News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

kingdead

That story just reminded me that they were expecting people to pay $5k to get access to the equivalent of the Spiderman Stunt Show.

Chapek is going to go down in history as the anti-CEO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Multiple posts in this thread as well as articles like the one that was posted from yahoo.

If you know of different costs feel free to share

So the article from The Wrap says....

You could do it on the Galactic Starcruiser. Delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the rumored $90 billion project finally opened last spring.​

The Yahoo article says...

The 100-room resort, which one ex-Imagineer estimated cost the company more than $1 billion...​

Len's source...

Theres no way this cost less than a billion to build with R&D costs included

That's the number I heard from a WDI who had access to the numbers.

It just seems odd that SWL with all that rockwork and construction and two E-Ticket rides covering 14 acres costs as much as a two story hotel.

Are the DVC towers also coming in at a billion?

Fido Chuckwagon

Easy to retheme MF with a different experience once you board. They should, in fact, and take a page from ST.

As for Rise, more would be needed but could still work if themed around OT and Death Star.
No No NO no no no no. Stop retheming stuff! Just build more stuff! It doesn’t matter what, literally anything. Just build anything. Stop reducing capacity!

A Ferris wheel. A carousel. A freaking spinner. ANYTHING

MagicHappens1971

It just seems odd that SWL with all that rockwork and construction and two E-Ticket rides covering 14 acres costs as much as a two story hotel.

The R&D for this project was most likely the highest portion of the cost. It’s insane how much R&D went into this project. I hope they at least reuse the tech.

Fido Chuckwagon

A Ferris wheel. A carousel. A freaking spinner. ANYTHING
IMG_0904.jpeg

AshaNeOmah

Was any of the “tech” really that novel? Wasn’t it all just screens? I thought most of the cost was the actors.
I'm going in July and I kinda dread the disappointment that will be lightsaber training.

I gotta ask, could they not have used an actual laser emitter and put heat sensors in a 'training saber'? Commuicate with the emitter via bluetooth to turn the laser on an off with each deflection?

lazyboy97o

So the article from The Wrap says....

You could do it on the Galactic Starcruiser. Delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the rumored $90 billion project finally opened last spring.​

The Yahoo article says...

The 100-room resort, which one ex-Imagineer estimated cost the company more than $1 billion...​

Len's source...

Rockwork is not developed over more than a decade with multiple tests in places like Disneyland. I don’t think the $1 billion was exclusive to Starcruiser, but when you start adding in things like Legends of Frontierland which was a public test of Story Engine.
Was any of the “tech” really that novel? Wasn’t it all just screens? I thought most of the cost was the actors.
Those screens aren’t what’s actually powering the experience.

MagicHappens1971

Isn’t it really just the actors powering the experience?
Yes, but no. The "Story Engine" tech is really the power of this experience. Also the only "screens" that you previously mentioned that really have any bearing on the experience is the ones on the Bridge for Bridge Training, it's a super complex system, similar to a video game but if it had many many layers that all had to interact with each other and not lag, in any way shape or form, also while being projected across 4 different projectors. The lightsaber training tech isn't super simple either.

Minthorne

Yes, but no. The "Story Engine" tech is really the power of this experience. Also the only "screens" that you previously mentioned that really have any bearing on the experience is the ones on the Bridge for Bridge Training, it's a super complex system, similar to a video game but if it had many many layers that all had to interact with each other and not lag, in any way shape or form, also while being projected across 4 different projectors. The lightsaber training tech isn't super simple either.
Thank goodness they stopped this in time! History says that Story Engine becomes self-aware on October 3, 2023. Judgement Day.

FettFan

There was previous forum thread when he became chairman that some members were singing praises.

The pixie dusters still do that.
“OMG he was walking in the parks and he waved at us and asked how we were enjoying the parks. We've NEVER seen that before! HE’S JUST LIKE US!”

Lilofan

The pixie dusters still do that.
“OMG he was walking in the parks and he waved at us and asked how we were enjoying the parks. We've NEVER seen that before! HE’S JUST LIKE US!”
There were a few female fans walking in the parks with Josh face plastered on the front of their T shirt. Heartthrob Josh it seems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom