News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
They don’t build themed hotels anymore…have you noticed?

Certainly not for the poors…

…and now they ruined whatever chance they had for a Star Wars hotel - which Woulda worked - by doing this. As long as anything like this awful management exists

There’s this Spaceship hotel over in Tampa. Okay it’s not really a hotel, more like a room. Okay, it’s not really a room, but it’s pretty cool. Wish they would build more of those.

choco choco

It wasn’t a Star Wars experience… it felt nothing like the original trilogy. That’s what everyone wants. Universal didn’t make the world of witchcraft and then kick out all original characters.

What are you talking about, that's exactly what they did. There's barely any of the movie characters in the world of witchcraft lands.

erasure fan1

Disney was smart to move on from the Luke+Leia+Vader story... you gotta at some point. You can't be thinking you can de-age Mark and Han forever... and we already saw how Solo was poorly recieved.
I don't think anyone would disagree. But here's the problem. It was how they transitioned away from the OT characters that people have issues with, not that they did. The other thing is there is a difference between what people want in the parks v.s. what people want from film and tv. People expect to see what they love in the land. The OT is still by far the most popular part of star wars so wanting to see it in the land is reasonable. Personally I want galaxys edge to celebrate ALL of star wars.

From a film and tv standpoint, it needs to tell new stories. If Kennedy had treated the OT characters with the respect they deserved, most fans would be fine with the torch being passed. Then this OT v.s. ST debate wouldn't be a thing. But what's done is done, and the debate will rage on for years to come.

Last edited:

Screamface

Why not just build a normal hotel with some great Star Wars theming?

It's been discussed plenty. Simply make a large hotel that is affordable with different areas based on some different planets. Don't worry about a story or timelines making sense. You could have various price points. A Naboo themed area could be more premium for example. Have life sized ships and vehicles around the place. Have character meet and greets. People would get a kick out of that. Come back to stay in different themed sections.

Not being narrowed in the focus would free up endless possibilities.

Last edited:

SamusAranX

no point is being missed. merch sells. fans show up. tickets sell.

harping on Disland's opening won't change how big SW is
Again, the main point is missing here; yes SW is a big name and part of the public consciousness but that doesn’t always guarantee massive success if the product is mediocre or even crap.
I don't think anyone would disagree. But here's the problem. It was how they transitioned away from the OT characters that people have issues with, not that they did. The other thing is there is a difference between what people want in the parks v.s. what people want from film and tv. People expect to see what they love in the land. The OT is still by far the most popular part of star wars so wanting to see it in the land is reasonable. Personally I want galaxys edge to celebrate ALL of starvwars.

From a film and tv standpoint, it needs to tell new stories. If Kennedy had treated the OT characters with the respect they deserved, most fans would be fine with the torch being passed. Than this OT v.s. ST debate wouldn't be a thing. But what's done is done, and the debate will rage on for years to come.
I don’t understand the whole de-aging argument for GE. Um, it was never going to be the actors playing cosplay in the parks it would be lookalike cast members. They throw Chewbacca out there, so why not Luke, Leia, Han, Lando lookalikes? Hint: it rhymes with snob liger and Bathleen Bennedy

As far as respectful pass off, we didn’t get a *SINGLE* scene of Han, Luke, and Leia together in the whole dang trilogy. That tells you all you need to know

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think anyone would disagree. But here's the problem. It was how they transitioned away from the OT characters that people have issues with, not that they did. The other thing is there is a difference between what people want in the parks v.s. what people want from film and tv. People expect to see what they love in the land. The OT is still by far the most popular part of star wars so wanting to see it in the land is reasonable. Personally I want galaxys edge to celebrate ALL of starvwars.

From a film and tv standpoint, it needs to tell new stories. If Kennedy had treated the OT characters with the respect they deserved, most fans would be fine with the torch being passed. Then this OT v.s. ST debate wouldn't be a thing. But what's done is done, and the debate will rage on for years to come.
TLDR - sequels bad...

Good news, Disney has already moved on. So maybe it's time to stop droning about "everyone wants the OT". You already have people asking for Mando and other new content in the parks. We already have Dave F actually creating great content and paired with Jon F they are rocking it. So the world moved on from Jar Jar jokes... maybe it's time to move on from droning about the sequels.

Sharon&Susan

If it wasn't for the Desantis feud, that made Disney not doing the Florida campus look like a positive thing for them, I wonder what bit of news they possibly could've hid this behind? Moana or Adventureland Treehouse opening dates?

asianway

Can anyone speak to the quality/quantity of the merchandise? We’re they counting on Star Wars Weekends levels of rabid purchasing in the financials?

I think Mickey plush in Jedi robes sells better than halcyon jewelry all day long.

MagicHappens1971

Can anyone speak to the quality/quantity of the merchandise? We’re they counting on Star Wars Weekends levels of rabid purchasing in the financials?

I think Mickey plush in Jedi robes sells better than halcyon jewelry all day long.
I worked on the Halcyon, the merch sales were pretty crazy. Most guests would buy as many things as they can. Average transaction from 1-4pm on day 1 is ~$900.

The Mickey plush in Jedi robes (that Lucasfilm banned) probably did sell Incredibly well as well.

erasure fan1

TLDR - sequels bad...

Good news, Disney has already moved on. So maybe it's time to stop droning about "everyone wants the OT". You already have people asking for Mando and other new content in the parks. We already have Dave F actually creating great content and paired with Jon F they are rocking it. So the world moved on from Jar Jar jokes... maybe it's time to move on from droning about the sequels.
Who's droning on? It sounds like you are. I'm the one who said "I want ALL" of star wars represented. It's your side of the camp that keeps telling people to forget about the OT and just move on. I'd say maybe it's time to accept that people, and there's a lot of them, still love the OT characters and would like them represented in galaxys edge. Instead of droning on about people moving on from the OT.

DLEXP

I think the Starcruiser will be looked back on as the moment people truly realized just how expensive WDW as a whole had become.

The extreme focus on the high price bled into other aspects of WDW. Starcruiser is $6k for two nights? You can get two nights at the Grand Floridian for $1800!

$1800 for two nights? That’s too high also!

Well how about $500 for two nights at the All Star? And then almost $200 per person, per day for theme park tickets with Genie Plus?

It went almost ignored right after the pandemic with “revenge travel” and all but I think all of the price increases are FINALLY starting to catch up with Disney.

I firmly believe The Starcruiser was one of the worst business decisions WDW has and will ever make. It was a turning point that made many step back and really question the value of a Disney vacation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Who's droning on?
The guy I replied to before you interjected. The same guy who posted...

"No Vader and company equaled this concept never stood a chance. Who wants to see the sequel cast? No one apparently"
"Even a cheaper price tag wasn’t worth it… this wasn’t Star Wars."
"No one wanted to go. No Luke,Han,Leia. No Darth Vader and original storm troopers."
"The problem was the experience. It wasn’t Star Wars. I would have paid the money and wanted to but once I saw it was Disney Star Wars I wasn’t interested. "
"It wasn’t a Star Wars experience… it felt nothing like the original trilogy. That’s what everyone wants."

Any questions?

It's your side of the camp that keeps telling people to forget about the OT and just move on

"my side of the camp"? You can't even represent my position right and you're painting this as 'us vs them'... smh. I'm saying its time to give up the "OT or nothing" clenching. Nothing about "forget about the OT".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom