D costs 50/50 and that’s part of what’s being written down if it’s now abandoned
Disneys biggest problem with this project (pricing aside) was that there was nearly zero marketing, and the marketing that was done was poor.

It’s so disappointing to see one of the most ambitious projects to come from Disney (WDI) in recent years be shuttered. It’s also a shame to see the most service driven product produced by DPEP in years shuttered.

All jokes aside from those on here who have hated this from day 1, closing this is not a win for Disney fans.

asianway

Disneys biggest problem with this project (pricing aside) was that there was nearly zero marketing, and the marketing that was done was poor.

It’s so disappointing to see one of the most ambitious projects to come from Disney (WDI) in recent years be shuttered. It’s also a shame to see the most service driven product produced by DPEP in years shuttered.

All jokes aside from those on here who have hated this from day 1, closing this is not a win for Disney fans.
How much would it have cost for Daisy Ridley to cut a promo? The Goldberg’s kid….

MagicHappens1971

How much would it have cost for Daisy Ridley to cut a promo? The Goldberg’s kid….
They also put nearly zero effort into consumer education for this project, so many people would've done this if they knew what it was, and the fact that they didn't attempt to retool this in any way, shape or form before just closing it makes zero sense to me. Taking the presumed $300M write-off instead of trying anything is an interesting choice on Disney's part.

A promo featuring a little girl dressed as Rey with Daisy Ridley (as Rey) on the Starcruiser highlighting a high-stakes adventure as Rey helps smuggle some coaxium on board to help the Resistance and the Captain or something of that nature would've helped sell some families. A similar promo featuring Kylo and a little boy dressed as a First Order Lt, could've helped as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom