News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

J4546

I really really wish they had not built this and instead invested that money into making GE in DHS bigger and better then the GE in DL. They could have expanded the land south and added another couple rides, food and even given the area another planets theme with the amount of money they sunk into the starcruiser

Last edited:

dmc493

Yes it isn't remotely setup to be a standalone hotel. Could it be modified? Not sure, but it may well end up being demolished or abandoned for someone to do something with in the future.
giphy.gif

quite honestly I hope they find ways to repurpose it all, it's unfortunately placed in a way that would make it awkward to build out more normal hotel facilities. maybe in 5 years :)

Casper Gutman

thank you for acknowledging this. This experience got a lot of unwarranted hate. Yes it was expensive, but as for a new hospitality experience, this was ground breaking.
It featured a lot of concepts that were originally intended to be included in GE but were instead locked behind a giant paywall to keep the riffraff out, so yeah, some hate is deserved.

tallica

It was an experiment in a high priced experience that did not work beyond the initial superfans and bloggers. It was doomed as soon as the pricing was revealed at $5000+. A huge number of potential guests at that point just switched off to the project.

It seemed obvious then, and even more so now, but what should have been built was an actual Star Wars hotel, at a price point consistent with other deluxe accommodations at WDW.
I think timeline was a bigger issue than price. Original Trilogy fans have a lot of disposable income.

GimpYancIent

A great concept at the start yet as everything evolved it was massaged, altered, changed and modified then ridiculously priced. The venue can still be rehabbed, relabeled and presented as a new Star Wars experience (maybe as an Imperial Prison Ship experience) at a much more reasonable price (something reasonable for Rebel Scum).

MagicHappens1971

As a former Starcruiser CP, I am heartbroken. This experience was truly one of a kind, and if you haven’t done it, you can’t understand how truly incredible it is.

Yes, it is very expensive, but it is one of the most unique ideas to come from WDI in recent times. The sheer creativity and manpower that went into designing this 48 hour non-stop show, with video game elements, Light Saber training, and truly unique character experiences is crazy.

Being able to feel a part of a universe many of ourselves have found a home in is so truly unique. I find it so unfortunate the amount of hatred this project got.

**** from Courscant hopes the Stars will Light Our Way

Chip Chipperson

They really overestimated the demand for cosplay vacations. I figured it was about a year or less away from being converted into a regular hotel without the cosplay cruise element. Add a pool and price it like a normal hotel and it might work, but this sounds like it's more likely to be demolished at some point whether that's soon or after rotting for years.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

note2001

Everyone on Facebook is talking about the price, but I still believe had there been actual Star Wars characters and not made up roles with no emotional ties, and a cameo by Rey and Kylo, it would have done better. They could have done so much with the pantheon of great characters and places Lucas created but they decided to go with nothing that made Star Wars the global phenomenon it WAS. I don't care what anyone says, Star Wars is what Lucas created. It's like Disney bought the Lord of the Rings, wrote their own story and characters, and passed it off as the same thing. It's not. Lesson learned.
Some good points here. The writing/script was pretty darn bad. Seems they totally missed the concept of creating the feel of looming evil permeating the air. Kylo Ren is a poor excuse for a villan, he's a toddler throwing a tantrum, who happens to kill people.

Disney needed this to have that OG feel to it. The guests needed to really believe dark forces were at work and they needed to fight to survive. I doubt they could have pulled that off without Vader.

A great concept at the start yet as everything evolved it was massaged, altered, changed and modified then ridiculously priced. The venue can still be rehabbed, relabeled and presented as a new Star Wars experience (maybe as an Imperial Prison Ship experience) at a much more reasonable price (something reasonable for Rebel Scum).
Didn't a certain FL Governor want to build a prison on Disney World Land?

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I still find it interesting that they didn't choose to discount harder. Makes me wonder what the operational costs are and the margin needed for it to be worthwhile. Priced at around $2000, I think it would probably work.

I'd be very interested in the cost to run a "cruise". What is their break even point?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well, now they can no longer use the excuse of "because of the Starcruiser" not to put things into the DHS version of Galaxy's edge... I wonder what excuse they will use next?

I don't think it was the lack of OT stuff - really, I know a ton of people who wanted to go to this - myself included - but once they saw the pricetag they laughed and forgot about it...

I'd love to see them repurpose some of the stuff here / actors / etc. into more entertainment at Galaxy's Edge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom