News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

MrPromey

Exactly. Quantifying feedback from amateur bloggers shilling for comped dinners and room upgrades is not a good business strategy.

If everything is "AMAAAAZING!", then nothing can actually be amazing.
incredibles-syndrome-widescreen-wallpaper-image-mac-768x576.jpg

Close enough!

MrPromey

Do you think if they put something like this in Las Vegas like Universal is doing with the HHN experience it would have done better?

No. I think this would have failed everywhere unless they were doing funny math and comping rooms for big spenders/gamblers out there but if they'd done something like what the LV Hilton did 25 years ago with the Star Trek Experience, it probably would have done absolute gangbusters - hands down better than Star Trek did (financially speaking).

Last edited:

erasure fan1

my side of the camp"? You can't even represent my position right and you're painting this as 'us vs them'... smh. I'm saying its time to give up the "OT or nothing" clenching. Nothing about "forget about the OT".
Because the same thing happens all the time. Someone like myself brings up the OT and how all star wars needs to be represented and here's what we get
So maybe it's time to stop droning about "everyone wants the OT".
Why respond that way to a post that said NOTHING about all or nothing? That's why I said your side of the camp. There's a group of people who constantly jump on anyone questioning Disney and the sequels or bringing up OT representation.

The reality I see is most everyone does want the OT. It's still by far the most popular part of star wars. If you weren't saying give up on the OT, why fight that I said they need to move on from the OT characters in film and tv but need to integrate them in galaxys edge? It comes off as you are being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative because someone likes the OT. Again, hence the "your side".

MrPromey

Why is this 4 minute optional activity out of a 48 hour experience the topic of discussion?

Maybe because usually, it's an optional activity in a better dedicated space without furniture in the way on a 72-168 hour "experience" that costs less money and actually takes you someplace?

On a real ship, it's filler and in a 48 hour experience that isn't really a full 48 hours at that price on a "ship" that isn't going anywhere and where a third to a half of the time is dedicated to checking in/out, sleeping and spending time in a theme park, there shouldn't be a need for filler.

Last edited:

dreday3

Just add some windows, a pool, bring in a hold a sloth experience and call it Zootopia.

The sloths will bring the people.
They will come.
I'd be there at least.

d796777f96ff4e172e47bd1901c95120.jpg

Club Cooloholic

I still think they blew it by having it actually at WDW. People that visit Disney often feel guilty missing park time to swim at the pool too much. Someone doesn't want to spend 6k for 2 days and have the family at the park. WDW parks were too much competition for the hotel. It also took guests out of the immersion if they were going to head over to Star wars land for a few rides. If they placed this outside Chicago, or in Jersey somewhere, I bet it would have been booked more.

CinematicFusion

What are you talking about, that's exactly what they did. There's barely any of the movie characters in the world of witchcraft lands.
Please… the main ride has all the original characters. Disneys version of Star Wars has been underwhelming… and it’s why the hotel didn’t work. The new trilogy doesn’t hold a candle to the original.

TDLFan

As far as moving on from the original trilogy, this is what people need to understand: The Wizard of Oz will always be Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, and Lion. It's timeless. Star Wars will always be Luke, Leia, Ben, Han, Vader, Yoda, ect. It's timeless. They both have become an integral part of pop culture with their characters, story, and music influencing pop culture for decades and will for many more. No matter what else is written about Oz, people will always want to see the Emerald city and the fab four. Disney didn't understand Star Wars historical significance and thought whatever they do with the brand, people will eat it up and here we are. Sure, the new movies made money, but it was the popularity of the others and emotional ties that sold the tickets.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
As far as moving on from the original trilogy, this is what people need to understand: The Wizard of Oz will always be Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, and Lion. It's timeless. Star Wars will always be Luke, Leia, Ben, Han, Vader, Yoda, ect. It's timeless. They both have become an integral part of pop culture with their characters, story, and music influencing pop culture for decades and will for many more. No matter what else is written about Oz, people will always want to see the Emerald city and the fab four. Disney didn't understand Star Wars historical significance and thought whatever they do with the brand, people will eat it up and here we are. Sure, the new movies made money, but it was the popularity of the others and emotional ties that sold the tickets.
For me, this encapsulates the entire Disney Star Wars Trilogy

DCF7D67B-5B24-4C4D-B7E7-618EA0F3188C.jpeg

At the very least I expected a Meet and Greet. They couldn’t even give me that.

Would’ve been a cool picture though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why respond that way to a post that said NOTHING about all or nothing?

Maybe because you inserted yourself into a response doing exact that? You're substituting your own view while ignoring who the original comments were to and what they were responding to.

If you weren't saying give up on the OT, why fight that I said they need to move on from the OT characters in film and tv but need to integrate them in galaxys edge?

I wasn't fighting your point - I was continuing the discussion you apparently were trying to redirect into something else than what it was written for 🤷‍♂️

flynnibus

Premium Member

They didn't make three Wizard of Oz movies in a trilogy either... where EVERY SINGLE MOVIE introduced new lands and characters that prior to that no one had ever heard of before either.

No idea what significance Wizard of Oz as a single movie has verse a franchise that was known for the UNIVERSE the creator mentioned. At least pick something of the same thing... like Lord of the Rings... or Harry Potter. Which are both known for the world building and lore - not just the lead characters.

Zorba

Totally agree. It was the price point. Folks who vacation at WDW are accustomed high prices for everything but when you price something so high it makes them pause, it's not going to work.
Especially if your business plan requires you to sell at nearly $2K/room/nt to break even. If you there wasn't enough margin to discount the price significantly from the original prices it should've never made it out of the concept phases.

I was never that into the idea of a cosplay vacation, not my thing, but I was somewhat interested until I saw the prices. I'd rather go on a week long cruise in a suite.

TDLFan

The difference with Rings and Potter is their creators made them. Start to finish. It's not a fair comparison to a corporation the buys an IP and creates new characters and stories. Both the Wizard of Oz and Star Wars are in the national library for their historical significance. They can expand the universe all they want but it will never capture the magic of what the writer of the property did in that time. Star Wars took the world by storm. Nothing had been done like it and it had a huge impact. Even George's own attempt to expand the universe fell flat. To quote Walt, "You can't top pigs with pigs." What George did was lightning in a bottle. Just like Oz.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Totally agree. It was the price point. Folks who vacation at WDW are accustomed high prices for everything but when you price something so high it makes them pause, it's not going to work.
Like the $3000/night hotel rooms? Or the $800/night holiday inn rooms?

How about an entire ecosystem that conditions people to not only buy those prices a few times... but tells them they should prebuy it at a schedule that expects you to do it every 2-3yrs?

People can bemoan the price point for what it was... but all this whitewashing about price shock is people just repeating their own ignorance from a year plus ago. Disney was never going to price an inclusive experience BELOW what they already sell other hotel-only rooms at.

The whole thing FROM THE START was being priced like an inclusive entertainment experience... but people kept talking about 'the hotel' because they would not let go of what THEY WANTED IT TO BE instead of acknowledging what it actually was.

I think they failed in the execution more than bemoaning the price point. I mean... Disney has to have RESERVATIONS for people lining up to spend hundreds of dollars on lightsabers... which are lesser quality than existing product that has been available for ages.

Having people with more money then sense to pay the price wasn't really Disney's issue -- It was it could not convince enough potential buyers this product was worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom