News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

fgmnt

I thought it only had 110 rooms?

It’s too small to run buses to the other theme parks on a regular basis. Plus then anyone could just jump on a bus to visit - takes away some of its mystique.

But if you turn the food court into an ADR location that can only be accessed using the Galaxy’s Edge shuttle, with the checkin at the shuttle terminal, I suspect it will be packed.

The Roundup Rodeo charges $45 for freakin’ BBQ. Space 220 charges an insane $79. Both are really difficult ADRs to get.

Who’s not going to want to ride the “shuttle” to board the Galactic Starcruiser for their $79 meal? :greedy:
This is probably the most sane armchair Imagineering we will see here. I do not know how the general spaces there actually work but making a Pioneer Hall for Star Wars might salvage what would otherwise be a completely worthless capital investment.

MagicHappens1971

I'd be very interested in the cost to run a "cruise". What is their break even point?
It’s gotta be pricy. Due to the “luxury” service, as well as the activities and other things they are striving to provide, it needs more cast than a similar 100 room resort.

Regular CMs aside, the entertainment isn’t cheap.

pdude81

Well, now they can no longer use the excuse of "because of the Starcruiser" not to put things into the DHS version of Galaxy's edge... I wonder what excuse they will use next?

I don't think it was the lack of OT stuff - really, I know a ton of people who wanted to go to this - myself included - but once they saw the pricetag they laughed and forgot about it...

I'd love to see them repurpose some of the stuff here / actors / etc. into more entertainment at Galaxy's Edge.
They have added missions, bounties, and characters into SWGE where those things weren't there at launch.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I still find it interesting that they didn't choose to discount harder. Makes me wonder what the operational costs are and the margin needed for it to be worthwhile. Priced at around $2000, I think it would probably work.
Maybe it was something discounts couldn't fix?

Bad implementation, Bad price point, Bad Economy.

pdude81

I still find it interesting that they didn't choose to discount harder. Makes me wonder what the operational costs are and the margin needed for it to be worthwhile. Priced at around $2000, I think it would probably work.
I think 2 day shifts probably cost a ton for equity cast. Plus they leaned heavily on college program for passenger services crew, and I don't know how reliable that is long-term. My guess is that the first year of bookings on this thing more or less paid for the construction, and now they can do shorter experiences with the dinner show at high cost when they want to.

Disney Analyst

It’s gotta be pricy. Due to the “luxury” service, as well as the activities and other things they are striving to provide, it needs more cast than a similar 100 room resort.

Regular CMs aside, the entertainment isn’t cheap.

Absolutely, apart from the general crew, you have all the entertainment CMS, chefs, etc. The labour cost is likely large.

Notes from Neverland

It was an experiment in a high priced experience that did not work beyond the initial superfans and bloggers. It was doomed as soon as the pricing was revealed at $5000+. A huge number of potential guests at that point just switched off to the project.

It seemed obvious then, and even more so now, but what should have been built was an actual Star Wars hotel, at a price point consistent with other deluxe accommodations at WDW.
This is pretty much a perfect summary. The pool of guests Disney could pull on that could afford the experience at that price and actually wanted to do it just isn't big enough to sustain it.

Honestly, following @lentesta's experience was probably the best content that came out of the experiment. :D

mightynine

While I'm not surprised this ended up not working at that price point, you'd think they could salvage the restaurant and the lightsaber fight parts of it into features of Galaxy's Edge since they were part of the original plans before someone decided to put them behind a mighty high paywall.

But the more I think about it, considering it wasn't built to handle the daily visitors to a theme park, it probably would be literally bursting at the seams.

Indy_UK

Have to say, I am gutted about this as I was slowly saving to go next year or year after.

However, it was very expensive and I do feel the time line may have also worked against it.

I can’t understand what they are going to do with it now?

1. Go and rework the whole experience so it can be done for cheaper to guests.

2. They demolish it and write it off

3. It becomes the WDW execs offices 😂

While I am gutted it’s over… I am very happy that people have clearly shown Disney that there is a ceiling on what people will pay and make them eat some humble pie

lentesta

Premium Member

Has to be labor costs and ROI.

I mean, they're going to take a $90 million hit on the books for something that was supposed to depreciate over ... 30 years? That's a chunk of money, on top of the writeoff for Harmonious already (which I heard was a 20-year cycle).

ParentsOf4

They really overestimated the demand for cosplay vacations. I figured it was about a year or less away from being converted into a regular hotel without the cosplay cruise element. Add a pool and price it like a normal hotel and it might work, but this sounds like it's more likely to be demolished at some point whether that's soon or after rotting for years.
Based on how many attend Atlanta’s Dragon Con, and how many get dressed up, I suspect there’s strong demand for cosplay vacations.

Just not at $2500 per night. :D

gerarar

Premium Member
Honestly shocked it happened this quick. It always seemed like a cool thing to do as it was unique, but the price floor is the big deterrent.

Thought Disney would hold onto their pride & try to keep it running for a few more years by trying all sorts of things to boost demand; eg. reduced prices, less cruises (already/is happening), less staffing, cuts, etc. But with Harmonius, Enchantment, the 50th in general, ... – seems more and more they just want these things gone and move on.

Now the question remains what will happen with the facilities and structures. I doubt they'll raze it immediately, but maybe they'll try to find some use for it. They have a transport "truck" to transport guests from Batuu to the Starcruiser, so maybe elaborate themed dinners or something could be in the works.

Also, build the cancelled restaurant, Disney. Galaxy's Edge clearly needs it.

MagicHappens1971

Now the question remains what will happen with the facilities and structures. I doubt they'll raze it immediately and try to find some use for it. They have a transport "truck" to transport guests from Batuu to the Starcruiser, so maybe elaborate themed dinners or something could be in the works.
I suggested this in different thread. They can close off the hallways where the rooms are, have the dinner theatre accessible from Batuu with the transports and then have lightsaber & bridge training as add ons ($$$) and everyone gets to see the finale show.

The problem would be getting Lucasfilm/WDI on board. This was their baby and they were very controlling of every aspect of it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom